Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dublin park-charge-and-ride?

Options
  • 09-06-2022 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am planning to visit Dublin for an event in the city centre. With an ICE vehicle, it would probably make sense to use a park-and-ride (the Red Cow suits perfectly).

However, I'd rather charge the car while at the event. Are there any park-and-rides with (AC) chargers? Or just AC chargers usable as park-and-rides, with a LUAS stop nearby? I could not google any out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭innrain

Stillorgan 2x2AC + 1triple Sandyford 2AC, Carrickmines 2x2AC all P&R Carrickmines cheaper easier to access @J15 on M50

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Well yeah but this adds a good half hour for me, compared to Red Cow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Seemingly, there are 4 chargers in the Red Cow Park & Ride. Google is your friend here.....

Dublin – EVIOM

Redcow Luas Park and Ride : charging station in Dublin (chargemap.com)

You could also try to park in the Red Cow hotel car park, they have a charger available. Only takes a couple of minutes to walk from there to the LUAS stop.

Red Cow Morans Hotel : charging station in Dublin (chargemap.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭innrain

The ones at the Red Cow Luas P&R were removed few years back. The problem with train station charging is that being just 2 outlets, very likely they are in use from early morning and no chance for someone who drives in from the country. And this shows the lack of infrastructure. They've installed these chargers back in 2012, upgraded them but never went up in numbers. In fact they went down according to this article from 2012

I stand corrected on the Red Cow P&R then. Funny how the EVIOM article I found was from April this year though 🙂

There are definitely 2 in the Red Cow Hotel though so that could be an alternative. It is paid parking in there. Otherwise, there are apparently 2 chargers in Heuston Station but as said already, they could be in use by the time you get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I'd never rely on a destination charger if I was only going somewhere for a few hours. Take a fast charge on the way to Dublin for 10/15 mins and likewise on the way back and you shouldn't have to worry about finding somewhere to AC charge for the day. You can then park wherever is most convenient

I have a 2019 e-Soul, not a Tesla. 15 mins is not going to cut it if I have no slow charger.

My motorway range, going 120 kph, is about 300 km (I could bring the range up a lot by going 100 kph but on a long journey this has a significant time impact). My total journey, more like 500 km. So I need to pump roughly 50 kWh into the car (this estimate includes the charging losses). And the typical power I get from rapid chargers is circa 50 kW, though the car is supposed to be capable of 70.

Therefore I'm looking at a total of an hour of rapid charging. And because of the 45 minutes overstay fee I need to do that in two instalments.

Now, the total time I'd need on an AC charger to get this power is seven hours (the e-Soul only uses a single phase for 7 kW). I might not get exactly that, but if I get 4-5 hours, the remaining rapid charging time is far easier to manage.

(Also considering a bus journey because of all this trouble. But the Ikea leg of the journey will then become weird, though still doable).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Is this why you want to park and ride? just to get it charged for the trip home? Its a lot of hassle, even if you get a charger, not something I would bother with. Some chance with a e-soul lmfao with a fluence.

Fluence? The 2012-2013 vehicle, one of the first EVs? 185 km range and 7 kW charging? I'd not even risk a Limerick to Dublin return with that...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,370 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

• Advertisement

Uh-oh... Definitely a no-no for an intercity drive.

The winner was Moran's Hotel Red Cow parking. I paid 10 Euro for parking the car for the day, but the charger was free and worked well (though a bit weird: the car first reported just 1.2 kW then the number gradually increased). It did require my own cable, as is typical for AC chargers.

I started from home at a 100% charge and drove 200 km on the motorway to get there. After seven hours' parking-and-charging, I found the car at 100% again; circa 40 to 45 kWh was pumped in, which, together with the parking, is VERY good value at 10 Euro!

The only (minor) downside is that it took some time to walk from the parking to the bus stop, crossing the road over a long bridge. Then no.13 goes straight to the centre. On the way back, the bus stops right by Moran's. While the Luas is reachable, it is approximately a 20 minute walk as I understand, so the bus seems to be a better choice.

Glad you got sorted in Moran's.

Incidentally, no way is the Luas a 20 minute walk from there but at least the bus got you to town and back. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

If someone just done a google maps search it comes up at 18 minutes... but if you look at the actual route.. theres big sections of it that can be just cut off, ie not walk around the carpark! Without actually knowing the area, you could be easily mistaken

Post edited by graememk on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

LoL they made no profit that day from you, your parking fee covers the electricity.

Advertisement