Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do for refund cube agree c62?

Options
  • 07-06-2022 2:56pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭


    Right, i have a €1500 deposit through cycle to work on a cube agree c62 mechanical ultegra. Shop has been paid through the job by the ctw scheme but bike has been delayed. Got a pain in my hole waiting and bought a 2nd hand canyon that fits like a glove and i dont want to get off it when im on it. Its simply divine to cycle.

    So i dont need a bike. I can get the cube and sell it on brand new taking a small hit in the price. Or i can get store credit to keep for another day. Or i can sell the store credit of 1500 again for slightly cheaper to get rid of it.

    What is the best thing to do? Would you sell a brand new cube agree with no miles handy enough with a small bit off the price at the end of august?



Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer


    Get a class set of wheels



  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31


    Just sold a class set. Im happy enough with my mavic askiums.



  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats


    It might be a bit of a risk thinking that you won’t lose much on resale of new bike. What kind of discount would you be ok to accept.



  • Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161


    I would question whether the shop could supply you with anything other than the bike under the terms of the btw scheme.



  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31


    Bike is 2750. Id take 2250 so a 500 discount off. Not 1klm will be put on it and it will be have the box and everything. Set up of course though ready to cycle. Does that sound like a good deal for potential buyers?



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats


    If I was buying a new bike on btw, what’s the maximum I could save? I think that’s what you’re competing with.

    on the plus side you (will) have bike available to go, no waiting time. A lot to be said for that in current times.-

    on the minus side, it’s a bit ‘messy’ with warranty at shop etc, buyer can’t specify colour, size, groupset etc which they could buying direct from shop themselves.



  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie


    Youd need someone with that sort of cash to hand though too, which they may have, and they'd possibly be better off going through btw themselves too.


    If you don't want it, I'd be asking for money back or order cancelled first off



  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan


    it is a (far) bigger gamble to hold out for the bike in the hope that you can flip it quickly. I'd expect that it wont be too easy either to sell the voucher...?take the credit if you can - few enough places are prepared to break the rules of the scheme to do this though.......



  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder


    asking for money back is complex i'd say; because the employer will be getting their portion back, the salary sacrifice has already happened and it'd be messy in terms of reverting that cash back to the company probably (and could depend on how helpful/capable the payroll people in question are).

    on that - just a mod note, not serious enough to be put in bold; we usually shut down threads which are a clear attempt to violate the terms of the BTW scheme, but in this instance there certainly was no attempt at fraud, it was an honest attempt to buy a bike; and i suspect the scheme is vague enough that it does not encompass byrnem31's position. thankfully the suggestions so far are sensible, but the situation byrnem31 is in is messy enough, covering retail issues, tax issues etc. that i suspect it could have learned people arguing on what the law would say on how to proceed.



  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31


    I might see what its like and even keep it. Keep the canyon for a winter bike and for the turbo. However, the 2015 canyon endurance cf f10 is better than the defy advanced 2 2020 i had so i cant see the cube being much different. The state of the bikes that are being rushed out of the factory too aren't great either, poor finishing, painting etc.

    I just cant believe how good the canyon is for a 7 year old bike bought for €950 2nd hand. The wheels are cheap mavic askiums at €200. Its better than the defy that cost €2250 and had a €1000 set of hunt carbons on it.



  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer


    Sounds to me like you have everything you want. Why not keep your money and keep saving for when you actually want something else?



  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle


    I wouldn't accept the store credit unless it is a shop you frequent often or they have something else you want. Realistically, you are going to lose at least €750 in the resale unless you get very lucky and quite possibly more. Legally (and again, only barely as the middle men in and of themselves are not legal, just accepted), probably should be refunded by the bike shop to them and then abck to work, although I imagine that will be a pain in the hole. Morally you could take store credit or ask for a refund but you are going to lose 10% as the bike shop will have lost at leat that to the middle men, possibly 12.5% dependent on the company. You will still be up money as you haven't paid tax on it. Upto you then how you deal with that but in the grand scheme of things, it was unintentional and not much else you can do.

    On a personal note, Askiums are grand but (and it varies with each pair), they won't last, are hard to repair and are effectively designed as diposable wheels. Sometimes they last 5 years, othertimes they last 6 months but once they go, they will cost more to keep going than a new set of them. The enviromentalist in me dispises me, the cheapskate day to day side of me thinks they are great. Investing in a replacement pair when the cash is there or leaving it in the shop (provided they don't fold) might be wise.



  • Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161


    I might have mentioned this in another of the threads on this issue, but it was strange that the money was handed over so long before the bike anyway? I know it was before times, but bar a deposit I haven't paid money (and the company hasn't paid the money) until the bike was in stock. I didn't get the bike(s) then for a couple of weeks while it went through.

    The other thing in your favour, bar the paperwork/ messing, the bike shop unlikely to have issues shifting the bike either which might make them more inclined to go through the refund process. With inflation, they'll probably cover a lot of the time lost on paperwork.



  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31


    Good point about the wheels. I might just get store credit and keep for when the mavics crap themselves. My son has taken a stretch too and could do with a new bike. He can pass his bike on to his younger brother then everyone is sorted.



  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31


    The reason why i paid the deposit was i wanted the payments to start immediately rather then get hit with higher payments if i got it towards the end of the year. I done this due to a 6 month wait for delivery of the bike which now looks like a 8/9 month wait. The repayments would be big if i had to pay it off in 3 months.



  • Registered Users Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭cletus


    Completely understand re the payments. I've done the same thing myself, as there's an 11 month payment window, and all monies have to be paid back by close.


    I'm currently waiting on a Giant Revolt. Ordered in January, (hopefully) delivered week 26. It's worth it so that I'm not making larger monthly payments



  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭nicksnikita


    “What to do for refund cube agree c62?”

    Beg



  • Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭ted1


    I wouldn’t accept store credit. No guarantee that the shop will stay open after the weekend.

    I nearly lost out when Fitz Cycles closed.



  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats


    Take the store credit of 1500 and sell on for c. 1000-1250 seems to be cheapest ‘out’ if that’s what you’re looking for. I think that you shouldn’t have too much trouble selling 1500 credit for 1000, so long as shop is well known/reasonable to deal with, and you might even get more than 1k which would limit your total loss.

    If taking this direction it would be important to clear it with the shop upfront I think. If they were not happy about it they could say credit not transferable etc. Good to be upfront on the situation with them anyway I think.

    Not sure where this would put you in terms of tax position etc as mentioned above but something to consider also.



Advertisement