Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have Johnnie Walkers chipper closed down?

• 30-04-2022 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Saturday April 30 and Walkers are not open? Have the closed down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

What? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irelandjnr

I don’t eat carbs anymore, just checking for a family member. A couple of people said closed for good, but no proof of final close at this point. Let’s see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

A Waterford institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Can't imagine it's a permanent closure.

Weren't they only hiring new staff recently?

A great shame if it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭914

A few people saying on Facebook that it's closed due to retiring and no one from the family wanting to take it on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

In typical walkers tradition it does seem to have just shut out of the blue. Great fish n chips but Jesus what shower.

Where to get the fish from now is the father's only question, had to get it for him there cause he's so picky with it 🙈

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,782 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

thats a surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,712 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yep apparently it's up for sale as the family don't want to run it anymore.

Such a pity going to be a huge loss for Waterford and its hard to see someone keeping the name and suppliers. Could end up becoming a kebab takeaway style place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭914

A bit like Dooley's buying Cumminghams in Tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

They were always very tight with their portions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irelandjnr

Cunningham’s especially @friendlyfun

Jesus Cunninghams that's a blast from the past

Wonder could Dooleys do something similar again and buy Johnny Walkers. Could they Fancy Chips in Tramore place move into the city .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I agree. The food might be nice but when you compared it to the chippers nearby that give you a heap of chips there really was no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Motivator

I never got the obsession with Walkers. I always thought the food was awful, never once enjoyed a bag of chips from there on the rare occasion I ended up eating them over the years.

He never evolved to compete with the much superior chippers in the area. Dannys for example would give you a massive bag of chips for a decent price, as well as pizzas and delivery service. Same for Hot Corner, better portions, taste and service.

Meanwhile Walkers have the same menu since 1991, very stingy portions on ancient white paper and sausages you need a microscope to see. I agree with you, i dont get the love for that place at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I hated the place, but it was more to do with the ownership and the fact that my father wouldn't get a feckin take away from anywhere else when I was growing up.

But there is something to be said for their method of cooking and their use of lard etc. That we have gotten completely saturated with the Italian style chipper shouldn't take away from that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

I saw one of the older blondes one night trying to convince a customer she wasn’t a vegetarian, because she asked for a veggie burger, was hilarious to listen to her, Then to watch herself and her fellow blonde constantly eat the head off the younger staff, place was a comedy show,

Only went there for the scallops and definitely not the microwaved burgers

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

I used to love what I called the kamikaze burger,it was nuked and felt only warm to the touch,but when you bit into in ,the piping hot onions would scald the mouth off ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Their chips were gorgeous and the large chip was massive. Couldn't fault them for that or the fish but everything else forget about it

Don't know about ye but id love a few Scallops and Battered Sausages from Walkers right now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭psnKOB79LFC

Amazing chips, no other chipper comes close.

Plenty of them do. Take a walk up Barracks Street and expand your palette if you think Johnny Walkers is the best.

Barrack St. Hot Corner and a sham of a Danny's Takeaway?

Dannys do proper portions of delicious chips, unlike Walkers pathetic handful of chips wrapped up in paper. The place is stuck in a time warp. Dannys and Hot Corner offer a wider variety and much better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭nomoedoe

Dannys and Hot Corner offer quality food?,yeah they have more variety but you must be joking in saying that its quality, when the Italian couple ran Dannys it was the best chipper in town since they left its had loads of different owners and the quality went down hill very fast ,and hot corner is up there as one of worst take aways in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Valhalla90

Walkers were always a bit mean with the portions the past few years!

No pint argueing with him. He has no taste buds. Danny's 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Johnny Walkers wasn't worth the money for the stinger about of chips you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Johnny Walkers went downhill years ago and they were a rip off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Nah you’re thinking of the wrong place, they stayed on mayors walk

Advertisement