Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you cut back on anything due to costs?

• 13-06-2022 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Have you cut out or cut back on much recently due to escalating costs?

Personally, Mrs Mellie and I don't visit restaurants as often. and we won't be holidaying in Ireland this year. I do appreciate and realise that the last sentence shows that I'm not poor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Sold my petrol guzzler and bought an efficient diesel. I needed to change car anyways so this seemed like the best choice. Second hand cars are expensive, but people seem turned off diesel, so there are a few bargains about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

I have cut back on putting all my jobs through the books as my taxes along with others aren’t being spent correctly.

KY jelly.

I use deep heat now instead as I'm buying it for my back anyway.

Saving a fortune.

Also gave up Crisps.

I'm looking at yachts now with the savings.

Ching ching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Had to cut out the morning jumbo breakfast roll, not paying over 6 euro for it, the greedy fooks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Completely removing staying in an Irish hotel for the foreseeable future. Booked a week in Spain with flights at €125, accommodation not booked yet but I'm certain it'll work out cheaper than a weekend in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Yip, keep looking for a quick weekend away but quite quickly talk myself out of it and book 3-5 days elsewhere for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Nope, spending more than ever, 2nd holiday abroad coming up, had spa weekend just gone and new car on order, lots of gadgets bought as well past few months. Don't even have to go work since I never had a job and got lucky with a council house in Blackrock

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dingaan

I have cut back on my purchase of fine wines. I still buy them, just not at the same rate as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'm charging my phone at work now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

I put a bung down the sewer to catch the bog roll and reuse it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Nope. But I was never extravagant to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I have definitely cut back on eating out and treats like the odd takeaway coffee.

The times we do eat out, I gasp internally at the bill. Some shock.

There is a local takeaway that does a €6.50 lunch deal so we'll be getting that from now on, to have a break from cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I can’t understand that most restaurants and take aways are still open if people can’t afford them anymore??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Unsubscribed from Netflix, too much woke propaganda in addition to the price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I take my bowel movements at work to save on the water rates.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

I'm getting a tad obsessive about turning lights off. We've binned off some of the subscriber channels. Stopped using the tumble dryer as much. Have also, for the first time starting meal planning for the week to stop us from wasteful supermarket spending. That one has really made a difference.

We don't eat out anyway so couldn't cut back there. We've changed the raw meat supplier for the dogs and the bill has dropped from 70 quid a week to less than 30.

We lost our gorgeous Deerhound to bone cancer a couple of months ago. My normal response to a pet dying is to go and buy another but not this time. Mostly due to the fact that puppy prices in the uk were massively inflated by lockdown and I think that paying 3 or 4 thousand pounds for a pup is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

You wouldn't maybe consider your next pet to be a rescue adoption, one of those lockdown puppies that were just dumped when people got bored of them? Much cheaper than a 3-4k designer pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Mixed breeds are smarter and healthier anyway, less chance of genetic disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Cut back on takeaways and junk food. I buy everything in lidl now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Supposed to be getting married next year . We booked it in 2020 so expect the hotel to advise us of a massive price increase soon . Will decide then whether to postpone

Things for my model railway.

In April 2020 purchased a collector train pack for €194.99 including shipping from the only provider in Ireland

In 2022, a slightly modified train pack of the same loco will cost you ... £ 241.99 sterling

Whilst it is not a collector item ( I run it every 3 months ) my unit won't be visiting any exhibitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So far I haven't had to make any cuts yet, but I'm lucky enough to WFH pretty much full time which is a huge saver - diesel (plus the associated costs - tyres, servicing and wear and tear repairs), lunches, takeaway coffees etc

If I still had to go into the office every day, my diesel bill alone would be about 800 quid a month at the moment (I used to do about 1200km per week).

I don't know how anyone travelling in from a county or two away like I used to is doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,712 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Making own lunches which I've done for a while now. Taking tea in a flask when out and about.

Only get in Netflix during the autumn/winter months or when there's a batch of stuff worth watching, then unsubscribe again.

Clearing out clothes I'm never going to wear to charity, wearing out the ones I have. Anything not presentable gets cascaded to dirty outdoor jobs and then cleaning rags, then bin.

Camping out in decent weather instead of hotels.

Bus or cycle instead of taxis.

Selling off anything I'm never going to use online.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Less cuts so far than better management of expenses. Going back to an old habit of using monthly spreadsheets and the equally useful shopping lists. Gets you thinking about what you spend before it happens! Also now budgeting per week for more control.

On energy, heating is now an absolute need to use and jumpers making a comeback inside! Aim here is to have heating off until at least late September. Electricity is the usual lights and devices off and deciding if you really need a 2 hour+ washing cycle for moderately dirty clothes.

On fuel, buying what I need per week and 80-90kph is now my absolute limit.

FYI: UK-focussed page listing general gadget electricity usage. Cost is based on 25p KWh

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

+ @joseywhales

I'm pushing 60 now and have lived with multiples of dogs most of my life and at least 80% of those have been rescued and they've all been adored :) We've had mixed breeds often too. Even Tullah who I described as a Deerhound was actually mixed, she was mostly deerhound with some greyhound and a smidge of collie. Sadly though the hybrid vigour didn't prevent her early passing.

It might not have been clear in my post, but I'm not getting any more dogs now. It's not just about the initial outlay, even if that's minimal with rescues, it's the weekly upkeep y'know? Feed, vets, insurance etc all mount up and we're coming up on retirement age when every penny will count and in keeping with the thread we are making changes in how we live. 😬☺️

Virtually all good UK Magazines are now going ahead of the critical €10 cutoff for me. I'll go without.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Sort of saw this on the horizon 4 years ago. Since then...

Stopped buying petrol.

Bought a camper instead of going to hotels in Ireland and abroad.

Started buying more cheap cuts for dinners & lunches. (think Chicken Chasseur)

Walk or cycle for the small stuff.

Buy my wine & spirits in France

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Whiskey, massages and hotels in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement