Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Analysis

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I had the Ancestry testing done years ago and find it very good, and accurate. Initially I found my first cousin on it from the maternal side and its showing 900cM shared

Recently my paternal first cousin did it and she's only showing as 280cM which I'd well outside the range for full first cousins.

She's not showing as a common ancestors or match for any of the people on my paternal fathers side. So am I correct to assume that given the low cM and the lack of common matches, that my father and his brother were only half brothers?

Also, on the paternal mother's side she's showing a significtly higher cM with people I show as having lower cM. For example, im showing as a 5th to 8th cousin sharing 44cM with a woman, and shes showing 2nd cousin with 140cM.

We have come to the conclusion that they were half brothers, but why would the relationship on the mother's side be much stronger for her?

Ok, it's hard to say without seeing the actual details but several questions to consider:

What are you basing the conclusion that she is a full first cousin on? Have you got documents. If not, I would look at the paperwork first and also the ages of the people involved. E.g., could she be a a first cousin once removed or a second cousin? 280cM is not in the range for a first cousin - see here: https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4/280

Just because it doesn't show common ancestors doesn't mean you don't have them - she may not have a complete tree.

Don't pay too much attention to the distant people and what you compare to her on them. Build out your tree and hers (to see if there's any differences).

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hello. I'm basing the conclusion that she's my first cousin based on the fact her dad and my dad were brothers. They grew up together before dad's brother went to England. I've known her since we were small kids. But the DNA really is suggesting our fathers were only half brothers, despite birt cert information.

The shared ancestors I refer to are shared matches, ie dna matches, not based on the tree which she and I would enter, that way we are sharing ancestors, but based on the DNA, we don't share matches on my grandfather's side at all.

The information seems quite obvious regarding drawing the conclusions but I'm probably grasping at straws at this point

Thanks for clarifying - I wasn't sure if she was a newly discovered cousin or previously known.

Does she have a sibling to test or do you? It does look like they were half-brothers. Are either of them still alive?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

My dad is. But sadly uncle has passed. The other sibling doesn't share the interest

It's always a good idea to test any earlier generations that are willing and able.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

I have about fifteem matches on Ancestry that appear to be descended from a daughter of my great-great grandmother's first marriage. I'm descended from her second marriage. They range from barely half-4th cousins to half-5th-8th cousins. The odd thing to me is that my brother and none of my full 2nd, 3rd and closer 4th cousins also share these matches, not even one. Just me. Does that mean I inherited some bit of DNA that these distant cousins share but none of my much closer cousins do? Seems so odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Yes. I guess you've answered your question, different chunks of DNA were passed down. I've something similar-

On Ancestry.com I have about a dozen tested paternal and maternal side relatives (I call them ‘the club’). Using the ‘shared match’ function. I have been able to categorise about 200 matches into Mat/Pat lines

‘Wayne’ is one pf my mysteries. A 4th to 5th cousin, he matches me at 52 cMs across 3 segments, the longest segment is 42 cM and unweighted shared DNA is 75 cM. At that level he clearly is a relative and according to Ancestry it’s a 99% certainty.

Looking more closely, Wayne and I share eleven matches, from 34 to 20 cMs. However, neither he nor any of those 11 matches share with any of ‘the club’. Also, none of the eleven match with my +/- 200 known maternal/paternal matches. 

Annoyingly Wayne has no tree, is not on Gedmatch, has not replied to emails or even been online at Ancestry for more than a year.

Ancestry should do something to motivate members to respond to emails from matches. e.g. even a few weeks free membership would be a carrot

Unfortunately, a lot of people on Ancestry now seem only interested in ethnicity, at least in the US, and have no tree at all. I doubt they could give any info to queries. My matches recently have mostly been young people with no attached trees.

I have had a couple of unusual experiences in contacting matches. For years I tried to place one close match--2nd-3rd cousin. I was really curious as this person was clearly on my mother's side but shared one close match on my father's side. For greater NYC and generations after immigration, this was quite a find. I finally contacted the person who managed the test who told me my match was the product of a donor egg. I believe they were trying to ID the donor. I didn't have any idea.

More recently, I contacted the manager of another close match's test. My father's side but just couldn't nail it down. The match turned out to be a 94-year-old woman who never knew who her father was. The family was trying to find out. They gave me access to her DNA results and, while I could not be specific--remembering PinkyPinky's immortal words to me--'Tread carefully, Virginia, tread carefully'--I was able to narrow it down quite a bit. They were delighted. They picked one name to give peace to the woman, who died this January. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

A useful table with regards to shared DNA with matches:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Hi all .Just looking to see if anyone can help with a DNA "puzzle " .Think I may have asked this here previously .

Have one particular group of matches on Ancestry (where I did my test ) which I cannot place anywhere .What I know is that they are on my fathers side as no match with my mothers test .

Its a group that at this stage I have 283 people placed in .This group range from 50cM down to 8cM .All apart from 2 or 3 match across just 1 segment .None show more than 20% Irish ethnicity although I am aware this is more based on tree matches etc than anything else .

Unusual thing is that with any of them I would have 20/30 shared matches whereas with even known 2nd/3rd cousins I would normally share perhaps 10 or so matches .With some of them I have upwards of 70 shared matches .Not one person in this group match any test that matches a test I have in another group (Have my matches placed into 24 groups through shared matches ).

None of the attached trees show any Irish ancestry back to 1800 or further and any that I got a reply from had any inkling of any Irish ancestry .One family name occurs in most of the trees but having looked at this family for a few years still cannot make any headway .Any with what looks like a decent family tree seem to originate from the US states of Kansas ,Texas ,Mississippi and Missouri and most that have a location attached seem to be still based in that general area of the US .

Not really looking for genealogy help ,rather someone who could explain if this is an anomaly or where should I be looking .Have my test on My Heritage Gedmatch etc and its the same story on there with any of this DNA match puzzle .

Any and all suggestions/questions welcome

50cM or smaller mean they are distant matches. They may be an endogamous population too.

My first thought is that somewhere along the way, they have a misattributed parentage, that is undocumented and has skewed all their research.

They could also be Ulster-Scots who weren't in Ireland more than a generation or two.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Agree that 50cM is distant although have 3 known 3rd cousins with whom I share less than that .

The Ulster Scots part is possible but unlikely as all my fathers ancestors back to at least 1800 came from within 5 or 6 miles of where we still live in the South East of Ireland .

Not really worried about placing them in my tree ,rather I was amazed at the amount of shared matches plus the fact that not a single one is a shared match to any test that is placeable in my tree .

Presume the endogamous population would explain the number of shared matches I have with each one .Looking at online trees the vast majority seem to have been in that part of the US since before 1800 .

Then again one person getting it wrong ,convinced they are correct ,and loads copying details from that tree could explain a lot .

Kinda resigned to the fact that my tree /DNA included ,is probably back as far as possible for a "normal" Irish tenant farmer/labouring family .No missing great grand aunts/uncles etc that I am aware of so have a lot of the sideways stuff done at this stage .

I wouldn’t fret about it. Everyone has matches that make no sense, often it's the algorithim. Also, I rarely bother with matches below 20 cMs unless their tree bears a name from my tree. Most ‘public’ trees online have errors, arising from copy/paste of incorrect info. or jumping to the wrong DNA conclusion. The latter is the latest plague. One match, a 2nd -3rd cousin at 102cMs has a tree that is total rubbish, connections to wrong brothers, links to a cousin instead of a sibling, etc. Why bother inputting rubbish data!? There is no point in discussion with those people, they want ‘their’ genealogy, so let them have it. Another match, at 50 cMs, had some info and more importantly, an interest, and working together easily showed us to be  third cousins once removed. It's the hope of a lucky find that keeps me persisting, otherwise I would have quit years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

How common is it for Irish people to score 40-50% Scottish on AncestryDNA tests?

My mother hasn't taken it, but some of her brothers and sisters have and they're each scoring between 40-50% Scottish for some reason even though we don't have any known Scottish ancestry. My mums family are all nordies (catholics) btw.

I'm 80% Irish 20% Scottish, which appears all my "Scottish" comes from my mum and my dad would've been close 100% Irish.

The short answer is that branches of your mother’s ancestral family settled in Scotland and had children there.

Assessing ethnicity is not yet an exact science. Trying to separate Northern English, Northern Irish and Scottish ancestry is futile. Apart from seasonal and permanent population migrations between all those places, several identical surnames have completely different origins in those regions. Ancestry.com’s results on ethnicity/origin are algorithm based, built by them on the geographic distribution of the surnames of those who have taken DNA tests. So there are several biases, such as human (conception of the formula) and interpretation of the available data.

Did you see Ancestry is about to update its DNA estimates again this month? Last time was April.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I wonder will there be a deluge of new matches along with the update?

Genealogy Forum Mod

I think the ‘Update’ result will depend on two factors, the first being how Ancestry has modified its algorithms.  Hopefully some of these new tweaks will be based on customers using the ‘Do you recognize them?’ tab and allocating matches to paternal or maternal sides.  If the algorithm parameters used have been more precisely defined it could actually diminish the match count, as it could/should exclude some ‘clutter’. The other factor depends on Ancestry’s marketing department. In the past I’ve noticed my new match numbers diminish prior to an announcement and then followed by a splurge of them to hype the new announcement. Currently I’m getting a steady trickle of rubbish matches, 95% of them <10cMs, the rest <18cMs.  Those few matches with trees have no shared ancestral names and none have recognizable ‘shared matches’ (except for a couple matching with my bugbear, the elusive ‘Wayne’ ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mindhorn

I have a 113 cM match on Ancestry (so 2nd - 3rd cousin) but I can't figure out the connection. The Leeds Method didn't help and I only have four shared matches (one replied to me but wasn't able to help). He doesn't match my father so this may be a stupid question but I presume the connection then has to be on my mother's side? Or is it possible at this amount of shared DNA to match me and not my father, but be related to both?

If he doesn't match your Dad, it's safe to assume it's a maternal match.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Has anyone returned a DNA kit recently to FTDNA?

An Post refused to send one for me today, after taking it last week. It was returned as improperly barcoded. I was honest about the contents when posting last week. I sent one in May successfully and was told by An Post that they shouldn't have taken it.

The excuse was no biological material on commercial flights - they use Aer Lingus to send post to the USA.

Genealogy Forum Mod

My new Ancestry DNA results just showed up. Almost no difference from April except that 2% of my small Spanish DNA has magically been transformed into Scottish. 85% Irish, up 1% but down 9% from the results given before the April 2022 estimate.

Yes, I'm the same - very little difference from before the update.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Not much change for me.

94% Irish

2 % English

2% Welsh

2% scottish

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭55Gem

I've lost 2% Ireland and gained 2% more Wales, no change on Scotland, my sister's got the same change. She was 100% Ireland before but has 2% Wales now.

What I found interesting though is the way they divided it up between the parents.

I had Scotland on Parent 1 and Wales on Parent 2

Now I have Scotland and Wales on Parent 1 and Wales on Parent 2

so I expected my sister would get her 'new' bit of Wales on Parent 1 but no it's on Parent 2.

So looking at the break down my extra 2% Wales is divided between both parents 1% more on both.

It's all a bit mad ☺️

Gets a bit madder.

My sister's daughter also has her DNA on Ancestry and just had a look at her parent break down, because her mother is on there as well they give her parents as Maternal and Paternal. She has got no Wales but has got 3% Scotland from her mother. The same mother who only has Ireland and Wales.

Post edited by 55Gem on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

My results after update.

Ireland - 78%

Scotland - 22%

I have no known Scottish ancestry.

I'm still showing up as only 2% French despite discovering last year that my birth father is Breton which really highlights the flawed nature of their ethnicity estimates.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I agree that the Ethnicity test is an estimate but to be fair it should be noted that all DNA databases for France are tiny because DNA testing is basically illegal there. (It can be done, but only through a doctor and the results obtained from him/her.)

My new result has changed from 97% Irish, 2% Welsh, 1% Sweden/Denmark. I've now lost my Welshness to Ireland but retain my Scandi DNA.

Advertisement