Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on garden retaining wall

Options
  • 09-06-2022 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭

I want to build a 60 feet long retaining wall in the garden and behind this is a bank of clay 3 feet high rising to 8 feet.

Any advice please? I was thinking of using 12 inch foot blocks on their flat with pillars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Get an engineer to spec it.

The design you're suggesting is for a freestanding wall, not a retaining wall.

Not sure what you mean by 3 feet rising to 8. Is that sloping perpendicular to or parallel to the wall? If perpendicular, that rise represents a surcharge, and even if the bank is stable now, you will have hydrostatic pressure once there's a wall built which will need to be accounted for and relieved by drainage.

There's not enough detail in your post and in any case specific structural advise is against the forum charter.

edit: for what it's worth, I have walls like this in my garden (that came with the house) and whilst they haven't failed completely they are cracked, and in places I wouldn't have expected. Do it right, do it once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Thanks the 3 feet to 8 rise runs parallel to the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Ah, OK. Well a rule of thumb is anything under 3ft/1m is a gravity wall, i.e. will hold up against the pressure with its own weight, and anything taller than that needs "engineering".

8ft is big.

Advertisement