Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport Pickup

• 23-01-2007 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm picking my mate up from the airport on saturday and was wondering if you can wait somewhere nearby and then pick up somewhere convenient without paying for parking? Need to do a quick pickup as I'm rushing down to south dublin straight after he lands.

Anyone picked someone up from the airport recently? Got any advice and directions as to where I have to go?

Thanks,

Stooge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

You can stop at the pickup point temperarely while loading / unloading luggage, but you often see lots others parked there and alot waiting in their cars. Theres a 90 euro release fee if you get clamped if you leave your car unattended, you would be really unlucky to be clamped there. There is no free parking unless you dont mind walking about 2 or 3 miles :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

There is a few parking spaces in the Esso garage exiting the airport; pull up there and get your friend to ring you when they have luggage etc and are at departures and ready to head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

As you come off the airport roundabout and are headed towards the main arr/dep car areas there's a set of traffic lights. Just at them theres a small area on the left where people park with their hazards on. I think the airport police come along every now and then and move them on but it's a good spot for 10 mins or so. The esso garage is another good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Just park and wait in the airport church car park. There is a walkway into from the back of the multi-storey at the exit of block c beside the trolley service lift. The car entrance to it it immediately after the multi-story end of departures road entrance - between block c and the old long term car park 2/short term surface carpark http://www.dublinairport.com/at-airport/airport-maps/car-parking.html

Other options are to wait at The Coachmans, Keilys, The Alsaa, The Great Southern car parks which are all free (Great Southern for a few hours) and get your mate to ring you when he is up on the departures road and drive up to him and pick him up there, or better still have the lazy fecker down to meet you.

Please don't park in the Esso garage as advised above, it's a small and busy enough garage without having people loitering around blocking it up. All the above places I've mentioned have plenty of capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the quick and excellent replies. I'm going to try arriving about 10/15mins after his flight is due so that he should be ready. I may stop in the ALSAA or the great southern (as bluetonic suggested), wait for a call then drive up.

Just wondering though, when you drive past the water fountain/pond thingy, how do you get to the pickup point? The only road I know is the one the buses go up.

Cheers,

Gary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

stooge wrote:
    Just wondering though, when you drive past the water fountain/pond thingy, how do you get to the pickup point? The only road I know is the one the buses go up.

There is no official pick up point, the departures road is a set down area for drop off only. Still you'll get away with using it as a pick up once your quick about it.

Just keep left, following everything else. Where the bus would go right, you just keep straight up the departures ramp, you'll be prevented from going any other way anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Just use the departures area....I do all the time.....its a complete scam if you ask me that there is nowhere to collect people....just trying to make you pay for parking/taxi

Hey again,

Thanks for the directions, they'll come in very handy. Wasn't sure where to go as I've never driven up there before, only got the aircoach.

I suppose it is a bit of a scam asking people to pay for parking if they are just collecting people - at Belfast International you can't even stop for a second. but then again, with heightened security and all, I suppose its understandable.

Can probably lock this thread now unless anyone has anything else to add?

Thanks again,

Stooge

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you intend picking up at departures be sure to tell your friend to go upstairs as they will arrive on the lower level.

Once you stay in the vehicle, there are loads of areas to wait. Most have been mentioned already but here are another few.
    As you approach the terminal building, there is a fountain to the right. There is an area of hatched markings opposite it. Many cars wait here for a call. Once you stay in the vehicle the airport police don't usually bother you.
    The rear of the multi-storey car park/coach park is now open to any vehicle but again, don't leave unattended.
    Another area is in the vicinity of the taxi compound down by the Great Southern but again, don't leave unattended.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just bring your laptop with you. When security arrive show them this and they will be quick to get away from you...
    www.thecleverest.com/countdown.swf
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

kbannon wrote:
    Just bring your laptop with you. When security arrive show them this and they will be quick to get away from you...

ROTFLMAO:D :D:D:D:D

kbannon wrote:
    Hamndegger wrote:
    ROTFLMAO :D:D:D:D:D
    Me too! Brilliant. Post of the month. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I usually wait on the Old Airport Road where all the plane spotters are. Then get the person to call you when they get to the Departures lane and collect them there

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=dublin&ie=UTF8&z=15&ll=53.420045,-6.242723&spn=0.012276,0.043259&t=h&om=1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just like the scene in the film independence day, and Im sure it will get you into the white house too.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭horse7

They're closing the departure road apparently, where will pick up/drop off now?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭DaBluBoi

Shouldn't this warrant an entirely new topic, instead of replying to a thread from FIFTEEN YEARS ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭con747

I reckon after 15 years they were picked up. I hope.......

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

This thread is making me feel very old and I'm also wondering how much time I've spent on this site over the years!

Just thinking the same after seeing a reply I gave 15 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,239 ✭✭✭markpb

Pull up a chair children, the old folks are about to start reminiscing about the good old days :D

• Advertisement

Wouldn't it be nice if they had a pick up tent there and just blocked the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Allinall

The short term car park is there for that exact purpose.

I think the airport people are making enough money from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭CrookedJack

Would you not just pay the 3 euros and use the short term car park? Surely an hour would do and you wouldn't have to faff around clogging up petrol stations or gyms.

OP here, still waiting for the guy to pass through customs.... should be out any minute 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

Yep departure road is closed off. Had to park at the short term parking area

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭con747

Surprised a Mod hasn't shut this relic down, a sign of the new Boards I suppose.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

A long time ago when I was just a young fella, Boards.ie looked very different...

We all looked different 😜

• Advertisement
Advertisement