Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat query.

Options
  • 05-06-2022 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Recently got rid of SkyQ and looking into getting free sat for UK channels. I have a Samsung smart TV but there is only a aerial port no satellite port. I live in North Dundalk so only a few miles from border.

I have a few questions.

Can I get free sat on Samsung TV?

Is it somehow possible to use skyq satellite wires and somehow insert them into the aerial port?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,263 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some tvs have freesat tuners built in.

Or else you could just buy a freesat box. Get a recording one too and get the benefits of pausing and series links etc.

I ditched sky in 2010 and went freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

How do I know if my TV has freesat tuner built in? Whenever I auto scan for channels no channels appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You could search online for the manual for your TV and check it's specification..

Yes Freeview tuner built in but whenever I auto scan no channels tune in.

Freeview and Freesat completely different things.

Freesat uses cables coming from a satellite dish, and are ideal for those who once had sky in, because they should still have cables from the dish.

Freeview is the UK version of Saorview, and is received by your aerial

• Advertisement

You'll know if your TV has a satellite tuner built in by checking for connections at the back that will accept the cable from the dish.

They have f connector ends, Google them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It depends in where you are, I'm North Louth and Freeview is extremely poor and usually non existent. Free sat is the was to go. The TV has to have a HDMI connection or two.

Very few tvs actually come with freesat built in, so in all likelihood you won't have it.

It might have free view wording on it somewhere, but that's for the uk market, and as previous poster said, you need to be close to the UK to receive that signal.

Yes there is a port for a f connector however all I have is the dish cable is it just a case of getting a f connector sticking in the cable dish plugging in and I'm good to go?

Are UK channels HD on freesat?

This is the socket that is coming from your dish, does your TV accept this type of input?

• Advertisement

Good then. Yes, it should work then.

There are plenty of channels in HD, but not all of them.

Doesn't have a Freesat tuner then.

If you want to get freesat channels from the UK, you'll have to buy a freesat branded receiver.

I would advise you NOT to buy just a basic satellite receiver, cheap generic brand as these don't have good epg or auto tune if channels change. Best to spend a bit extra and get a freesat one. You should be able to pick up a 2nd hand one fairly cheaply

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

No, these are only available free-to-air on terrestrial, so you'd plug your aerial into the socket on your TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,520 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

First off, do any of your neighbours receive the UK channels via a TV aerial pointing at a transmitter in NI?

Second, the LNB on the dish arm is likely a SkyQ specific wideband LNB (2 outputs?), if so it won't work with a Freesat TV, 1st generation Freesat receiver or any other free-to-air satellite receiver.

It will work with the new generation of Freesat receiver, allowing you to record 4 channels simultaneously. A replacement quad LNB would be required to work with a Freesat or FTA TV or satellite receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I thought that anyone living that close to the border, would have Freeview blasting in at them? What's stopping the signal crossing the border ? Is there a load of hills or mountains in the way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭roadmaster

With Tvs now able to get Saorview and Freesat enabled EPGs on them along with standard apps such as disney built in and then on top you have the rte players etc. What is the main advantage of a settop box these days?

If you have a Freesat enabled epg/tuner built in to your TV, then I would guess you wouldn't really need a set top box.

But remember a satellite receiver built in might not always have the freesat epg. Freesat is its own epg. It auto tunes new channels and will have a user friendly interface.

Plus a set top box can also provide you with a recording ability with a built in hard drive. Of course some tvs can now record on to a USB memory stick, so that kinda negates the need for a box as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

A set top box can record 3 things at once and the software is more up to date. TV makers can be slow to update their software, if they bother at all. Box recordings can be kept for use elsewhere. TVs often tie the recordings to that specific set.

Post edited by Gerry Wicklow on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭andy1249

Freesat EPG is UK only , so you have to set the TVs region to a UK postcode , which of course then messes up your saorview tuning.

Switching between Saorview and Freesat is a labourious and flaky process , usually involving lost EPG data , or even a complete set up from scratch.

I know of no TV that can switch seamlessly between the two or combine the EPG data for the two.

Recording to USB on these TVs is also a pain , half the time it doesn't work at all.

Ive got an LG CX , it does all of the above .... badly , so I run an enigma 2 combo box for a painless combination of saorview and FTA with recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Yes get a freesat box as channels frequency change and you will have to re tune. If it is only free to air tuner it will only have listing for now and next and no series link.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭rom

You can set hot button on your LG TV like long press 1 is RTE 1 and long press 2 is BBC 1 to change over the tuners. Sadly there are no TV who have a combined EPG that I can find.

That's why it's best to set your TV to a UK location with a UK postcode pending the region of Freesat you want and manually Tune the Irish DT channels as there is much less of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭dam099

I've seen it reported here that Walker TV's can have a combined EPG, not a brand I'd be considering though.

Depending on your needs the LG quick access (hot) buttons is a good workaround if recording etc not required and just want to be able to casually watch channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭andy1249

LG Hot buttons are already in use for starting Disney + , Netflix , etc.

For linear TV , I have a Zgemma combo box set up with my favourites , a much better and way more stable solution than flipping between tuners on the LG.

In the remote there are 10 numbers. You hardly are using all 10

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's a pain in the $€#@ assigning long keys to so many operations. Not worth the bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I know this might seam lazy but me and teck dont have a great history. Do any of the irish suppliers of the Zgemma box pre load the skins so all you have to is plug in the sat and aerial cables?

Advertisement