Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Landlord connecting new apartments to my electric account, and expect me to share 200 euro rebate

• 10-06-2022 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

My landlord has built 2 apartments next to my house.... Without any consultation or agreement with me has hooked up the new apartments to my electricity supply. I have had a private meter fitted to monitor the electric usage of those two apartments. The Govt has given us all 200 euro for each electricity account. My landlord says that I should share the 200 euro with the two apartments connected to my electric supply. I feel that this causes me to lose out as I never agreed to share my electric account in the first place, and the LL treated my electric supply as it was his, and I never gave him permission to hook into my electric supply in the first place, thus I feel that I do not need to share the 200 euro rebate. I feel that as ~I am the electric account holder. Had the LL had an independent connected to the new apartment they would have gotten their own 200 euro and I would not have to give up 2/3rds of my 200euro

I am interested to hear your opinions please discuss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Ginger83

How do the new apartments pay for their power?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

ring the ESB, they will be very interested to know about that. Of course, you should start looking for a new place straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mravaya

I have a private meter logging the new apartments usage and the LL pays me for their usage

The connection does not interfere with the ESB sealed meter area.... Difficult for me to move I am a disabled pensioner having been in this property 14yrs

well, it does interefere, if the flats are separate premises, then they should have their own meters.

ESB are out their connection fees and without them approving the connections, they could be dangerous.

Look, its illegal and dangerous, but you can be sure if you report it, the landlord will try to get you out.

Maybe speak to the RTB, let them know you are unhappy with this arrangement. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

• Advertisement

I just need to point out the wiring for the hookup was done by a fully qualified electrician so no worries about the work standard.

I am just concerned as to having to share the 200euro rebate should I or should I not??? As the hook up was already done before I found out I felt I had no choice but to accept having my electric hooked up to LL apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GalwayMan74

I'd be more concerned about them paying (or not paying) the standing charge .

Get them to split the standing charge and you'll be better off yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you are otherwise happy in the apartment and have a good deal on the rent you may be better off to take the once off hit on the rebate.

It's really up to you to balance your options.

If you think complaining would lead to a notice to quit then you might say nothing on the other hand maybe you could negotiate with the LL without falling out and maybe get a bit more of the rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭eusap

Do you share the Standing Charge and split full bill 3 ways? If yes you should split the €200

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭ThreeGreens

Landlord is 100% wrong on this in my opinion.

However in the current market, it's simply not worth starting a fight with your landlord over 2/3 of €200 (€133).

Take a look around at what's available to rent in your area. You might be surprised at how little there is and how much it costs. The part that you won't see is the vast number of people chasing those few units. Even being allowed to view a place can be a struggle at present.

It's a horrible time to be trying to find a place to live.

Right or wrong, in that environment, with everything else ok, it's not worth starting an argument with your landlord for €133.

• Advertisement

Yes I was thinking along the same lines as you have posted too, very sensible advice... thanks for you imput

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Electric credit .Vat has dropped on electric so €176.21 plus vat at 9% =€192.07

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭surrender monkey

It's not only the usage and the standing charge there is also vat that needs to be factored in. Have your bills gone up much ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you paying only 1/3rd of the standing charge and is the unit rate exactly right as per your contract? Are you free to change supplier?

Unless your landlord is a registered electricity provider, he can't re-sell electricity for a profit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Did the landlord get planning permission to build the two apartments? If the planning is in order then it sounds strange that utilities are set up like that, they would need their own individual connections to comply with all sorts of regulations.

If there's no planning, that's another level of dodgy.

There is zero chance a qualified electrician signed off on this. they would lose their certification immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Yep... This sounds a bit bogus full stop

Advertisement