Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 4A for €199 on Vodafone - No need to switch number

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Liking my Pixel 4a 5g, but just noticed that when you connect to a PC to archive photos, it won't show preview thumbnails. Seemingly this is an issue with Pixel phones. Very bleedin annoying indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

Looking on the Vodafone site and I see the Redmi Note 9T (5g) for 129.99 when you switch which seems like a great price.

But when going through the check out process, you have to pick a plan (Vodafone X/ Chat extra/ Extra unlimited, and then it talks about a re occurring monthly charge for the chosen plan. Am I right in assuming they setup a direct debit to take the price pf the plan automatically each month rather than having to top up myself? I don't intend on staying with Vodafone so don't want the hassle of having to cancel a direct debit with them.

thanks

EDIT : I forgot... How can I suss out if the phone would be unlocked? No use to me if it's locked to Vodafone..

Post edited by Anjunadeep on

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭nephster

No, there is no direct debit or anything like that; if you want to avail of those plans, there is a recurring cost per month to top-up. But you don't have to!

The Redmi is unlocked - a different part of the Voda site states that Xiaomi phones are all unlocked, plus a few others from other Chinese firms.

HOWEVER - I've been attempting to buy this for a week; any phone that is on a switch offer (i.e., where you enter your own number and it texts you a code) cannot be bought for the offer price as it says "something has gone wrong" every time. I do receive the text code, it accepts it, it asks when I want to switch, but then I cannot proceed further. This is on multiple machines and with multiple browsers. I'd been lucky on previous offers and had been able to get the Pixel 3a and 4a on offer.

I'd love to hear if anyone has been able to buy one this week!

thanks for that. Very informative.

Yes, I've been running into the same error message. I get the security code via text which the site accepts, but then I get that same error message you are getting :/

• Registered Users Posts: 31 gallygof

Had same issue when buying pixel 4a...tried 3 times but for refunded each time..no problem when ordering 3a last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Labelled

I had a similar issue with the pixel 4a. I could not buy it now matter what I did. It was a real Saga. I went into multiple stores and spoke with 10+ people. You might get the offer honoured in store of you're lucky.

I was not lucky.

Really depressingly poor service from Vodafone. It is right up there with Eir in terms of complete incompetence and an indifference to the fact they could not provide the most basic function of their company.

Looks like they have fixed the website.

Managed to order a Redmi Note 9T, finally.

I spent yesterday DMing back and forth with them on Twitter, and they said they were going to punt it on to their web team. Like you, I then ordered the Redmi this morning.

Went into my account and the order has been cancelled. Gah! So you might want to hold off on that celebration.

Weird, my order seems to have went through fine. I received a dispatch email with a An Post tracking reference a couple of hours ago.

As the previous 15 pages attest, and those of previous threads on the Pixel 3A, there seems to be literally no way to predict when it will work or not. It's a truly bizarre way for a supposedly reputable firm to allow a web shop to operate. Had been successful with three previous orders, so I guess it's my time to suffer! According to the Twitter CS agent my order didn't generate a shipping code, but quite how that could be possible is anyone's guess.

Ordered a third time so fingers crossed; otherwise it's the Xiaomi Note 10 5G from Three, I think, which should also be unlocked and is €150 on a switch offer.

Post edited by nephster on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭JDxtra

VF are laughable, imagine any online store where items are in stock, paid for in full by valid customers with valid addresses - and then for no reason orders get cancelled. Imagine doing this and not telling the customer. Then imagine dealing with the countless complaints from such customers about the problem.

You think at this point there may be a lightbulb moment, but nope - the VF customer service robots just carry on reading their scripts.

Then imagine having this issue for over a year and nobody notices (or cares) within Vodafone management.

Yeah, great work there Vodafone. Morons.

Because Anne O'Leary, CEO, is more interested in pushing feminism, diversity etc. at the risk of running a proper commercial website. Vodafone UK site a completely different story (for the better).

Well, that's four cancellations for me on the Note 9T; creating a different account made no odds either. Not able to do Click and Collect as no Dublin stock.

So, ordered the Note 10 5G from Three instead. Funny thing is I actually have the Pixel 4a (which I'm keeping) from this offer; this is an attempt to get the father-in-law an upgrade from an old iPhone 5S.

Good luck to anyone else trying. The whole Voda site was down for hours earlier; not a good look for a telecommunications company.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭shatners bassoon

Google "Anne O'Leary vodafone", count the results with low carb diet, diversity, sustainability, diversity, menopause, women in leadership, charities, and how to deal with a **** commercial website. Loads of them. Bar the last 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭KildareP

Vodafone as an organisation is a complete mess. I remember trying to get a corporate fibre line reactivated into one of our buildings. The line was already in situ from a previous tenant with them, it was theirs, all they had to do was liven it up. We still had their fibre node from its previous life all ready to go.

I tried calling them on corporate sales, but you could only schedule a callback. I filled out their website sales form. I emailed corporate sales. I rang corporate support - who scheduled a callback.

After a week, I called another ISP who had us up and running on a microwave link in just over a month that has worked solidly since.

I still haven't got a callback from Vodafone...

Sorry, maybe offtopic for a Bargain Alert! But point is they don't give a toss as a company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Pixel 6A announced... Keep an eye out on VF site soon!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

VF appears to have sold out Pixel 4a already and Pixel 5a isn't even sold in Europe, so there will be no sale.

• Advertisement

We're on about the 6A (if I read your message correct? :-))

He's saying that the Pixel 5a wasn't sold by Vodafone so don't get your hopes up about the Pixel 6a.

Understood. I'd fully expect the 6A to be in VF as it will be available in Europe. Time will tell :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭xtal191

The 5a wasn't released in Europe, although it'll be a long time until the 6a is on sale if ever so I def agree don't get your hopes up

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭breeno

6a goes on sale in Europe on 28th July. Will be 459 here supposedly so don't expect any crazy bargains to begin with at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭flanzer

It would want to be seriously cheap with other phones coming onto the market soon, like Realme GT Neo 3 and Redmi with the K50 (both with 150w charging), and the OnePlus Ace also. Personally, decent battery, and faster charging trumps camera quality. Most new phones have decent camera quality anyway.... In saying that, my next phone might be a Pixel 6! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Anyone that broke their 4A 5G screen and think it is still worth repairing, but not for €200+, the screens with digitizers have dropped in price to €109 (€145 delivered). It's €40 less than when I last looked, and could drop more, but the repair centre prices seem to have gone up quite a bit, they were available for €190 earlier this year.

So a cheaper screen, and Google have already started adding pixels to the right to repair scheme, the 4A 5G is due soon. There are already guides, but the official one should make things a lot easier.

Hopefully the screens drop a little more too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Your first link isn't working. This is great to see. I kept my Nexus 5 going for ages. Replaced the screen twice and battery once. They were pretty cheap and it was such an easy phone to repair it just made sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭yellowbear

Anyone have issues with battery life?

Mine is gone awful and a factory reset with a clean install didn't solve it.

It's still under warranty so thinking of doing an RMA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yeah mine is woeful. Thinking of upgrading to a Pixel 6 but not sure the battery life on that is great either.

Advertisement