Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Transporting Spare wheels on a Roof Rack or Bike tow hitch carrier

• 03-06-2022 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I am looking for a secure/safe way of bringing spare wheels (Road) with me when traveling by car. The car is full and I have a bike carrier with 4 bikes.

I can't really see a safe way of adding the wheels to the bike carrier as there is a bit of movement of the bikes and am afraid of damage to the wheels.

I see Thule seem to do a front wheel holder for the roof rack, I wonder would this be wide enough to take a back wheel as well.

Any one have any ideas or solutions that work well ?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Would a roof box work?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 theotherone

It might alright had not thought about a Roof box. Had been hoping for some thing low resistance but a roof box could open up more space. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

If it’s kids or pets taking up the space in the car you could always put them in the roof box to free up some space for the wheels 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Wheels should be easy to fasten anywhere really due to its low weight, shape, rigidity and multitude of fixing points. Wrap some protective foam or rag around the contact areas, and fasten with a zip tie.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This, a bit of protective foam or bubble wrap if really worried and just tie them to the bikes on the rack.

• Advertisement
Advertisement