Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nct

Options
  • 13-06-2022 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi all..

My car will have nct done in a few days . My dash notification says one malfunction which has been corrected. My mechanic didn't cancel it off the dash. He is away for about a week.

My question is do nct people want dashboard notifications clear before test.

Tkx.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭User1998

If the car is diesel they won’t carry out the emissions test with an engine light on.

Petrol cars are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. That might clear the error

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Irishweather2

I would caution against removing the battery depending on the car.

Newer cars tend to need a diagnostic tool when installing a battery to reset the Battery Monitoring System, so disconnecting for a few minutes might do more harm than good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what's the malfunction light?

for example, my old car used to flash up a brake wear warning because of a frayed wire from the sensor; they should fail you on actual brake wear, not the car's own sensor reading. so it wasn't an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Most cars will have a manual way of resetting warning lights. Have you tried Googleing how to manually reset the error?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

Yeah you can reset service lights on most cars but you can’t get rid of engine lights, abs lights, airbag lights etc without clearing the codes through the OBD port

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sunshinereggae

Similar problem, I have an intermittent battery light coming on, car is charging fine, mondeo 1.8 tdci, does anyone know if it comes on during test is that a fail?

Yeah, but the poster said that most cars have a manual way of resetting warning lights, which isn’t true. I wouldn’t call what you described a ‘manual’ way of doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

There won't be if it's anything but a service due light...I strongly suspect the issue has not actually been fixed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 peannoir

Hi folks. I know this thread is a few months old but I have a query sort of similar to the OP. Would value any views. Have the old NCT next week. Have had a service light on for a while (the car and spanner). I know (mechanic checked) that its a radiator fan issue. Absolutely no problems with the car. Mechanic reckons might only be an issue if I was idling for a long time. Problem is, that its proving very hard to get replacement part. Certainly wont have it by test date. So my question is, does anyone know if a service light on is an issue with them or are they more concerned with warning lights? Does it maybe depend on where you are being tested? I am thinking of mentioning it to tester anyway and see if I get them on a good day.......I expect (hope) the car would go through on everything else so will be a right pain if this is what puts it down. Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,382 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A service reminder light won't cause a fail if that's what you are seeing.

If it's a diesel they will refuse to do the emissions test with the the engine management light on which means you can't pass in the current state if it's a diesel. My advise would be to get it fixed or otherwise get the light reset in the minutes before the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 peannoir

Hi there. Thanks for the response. Its a petrol car. Definitely not the engine light. Problem is finding it hard to get the part. I'm going to try the reset for sure but if it stays on I will just mention it and see how it goes. Cheers again for the insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Giddyupupup

I have a 2017 vw passat for test. Bloody front assit not working light in dash. Needs re aligning. Got it done 5 months ago at a cost of 300 and its off again. Should this light effect the outcome of the test seeing as all its effecting is the cruise control

Soit will still pass the obd test with this warning light on

You can’t fail an OBD test. It’s just an advisory

It was advisory in 2021 to phase it in think you can fail it from 2022 onwards depending on what comes up

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tantalum73

This is correct information . OBD failures are not yet implemented .

Advertisement