Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weed Killer Spray prior to Tarmac

Options
  • 16-06-2022 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi, getting quotes for tarmac at the moment. 1 thing that seems to be the home owners responsibility is to spray for weeds ( I guess this covers the tarmac contractor). Is roundup the best thing to spray gravel with before tarmac prep starts and tarmac goes down or is there something better to use to make sure these weeds don't break through tarmac. Most weeds are by the footpath and kerb where there is no traffic. Any suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭standardg60

Yep round Up, get the mix right (100ml to 5l) and spray on a dry day.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Fracking Cylon

Thanks. Roundup is good on the rare occasions I've had to use it. Hopefully they're mostly surface weeds and the roots aren't too deep

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Any of the glyphosate based weedkillers will do the job. I haven't bought some in a while but Gallup has the same active ingredients as Roundup (360g/l of glyphosate) and was a lot cheaper.

Just hope for a dry day and put it out early or late so the sun doesn't evaporate it too fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Are you thinking that round up will prevent seed from coming up? It only works on existing foliage. It has no residual effect.

If you just want to kill what's there then it'll work fine.

Also depends on the weeds. Some can actually pop up through the thicknesses laid on drives. I've seen it happen with horse tail (equisetum).

Oh and if you do use round up, don't use the premixed stuff on offer in garden centers and DIY places, it's diluted down enough to keep you coming back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm just curious OP why the need to spray at all 🤔 surely the Tarmac contractor is going to insure area is level, Lay gravel, prepare & compact before laying tarmac or are they just going to pour tarmac over an unprepared surface 🤔

The preparation of the area before laying tarmac should surely deal with any weed growth in advance.

After tarmac properly laid and rolled its unlikely (not 100% Gaurenteed) that weeds could grow up through it, what will need to be done afterwards is mainta tarmac surface through occasional cleaning, minimising Moss growth and insuring it's not damaged by heavyoads etc.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Fracking Cylon

The area has a big thickness of hardcore already in place, with crushed sandstone as a finished product rolled on top. This is what we are replacing, and where some weeds are growing. Contractor said we don't actually need to spray it, as the material he will be removing to prepare for tarmac should contain the roots etc, but it's safer to spary in my opinion, in case some residual root system remains. Tarmac won't be put down for a few months with wait times, but at least if I spray it now, it should kill exisitng growth, and spray again to kill off any new growth that will have come from new seeds.

Advertisement