Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Avoiding Baggage Check In Be Help With Delays

Options
  • 29-05-2022 7:37pm

Hello,

Myself and my husband are flying from Dublin airport on Friday morning with Ryanair. Our flight is at 7.20am. Recent reports have me feeling very anxious about missing our flight. This is my first trip abroad in years and we are so looking forward to it.

Can anyone give an indication of whether or not having no check in bag would make a difference with the queing? Or is this a sort of crystal ball question?

Thank you.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Hi. No. Not at all, sadly IF the volumes remain like they were today and there’s no procedural changes brought in by then to tackle the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Nope, the queues are to get into the airport full stop. Doesn't matter whether you've to check in/check bags or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I just came back from London. Flew out on Thursday morning at 8.15 am and flew back at 21.40.

The flight out literally had a 5 minute queue to scan your passport or boarding pass (I forget which one) and another 5 minutes to get through security. Now obviously things have changed in the meantime and it looks like there are queues even getting into the airport and not just at security. To answer your question even if you have an automatic bag drop you would still have to queue to get those bags in. The fact that you have queue to get into the airport will mean there is going to be a delay for doing that (depending on how many people are dropping bags and how many desks are open.

so if you can bring the bag onboard that will speed you up. Be careful with the T&cs of the carry on as I got stung going to Amsterdam a month ago with what I thought was a carry on and Ryanair boarding gate quite kindly relieved me of 70 euro to put it in the hold.

the only other tip is to ensure your liquids are in the clear bag and each one doesn’t exceed 100ml. Remove laptops and phones before you get to security and place in separate tray . See so many people arrive and then takes them another 5-7 minutes to do what should have been prepared. I always remove belt and have any coins in my bag so breeze through the X-ray.

the only other thing to see if it’s possible is to see if you can purchase fast track security and it eliminates the queue there.

hopefully the trip goes well and you enjoy yourself,

• Registered Users Posts: 81,282 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You might save 5-7 minutes, that's all, the bag drop is almost instant and without q.

The issue is due to the lack of trained staff they are not using all the security check channels and so are unable to process the number of passengers which the airport is designed to operate with. Some mornings less than 50% are manned.

One possible short cut to save time is to check on the app which terminal has less of a wait, then regardless of your actual departure terminal go through the one which is less, then when airside walk between terminals. This task may take 15-20 minutes to walk between terminals so is only worth doing if the Q is particularly bad on one terminal and very quick on the other. I'd only do this if there's a 40 minute difference in the wait between them.

Thanks all. I'll probably end up checking in a bag and crossing my fingers. There is no point in me worrying now of course.

I hope for all of us things improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Just to say my friend is leaving back to Australia tomorrow. We were supposed to go out for a drink tonight but he couldn’t as the advice he got from his travel agent is to arrive 5 hours before departure. Hope anyone travelling gets away on time but looks like budgeting much more leeway time.

I think there's new guidance coming from DAA about what time to be at the airport but whatever it says we are going to be there about 5 hours in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,403 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm not sure such a visa exists. Every tourist visa I've ever used has been for a given short period - 30, 60, 90 days, etc - rather than only valid for the exact duration of your booked stay.

It seems there are self service bag drops. I wonder if they are in operation or even make a difference 🤔

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yes they are in operation!

If everyone avoided checking in a bag and brought a bag through security it would probably be back to square one with security ques, large volumes of hand luggage being carried actually significantly slows down the screening process

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Won't do you any good now. They won't let you into the building until their recommended time.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0601/1302351-airport-committee/

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

They should be in operation alright, they usually are. I have used them anytime I have taken flights recently.

As Dial Hard said upthread, the problem is the queues start outside the terminal building. However, the DAA appear to be putting more measures in place for next weekend, staff are being drafted in from Cork Airport etc so hopefully it will be a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,044 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I’m always amazed when i see people starting to empty their bags as they get to the Bagagge search, is it too much to expect people to be prepared?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Nope. Generally there are 2 types. The first realise they are in an airport and will be prepared for security.

The second are generally stupid, self centred and don't care that they are holding up people behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

The problem can still occur with the periods you've suggested. For example someone tries to leave on day 29 of their 30 day visa, misses their flight and there is no flight option for the following day.

But the Irish authorities are very understanding with these instances. If you have genuine reasons and can prove them (flight bookings etc) there isn't a problem. Generally in Ireland if anyone has clearly done everything in their power to do the right thing, they're not penalised for being in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Agreed. You pull that stunt in Australia you would be absolutely fecked.

Advertisement