Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid vaccines - thread banned users in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

Looks like you're going around in circles, would you not just leave it and accept your own view on the vaccines and not try to make yourself look desperate for an agreement.

It's not an easy subject to debate or discuss. It's easier thinking about what do cow's think about while chewing on grass on a warm summer's evening. Bonkers I know but I think about mad stuff regularly.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭hometruths

I haven't backed myself into any corner.

My position is that the vaccines were approved to prevent symptomatic cases of Covid 19. Whilst there may have been a hope that in the course of fulfilling the role to which they were approved for - the prevention of Covid 19 - they would reduce the severity of outcomes in breakthrough infections, they were not granted approval to do this.

I know this for certain, not just because of the wording of the approvals and the definition of vaccination failure, but because at the time of the initial approvals there was not sufficient data available to make any findings with confidence about the effectiveness of reducing the severity of outcomes.

Anybody who says that approvals were granted to reduce the severity of outcomes is talking absolute horsesh*t and simply reinforces my belief in my initial point:

This is my problem with the vaccines. When the vaccines were first rolled out the clear expectation was that the primary function was to prevent catching Covid.

When it became abundantly clear that this was not working as intended, but they were having good effect in preventing serious illness and death, very few vaccine proponents acknowledged this. It was spun as if the primary function all along was to reduce serious illness and death, and anybody who thought they were taking the vaccine to prevent them getting Covid just didn't understand how vaccines worked.

This is total and utter nonsense, and as far as I am concerned it undermines all subsequent claims about the vaccine efficacy and safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Yes, so you keep saying.

But what you won't say is why you believe they would claim something so obviously false.

You won't say it because you won't admit that you believe they're part of a big global conspiracy you believe is happening.

The fact that you 1. believe this and 2. can't be honest about it undermines all of your claims.

Anybody who says that the primary function of the vaccines is to reduce the severity in breakthrough cases is making a blatantly false claim.

The fact that I don't know exactly why such false claims are made, does not change the fact that the claims are false.

I have no idea why you would make that claim, nor why astrofool would, nor why any government or health service would. I would presume they are all for different reasons, but I am not claiming to know why.

But you believe that experts are claiming blatantly false things.

Ok. That's what you believe and you aren't open to being convinced otherwise.

There's only two options.

Either they are all stupider than you, or they are involved in a conspiracy.

Which is it?

Which do you think is the most likely? Are they both equally likely?

• Advertisement

There's only two options.

Either they are all stupider than you, or they are involved in a conspiracy.

Which is it?

Which do you think is the most likely? Are they both equally likely?

Fine I will answer your question.

I'm in agreement with the experts who wrote the paper in the BMJ - it is a political policy decision.

The publicly communicated rationale for implementing such policies has shifted over time. Early messaging around COVID-19 vaccination as a public health response measure focused on protecting the most vulnerable. This quickly shifted to vaccination thresholds to reach herd immunity and ‘end the pandemic’ and ‘get back to normal’ once sufficient vaccine supply was available.1 2 In late summer of 2021, this pivoted again to a universal vaccination recommendation to reduce hospital/intensive care unit (ICU) burden in Europe and North America, to address the ‘pandemic of the unvaccinated’.

Of the two options you have asked which is most likely I believe the most likely is they are involved in a conspiracy.

Great.

Then as I said, because you believe there's a big giant conspiracy, and weren't able to be honest about it, it undermines all of your claims.

SO since the scientists who were producing the data are involved in this conspiracy, why did they suggest an explanation so obvious that it gives the conspiracy away? Why did they publish the data in the first place?

Hang on a second. I didn't say I believe there's a big giant conspiracy - you said there were only two options and asked me to pick which I thought was most likely, which I duly did.

SO since the scientists who were producing the data are involved in this conspiracy, why did they suggest an explanation so obvious that it gives the conspiracy away? Why did they publish the data in the first place?

And have you stepped into a discussion about the false claim that the primary function of the vaccines being to reduce severity of outcomes (the post you quoted and referenced false claims) and now pivoted to the explanation of the case rate data?

Have you any idea what you're talking about?

Ok. So there isn't a big giant conspiracy then and you believe the other option is the true one?

You believe that the less likely option is true?

And since you're now objecting to the idea of believing this big giant conspiracy, then we can both conclude that explanation is false and implausible?

And it's pretty rich for you to whinge about bring up the case rate data given that's something you brought up and have been harping on about, something you flip back and forth on when it suits, and when it and your misrepresentation of the approval process HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ACTUAL TOPIC.

To be clear, which false claim are you talking about?

the idea that the primary function of the vaccine is to reduce ICUs/death or the explanation of the case rate data?

It's an important distinction because the first is demonstrably false whereas as the second is just a question of credibility.

• Advertisement

It doesn't really matter man. I'm referring specifically to to the case rate data, but the point applies to both equally.

You're just wasting time and displaying the usual, supreme amount of hypocrisy that all conspiracy theorists seem to share.

How many times have you been asked to clarify something for you to ignore the question?

Now, stop dancing around the point and answer my questions directly.

So there isn't a big giant conspiracy then and you believe the other option is the true one?

You believe that the less likely option is true?

And since you're now objecting to the idea of believing this big giant conspiracy, then we can both conclude that explanation is false and implausible?

It doesn't really matter man. I'm referring specifically to to the case rate data, but the point applies to both equally.

It really does matter man. You asked me a very specific question about a very specific false claim, which I answered, and then you took that answer and pivoted to something else entirely.

Yesterday you were bleating on about my refusal to answer questions about an Israel news article I never posted. And as I pointed out, you have a style of posting that relies on simply accusing posters of ignoring your questions again and again and again. But you still haven't worked out that the reason posters ignore your questions, is that your questions are all over the place and you're unable to keep track of yourself.

This happens time and time again.

There are only two possible explanations for this:

a) you're involved in some big conspiracy to derail any negative discussion about vaccines

b) you're as thick as mince

I think it is unlikely you're involved in some big conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You've shown time and again that you are unable or unwilling to understand the scientific process yet are using this as a means to keep posting after your position has been completely dismantled. Yet you are calling another poster "thick as mince".

But King Mob is right, given that you have no position, you are in the redefining reality phase, so you either have to think that all the scientists involved are lying or you have to admit you are wrong.

Which is it?

Again, you have nowhere to go but those 2 options, you've reduced your options even further.

Lol.

Sure man.

That's why you're dodging the question.

I'm sure the dude literally copy pasting from Twitter is going to buy that.

You won't be honest about what you believe the explanations are because you do believe the is a conspiracy behind it all and you understand that this undermines your credibilty.

Which is it?

Again, you have nowhere to go but those 2 options, you've reduced your options even further.

@astrofool I am very happy to discuss these two options with you if you clarify what specific claim I am talking about?

The claim I said was false that prompted that question from King Mob, that I answered was:

The primary function all along of the vaccines was to reduce serious illness and death

Are you saying that you believe this claim to be true?

And if I believe it to be false the only two options are that a) I believe I am smarter than everybody who makes that claim or b) I believe the people who make that claim are part of that giant conspiracy.

If you can clarify the above I am very happy to answer/discuss/debate/ your questions in good faith. It's very specific.

But the idea that there only these two options as an explanation for every single claim made about vaccines irrespective of whether it is disputing a fact or an opinion is clearly ridiculous.

Lol misrepresenting my questions man.

Pretty dishonest.

And if you've any other possible options we'd love to hear them. But as you said you can't provide any.

You've reduced your options through your previous answers (which I'm sure you'll be happy to re-run because it leaves you in a state of cognitive dissonance), however, to progress any further you need to either state you are wrong or that the scientists are lying for some reason, you have been brought down and followed this path, you either need to reverse back out of it (admit you were mistaken about vaccine approval) or go further down the scientists are lying path to be able to continue.

(or spin around yourself looking more and more ridiculous as everybody knows which way you're heading at this point and it's a good thing we're on the conspiracy theories forum to talk about it).

admit you were mistaken about vaccine approval

Ok, if you're not prepared to be specific about the false claims in the post you quoted, are you prepared to be specific about this:

What was I mistaken about re vaccine approval?

You keep making vague statements about previous answers yet seem unwilling to specifically answer what you think I am wrong about? It doesn't make any sense.

We've been down that path in specific detail (as I said, I'm sure you would like to re-run the whole process again because you can't face the reality you're creating for yourself).

You either need to back down or explain why scientists would go through a fake approval process for every single vaccine that has existed.

If other vaccines were approved to prevent the disease and reduce the severity of outcomes it was because the data was available at time of approval to show effectiveness at reducing severity of outcomes.

At time of approval of covid vaccines the data concerning severity of outcomes was insufficient in order to be conclusive - fact. That’s the difference.

regulators are not in the habit of granting emergency use approval based on data they do not have or consider to be insufficient.

Hence, whilst it was probably expected and hoped that the vaccine would prove effective at reducing severity of symptoms in breakthrough cases, it was approved solely on the basis of its effectiveness at preventing symptomatic disease - I.e to prevent all symptoms.

This is clearly spelt out in the regulatory documents.

What I am claiming is an indisputable fact. That’s the reality I have created for myself.

And thus far nobody has been able to dispute it, despite the fact it should be very easy - just point to the original regulatory approval reports which cite the data.

I have already posted all the links and quoted them at length stating the data was insufficient.

• Advertisement

There was no difference, you need to find the approval of all other vaccines to show there was a difference.

And you're re-treading the emergency approval path which was already detailed (it wasn't emergency approval in Europe it was CMA and multiple medicines per year go through that approval, so it's not unusual and the data in the approval still stands up today, but as said, you've been down this path and been proven factually wrong at each point).

Which means you are back to either calling the scientists/approvers liars or backing down, again, which is it?

Which means you are back to either calling the scientists/approvers liars or backing down, again, which is it?

If the scientists/approvers or yourself or whoever else is currently saying the vaccines were approved to reduce the severity of symptomatic disease rather than to prevent symptomatic disease then yes I am calling them liars.

I am confident in doing this because the regulatory approval reports published at time of approval showed there was insufficient data to conclusively state the vaccines would be effective at preventing severity, no matter how much they might have hoped or expected that would be the case.

Do you disagree?

I disagree that the approvers were liars, the data on severity was extremely comprehensive and proven in massive trials that were then repeated with real world data. You admitted the vaccine effectiveness yourself already (unless you are calling yourself a liar?).

Bit now that we're finally here (amid another retread attempt), why do you think the scientists would lie?

You admitted the vaccine effectiveness yourself already (unless you are calling yourself a liar?).

I've admitted they are effective at reducing the severity of outcomes, I've never questioned that. My point is the fact that they are effective reducing severity of outcomes, does not make it right to rewrite history and claim they were approved to reduce severity of outcomes.

Bit now that we're finally here (amid another retread attempt), why do you think the scientists would lie?

I'm happy to answer your question, but there is a difference in asking me the broad general question you're asking now - why do I think the scientists would lie vs the one from earlier - if I think they are lying there are only two possible explanations as to why, which do I think is more likely: a) either I am smarter than them or b) they're involved in a conspiracy.

So what are you asking me - the general question or the specific one?

To be clear, either way I am not claiming that the approvers lied at time of approval, the point is back there was no claim that vaccines were approved to reduce severity. I am claiming that anybody who now, with the benefit of hindsights, says that the vaccines are working as intended, they were approved to reduce the severity of outcomes, is lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

really going round the houses on this one...

did the vaccine reduce symptomatic infection in the original strain, that it was designed for... yes it did... in fact it nearly eradicated it...

is it not as effective against strains it wasn't designed.... correct, it isn't...

is this a secret... no it's not...

the pandemic changed, so the message changed with it, which was the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

You’d swear that Hometruth doesn’t understand virus’s or that they can mutate at all. It’s a bit of a strange one seeing that by here has been a number of variants and it has. Even well covered in the media. Maybe the grifters they follow didn’t cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭snowcat

The NY times have a map of vaxx rates versus covid infections. For the US and the world. The highest rates of vaxx have a corresponding high rate of infection. Make that as you wish. For example Africa with 0 vaxx rates does not have a Covid problem. European countries like Hungary and Romania have not had huge Covid spikes with less than 40 % vaxx rates. It is slightly ironic that countries like Thailand only experienced Covid spikes once they started their vaxx campaigns. Nearly to the day

really going round the houses on this one...

it's tedious no doubt, but as long as the lie is being repeated I'll contradict it.

the pandemic changed, so the message changed with it, which was the right thing to do.

If the change of the message was to update based on new information, saying things turned out differently but here's what we know now, that's fine.

But the message has changed to say this is not new information, we knew all long that the vaccine is far more effective at reducing the severity of symptomatic infections than it is at preventing symptomatic cases, sure that's why it was granted approval.

That's horsesh*t, and the bit I have the problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shillyshilly

but it's not new information.... if you have a vaccine designed for a certain strain... you are pretty much guaranteed it's not always going to be as effective against other strains...

the vaccine was introduced based on testing with regards to the original strain....

the story changed when variants started appearing...

what's even worse is this has all been covered. You actually agreed to a lot of the points and produced a study which confirmed one of the vaccines efficacy against the original strain, and tried to misqoute parts of it in support of your argument...

you're just being silly or trying to master troll

• Advertisement

Sorry, what has this to do with my post? Are you claiming that the vaccines outright cause covid?

Is there a reason you're not posting a link to this information? Usually when you conspiracy theorists do that it's because the link explains why what your claiming is false.

Advertisement