Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste Pipe Not Vented

Options
  • 04-06-2022 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Hi guys, we moved into a renovated house two months ago and just realised that the waste pipe is open in the attic. How dangerous is this and is this something I should sue the builder for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

Call a plumber and ask him to assess and rectify it if necessary. Forget about suing people and get on with your life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Compo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Waste pipe open sue the builder. Combo culture alive and well. Call builder, he will probably fix it . If not google it and do it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 25 pickle pants

An unvented soil pipe can be very dangerous. Gases released include hydrogen sulfide, exposure to which can be fatal. Installing an unvented soil pipe and allowing these gases to build up inside the home is incredibly negligent and must be rectified by a professional as soon as possible. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭BalboBiggins

Lads I think you've misunderstood me. The pipe leads to the attic and was just left there, spewing toxic air back into the house. From my understanding any waste pipe should lead out of the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

I think we understand the problem. Yes it's potentially dangerous and should be rectified asap. Just not sure why you want to sue somebody or how you think that will solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,835 ✭✭✭✭muffler

No misunderstanding at all. You asked in your first post in this thread if an un-vented waste pipe in the attic was "something you should sue the builder for"

Would you not be better looking at getting the problem sorted rather than looking for compo?

This is the cherry on top of a long line of issues with this builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Check if there's an AAV fitted before you call your solicitor.

There is a bad sewage smell in the attic and also when the toilet is flushed so I doubt this is the case, but thanks anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭SC024

1. Be a little less miitant re: suing people. as an added bonus this will make you a nicer person all round :) On viweing your 2nd post you seem a little like your itching for a reason to sue this builder.
    2. Check & ensure it is actually a soil vent as opposed to an extractor venting into attic (which will still have to rectified)
    3. Call builder & ask him to continue vent up & out through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Kincora2017

Check if there’s an AAV valve installed. I believe its acceptable to vent this way under the building regs under certain conditions (but get this confirmed.)

if not put it on the snag list. As annoyed as you appear to be, it’s “just” a snag item for any build. It’s not something to sue a builder over and it’d be laughed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Definitely a high court case.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,071 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You said you moved in, are you the owner?

When was the house built?

Who supervised the build?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You said you moved into a renovated house.

1. Did you own the house while it was renovated?
    2. Did you buy it from the previous owner who had it renovated?

I don’t think you have any recourse if it’s No. 2. Anything could have happened between the time it was handed over to the previous owner and you buying it.

In anycase, it’s a relatively simple fix. Extent the pipe to the roof and vent using a cowel or indeed a roof vent tile.

I owned the house before it was renovated. I have an engineer signing off for certification of compliance with planning and building regulations. He hasn't given me the cert yet as the builder hasn't given him some of the info he needs. The build has been a disaster aside from this pipe issue. Crooked internal walls built, terrible carpentry and plastering, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭jackboy

If you have paid all the money before getting this stuff sorted then you won’t be getting money back. If you are annoying enough he may come back to fix a couple of minor issues, such as your pipe vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

What sort of a cowboy builder would do such a thing? Disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

if this is an issue they shouldnt be signing off until this is fixed

Advertisement