Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to do something about election posters?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It was relatively harmless in the old days when it was cardboard and twine, and of course there was no internet to get your message out back then. But now it's plastic posters, plastic ties, none of it recyclable and usually the ties are left there to poke the eye out of unwary tall people (it's ridiculous how many posters get crammed onto the more popular lampposts in Dublin city centre, so the bottom one is often at head height)

Then there were some truly offensive posters in 2015 and 2018 from the No side (I would have said 'sides' but it's always the same crowd) displayed prominently for weeks on end. A particularly explicit one went up right outside my kids' primary school during the abortion referendum campaign. It didn't last the night... this in what for years has been a voluntary no-postering area which works well. All of the approach roads to the village centre always get plastered with posters though so overall the number of posters in the area is the same...

About 15 years ago a sitting TD in my constituency had the "brainwave" of making her posters (text-only, no picture) in the shape of yellow diamonds the same size as a road sign, how flippin' stupid was that?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Or scrap them completely

I don't need them anyway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Absolutely, they are a massive blight. You could start with enforcing current rules on them, but even those are too generous.

Beyond being aesthetically offensive, they are also dangerous in terms of crowding out actual important signage.

Advertisement