Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a 3rd Plylontech battery help

Options
  • 07-06-2022 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭

My existing setup was a Solis Hybrid inverter with 2 x 2.4kwh Pylontech batteries and I recently got a 3rd pylontech 2.4kwh to add to the other 2 but when I connect the new battery in with the other 2 it does not seem to work as the Alarm light stays on the new battery and it does not charge.

Pretty sure I have connected them correctly with the new battery on top and having the red positive wire back to the inverter connected to it and the bottom existing battery having the negative black wire back to the inverter with then all the batteries wired up together as they should but still no good.

Com ports also wired correctly to chain them together and then the new battery has the CAN port connected.

This is exactly what they look like when all 3 wired in, this image is taken from google but is what I used to get it correct.

I can wire the new battery in directly and it works properly and also just have the 2 existing batteries together and all good but when I add the 3rd none work!

Anyone added a third battery that can help, maybe there is something with the dip switches or the way they need to be wired that is different when adding 3?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

You do not need to change dip switches. Is the new battery exactly same model? There are us2000 and us2000c batteries. There were know issues when they are mixed. How are you powering the pack on? Can you send the photos the way they are connected at the moment.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Did you power them on before connecting them back to the inverter to allow them to balance and all that? I think you need to press the soft start button on the master (top) battery once they are all turned on to start this process. Then you leave them for a while to balance and connect them to the inverter when done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

I looks like the 2 existing batteries are us2000c and the new one just says us2000 but I thought they were all the same when I was getting the new one!

Any pointers on how I can solve would be appreciated...

Make one us2000c battery a master of your pack and not the new one. This should make them work. The new that you got is older model and does not know how to properly communicate with other 2 batteries.

As @Mickeroo noted you need to balance all of them first.

No I did not let them balance but what I had done was made sure they were all at around the same level of charge 30% as reported when I connect just the new one to the inverter and then just the existing 2 so they are all pretty much the same charge

• Advertisement

Thanks I will try that, just means I have to start pulling out the existing us2000c to reposition it in the rack so is a bit of a hassle.

So to make the us2000c a master it just means that is the one that is connected to the CAN point and positive red wire back to the inverter?

You do not need to pull it out just move cables. I assume at the moment the new battery sits at the top and is master. Change the cables so that the bottom one becomes master.

Correct the us2000c need to be connected to inverter and the rest daisy chained to it.

Do the Red and Black power cables need to move as well or just the Ethernet cables and then connect to the CAN port to the bottom us2000c will do to make it a master?

Poritive and negative can stay the way they are as long as one is goign to the top and the other one goes to the bottom battery.

Move CAN cable to bottom master and also move the link cables between the batteries. Master should have link1 going to link0 on second battery, then second battery link1 should be going to link0 on the third battery.

Power on all batteries, press and hold red button on the master and wait till all SOC leds light up on all batteries one by one in sequence, once the led are off release the red button on master. The pack should be up.

Perfect thanks a lot for the advice and I will try it out hopefully this evening

• Advertisement

Just to circle back, thanks a lot for your help as I now have it setup like you suggested and all seems to be working correctly so thanks again!

I had another question that I might post in another thread but can you mix pylontech batteries with dyness batteries?

No, you cannnot mix Dyness and pylontech, the nominal voltage of these batteries is not the same(at least for DYNESS BX51100). You can add another battery as long as its nominal voltage is 48V but if it is not pylontech than it wil nto communicate with inverter or pylontech but they still should work. Or if you want monitoring and communication then yuo'll need a device that captures the data from battries and then send it to inverter over CAN.

Advertisement