Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decided to sell all my shares (modest amount but decent profit)

Options
  • 13-06-2022 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

I've built a modest portfolio for about 2 years, with some spare money. Total of approx €11k and made a nice profit of almost €5,500 in 2 years. I got a bit nervous with the possibility of recession and decided I might enjoy some of the profit and put the original sum elsewhere.

I didn't want to risk losing the nice bit of profit... Was I being too cautious?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭AnF Chuckie egg

Post edited by AnF Chuckie egg on

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Burti16

As a former financial planner in a different country and trading over 20 years, I can easily say that the biggest mistake for small investors is being emotional (e.g., fear of selling a stock at the wrong time, fall in love with a stock, being impatient etc)

What I always suggest is to set a limit where you sell your investment. When you reach the top or bottom of the limit, regardless of the trend, just execute your sell order.

So, what was your earning target? If you reach that point, don't think twice

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭SunnySundays

Take the profit and reinvest the original amount while stocks are low.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Trawler1954

🤣🤣🤣

We have 260000 wirh KBC for the last 5 years

We got 565 euro interest

fucking wonderfulk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

I'm opposite end of the spectrum, need a chunk of money unexpectedly next few weeks, while also having a good lump coming to me from business transaction so I've sold out most of my shares to use the balance for unexpected requirement and also using the CGT loss to offset CGT liability coming from business transaction. Going to get back in for the long term in about two months but will re-evaluate some of the picks and might not re-invest into all that I had held

Advertisement