Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Written or verbal references?

Options
  • 03-06-2022 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have applied for a couple of jobs and just wondering what do they normally look for?

I have plenty of reference letters but just worried about verbal references and ringing up a previous employer and asking for a reference. I have worked for very large companies that they probably won't remember me if I ring them up looking for a verbal reference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭I am me123

I think usually ( depending on whether the job is Public or private sector), written references are sought first, then they are followed up by a phone call in order to check written reference provided is genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,717 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You aren't going to be the one ringing anyone up.

For a verbal reference, you give the potential employer the name+phone number of a person (previous manager, HR officer etc). They make the call.

If you have manners, then you will have contacted the person whose name/number you gave beforehand, and got their agreement to being a referee.

Advertisement