Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BE licence - can I use my own trailer

• 07-06-2022 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Have my BE licence test next week.

Any idea if I can use my own jeep and horsebox to do it in?

The RSA guidelines indicate I need a load of 800kg. How would they ever know the load the day of the test?

My plan was to use concrete blocks. I would hire a vehicle but it is 180 euro for the test - but pricey when I already have jeep and trailer.

The trailer must be presented with a real total mass (the actual weight of the trailer including the necessary load) of at least 800 kg., having due regard for safety, stability, manufacturer’s guidelines

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

I believe you can use your own trailer, but you will have to fill it with the specified number of blocks to achieve the weight required. Unless you also have a pile of suitable blocks to hand it might be easier to go with a driving school rental for the test.

I had to do that as i did the test to ensure i was legal towing my caravan, and i wasn't allowed to use the caravan for the test.

I had arranged two pre test lessons with a driving school and we used his trailer for both of them. The second was just before the test so he didnt charge me any extra to use the trailer for the test straight away.

Best of luck with the test anyway. it's an expensive enough business by the time it's all done, so hopefully you get through it first go.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭sandman30

Yes you can use your own jeep and trailer, but you need to make sure everything is in perfect working order. If they can find an excuse not to do the test, they'll take it.

Specified number of concrete blocks, securely held; "L" plates on jeep AND trailer; same number plate on trailer as jeep; all lights working perfectly, none a bit dim and no shorting; clean interior of cab; all tax, NCT, insurance in date; know the height of trailer, rated capacity of trailer and of jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭irishguy19772

Many thanks for advice above. Trailer and jeep are in good order, so will follow instructions above.

Any idea of how i stack the blocks or if they need to be spaced out in trailer in any way. I only imagine they would be looking for a reason to not do test.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Make sure the horsebox has a approved breakaway cable and don't forget to attach it to the towing vehicle.

Here is a helpful video from the RSA although it's from 2015. I presume the standards are still the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ZjT5Hrg8c

Thanks very much. Just had a watch of those videos there and good pointers. Had a test drive there around the town and took it handy. Going to try to avoid touching the wheel off any kerb and to take it handy in third gear around the busy town. Then hope for the best that I can carry it through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭cjpm

It’s actually scandalous that they do use any excuse whatsoever not to do the test. All while the waiting lists are ridiculous.

A neighbour took a day off work as his daughter was doing the test in his car. Checked lights etc and everything was ok and headed off to test centre.

Out comes bollix to conduct the test. Finds 1 single brake light not working. Sends her home. And bollix heads back in for an hour of scratching his balls and surfing the net. A tax payer funded hour too.

My neighbour was raging. I suppose that’s why he was continually referring to him as Bollix while telling me about it 😂

Why not just give the person a negative mark instead and conduct the test regardless??

The unions wouldn’t stand for that. They like their few extra hours off in the week…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

I have little sympathy for him. No brake light working is careless. I would be very surprised if it blew on the way to the test too. I'd say he missed it or didn't have anyone with him while checking and chanced it. If that car goes out for the test and is in rear ended and the other driver claims a brake light was faulty the tester is in serious bother.

I know the man well. If he said he checked the lights, I’m 100% sure he would have done it right.

There are at least 3 brake lights on every vehicle. By your logic if only 2 are working you should pull over and call the AA immediately?

Likewise if I see someone with only 2 working, if I need a few bob I should rear end them as I’d have a handy claim with no responsibility on my side?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭granturismo

Did you get a pretest lesson with a driving instructor? Its handy for getting rid of habits like coasting and not obsessively checking mirrors like you need to in order to pass the test. I did my trailer test in 2013 and had to reverse around a corner, dont know if you still have to do that.

You need to spread the blocks evenly around the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Very unlucky for it to blow between his house and the test centre so.

Where did I say there was a claim to be got? I wouldn't recommend the rear ending for a few bob. You will in 99% of cases be found in the wrong. An allegation of a brake light out during a driving test contributing to an accident would lead to a large problem for a driving tester. Why would s/he risk breaking procedures for your friend, a complete stranger, and by extension their own career or career progression? I wouldn't, would you for a stranger?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭T5180

Short version of my experience with tester in Kildare area that refused to allow me take the trailer test .

In the office he asked what year the towing vehicle was and then the height of the trailer , then informed me that " if the towing vehicle is newer than 2001 the trailer must be as tall as is wide" . I asked would it be acceptable if i returned with an older towing vehicle and he said in theory yes but he wasn`t going to wait for that . After much protesting and pleading he finally agreed to inspect the vehicle and trailer outside and then promptly turned on his heel and said that it did not comply and to re-apply for the test . One of the rudest people I ever had the misfortune to meet.

He didnt say anything about weights , maybe the rules have changed since or maybe he was waiting for me to return before using that as a reason to stay in his warm office ...

Thanks. I have the 30 4" blocks borrowed from a friend. My plan was was to put in a single pallet in the middle of a trailer on a pallet and secured with straps.

When it specifies evenly distributed it is hard to know how many pallets to place throughout. Is it 2 front and rear or 4 in each corner. Do you think it would be an issue with the single pallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

If the 30 blocks are spread out evenly on the flat on the floor so that they won't move was what way it was done with the instructors trailer. If on a pallet the might need to the a net and the strapped to stop movement.

If it's a box trailer and it will take a few extra blocks to stop them moving, I can see it being an issue. Key has to meet the minimum weight while being secure.

Also the trailer has to be an enclosed trailer

It is an ifor Williams 505. Thanks for advice anyway. Was worried if they were flat on the floor they would reject it as unsecure.

Suppose it depends on how awkward the tester is

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dp639

Only last year my wife did this test, we spread the 30 blocks evenly on the floor and wedged a bit of timber in any gaps between the blocks and the side of the trailer to stop any movement - this was deemed to be fine. Not wanting to state the obvious but just make sure all lights are working on both Jeep and trailer and everything else is in good working order.

Thank you very much for the advice above. Will do .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

I did my BE test recently. I had the blocks loaded in the box with no tie downs or holders, no issue with my tester. Things to look out for, when pulling off I was not checking the blind spots with a shoulder check every time. For the reverse around the corner, not many fields I drive into have a corner :D Practise this as it is something you expect to be easy but probably rarely do. Needed to pull forward after going around the bend and reverse again to get it in neater, this was on the advice of the tester.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You turned up with a combination that wasn't suitable for the test and it's the testers fault! The criteria for the vehicle and trailer are all available, if you can't meet that criteria why should they test your driving.

For my D test I'd done a pre test just before with my instructor and we'd checked all the lights where working before that. At the test centre we checked again and one of the indicators was blown, the bus had spare bulbs but no screwdriver so a bit of work to change the bulb. Bulbs can and do blow at anytime but the test has to be done in a road legal vehicle and 3 brake lights are required for most vehicles to be road legal. The tester doesn't know if it blew 2 seconds ago or 20 years ago, they can only go on what's presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

On my first test he checked all the lights before setting off. Half way through the test the indicator light blew. He cancelled the test there and then. Told me to reapply free of charge as the lights had been checked before setting off.

If it had blown 30 or so mins earlier, you’d have had to stump up the fee.

I think it’s absurd. By all means penalise the applicant heavily per bulb. But cancelling tests while there are huge waiting lists……????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

That's their mentality, they're insulated economically from the real world so they don't give a f..k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Some amount of fuc#ers driving around with one tail light/brake light/ indicator gone and I'll bet 99% of them will swear blind that it was working perfectly fine that morning 🙄🙄

Could I ask you about the reverse around the corner? When I did my lesson my instructor advised that hazards were left on throughout. Just double checking that you use these instead of indicators like you do for a car test. I can phone him tomorrow to ask anyway if you don't know. Sorry just overthinking things here - test tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

In my test, I did not use the hazards. Good luck with the test!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Bring a hat as the windows will have to be open due to covid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Well, How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭Bellview

yes - but i used the lad i took a lesson with trailer as i knew everything was 100% correct and saved me looking for blocks etc for weight

Passed it. Thanks everyone for your help. If anyone needs advice in future I am happy to advise whatever I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

Brilliant, have to do it myself sometime so will hold you to that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Had an hour to spare so I have the theory test booked for next week. Went looking for the list of questions on Thursday and I cant find them, the only option appears to be down load the app and pay for them, or buy a book in easons. Is this correct?

I asked the same question over in the motors forum but they seem too Interested why their cars are cutting out when they drive slowly.

Advertisement