Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car tyres produce vastly more particle pollution than exhausts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Hover cars.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Fuk sake, less tax bicycles so, and strollers and prams etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭YellowRattle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Condoms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Waiting patiently for the lycra brigade to join the conversation.....

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think those would use minimal tyre wear vs a SUV on the same journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭creedp

Nobody cares as the Holy grail is to achieve carbon neutral status. So bring on the 2.5 ton EVs doing a tyre shredding 0-100kmh is 2.5 seconds so we can save the world from climate catastrophe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Sure particle pollution is just one form of pollution and it easy to capture particles from exhaust. Sure that's what a DPF does. Catches diesel soot particles and burns them off (though does this just create more air pollution?)

I get that the article is factual, but its not telling the whole story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I've got to say that I think this is false. I have a Kona EV here with it's original tyres from new and 85,000 km on it, with probably another 3k left on all 4.

The AA state:

Under normal driving conditions, you should get a minimum of 20,000 miles out of front tyres on a front-wheel-drive car.

For rear tyres, it can be double that - around 40,000 miles.

The tyres are well maintained, never run-low. It's the run-low condition as well as harsh-braking and acceleration which generates the most particle-loss from tyres. I'd put it out there that the current EV drivers are more considerate of these factors and hence are more likely to have long life spans from tyres.

So there's that.

EVs use regenerative breaking most of the time. That's why they are very light on brake pads etc. It's like engine braking in a normal car. I don't know how much weight offsets that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,801 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm a bit suspicious about the comment that modern car exhaust is so clean the emissions wouldn't even be regulated, given how repeated independent tests have shown that modern cars don't perform to their own emission standards

In any case, the math seems a bit weird. So they say a lightweight car driven gently will produce about 0.02mg/km of particulates.

So over 30,000km it'll release 600g of material. Given a tyre seems to weigh between 6-10kg and a lot of that isn't rubber, this seems fairly realistic.

Then take the aggressive case, over 5000mg/km. So over 30,000km you'll burn through 150kg of tyre material or 15+ sets of tyres. This seems extremely unrealistic

Even if the figure was 10% of this value that would equate to around 2 sets of tyres across 30,000km. Or in other words a new set of tyres every year based of average driving

Does this seem realistic to anyone? I'm coming up on 10,000km in a heavy ID.4 and by their calculations my tyres should be worn to the point of needing replacement. And yet they look practically new

Am I an exception, or are other drivers having similar experiences?

Also, to be clear, I'm not saying tyre emissions are bad. I wouldn't want to be inhaling that sh*t, but I'd want to be inhaling poisonous diesel exhaust even less

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The article = 1+1=7. Nonsense for the most part. Been driving EVs since 2017 and if I'd gone through as many boots as claimed in the article, I'd have moved to a diesel 🤣

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Miscreant

We went through this merry go round 2 years ago. There is nothing new in this study: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058114416/tyre-pollution-up-to-1-000-times-worse-than-engines-study-finds/p1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

What happens if a particular EV is lighter then the ICE car next to it????.

My understanding is that a Tesla Model 3 SR+ and a Mercedes C class diesel 2.0 Estate in just launched new model.

Are closely matched on weight.

To me im not sure we can turn around and target EVs for this and also ignore any ICE car that's heavy.

A Land Rover Discovery 3 is 2.7 tonnes I understand.

And then there's all the Mercedes Sprinter and Ford Transit vans you see everywhere.

Fully loaded those vans can be in the 3.5 to 5 tonne range depending on the spec you go for.

Im suspicious that this only became an issue as soon as EVs took off - especially given that brake pollution also became a thing.

Yet the brake pollution thing usually totally ignores regen braking on EVs which reduce the need to use friction brakes.

I suppose the real answer is that we need to work to reduce all pollution as much as possible.

Advertisement