Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Massey Ferguson 4255 Loader Tractor

Options
  • 02-06-2022 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Well Lads,

Just said id come on here to ask if anyone who may have or know a bit about using a Massey Ferguson 4255 as a loader tractor. We currently have a 2wd one, but we are considering changing it for a 4wd one with the addition of a front loader.

Our only concern is the front axle on them, Would it be considered strong enough for average use of say a bale of silage or 1T of fertilizer. Have been warned of other tractors as loader tractors having quite a weak front end so was advised to stay away from them. As said above, having a 4255 already we quite like the tractor so if anyone can give us some pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Contractor I worked for years ago had a 4wd 4255 as the loader tractor stacking over the thousand bales of silage every year. I had a 4270 myself and I'd say it's the same axle and zero issues that way. Biggest issue of any like that is now the age and hours worked and what abuse they got.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PN14

Have a 4345 here as loader tractor for last 12 years, same tractor pretty much. No issue with front axel, but always keep it greased here especially center pivot (i think thats what its called). Bit light on rear end with a heavy silage bale up front you'd need a weight or be a bit careful maneuvering its easy lift a rear wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

Have a 4wd 4255 here for past 10 yrs with a loader on it. Bought the tractor, then added the loader later. No bother with axel and no signs of wear/slop and we would be feeding out 400/450 bales pa with the front loader. We have a bale shear on it for the past 2 winters - no bother but we do have a rear weight block on since we got the bale shear. Put 2,000 hours on it in 10 years, 5,000 hours on the clock now

Only issues I have is it's the standard bonnet and an 18 x 6 speedshift model, so no shuttle. Buy a model with a shuttle, ideadly the wet clutch one. The gearing ratio's on the 18x6 in high gear are waaaaaaay too fast for yard work, medium a bit slow so lots of revving if you want to make progress. For me the gearing is actually a bigger pain than not having a shuttle and contributed in no small way, I feel, in having to put a replacement clutch in 5 years ago. I have a feeling that we might be looking at another one again soon (aprox 1000 hours put up since)

Try buy a snoop bonnet, with a wet clutch shuttle & no loader on it to start. Then put a self levelling, soft ride loader on it after. Soft ride more important than self levelling IMO. Soft ride can be retrofitted to any loader for €250/ €300 if the one you buy doesn't have it.

If you like the Massey and are familiar with them, you are prob as well to stick with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭DBK1

Great post and I think that’s as good of advice as the OP could hope to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Darren456

Yeah our current 2wd 4255 is the Snub nose version and we were thinking of sticking with the same as I find viability is slightly better.

Thanks for all the insights lads, appreciate it 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭roosterman71

@Jim Simmental has a 4255 as a loader tractor here too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Imo they are too old now ,snoopy nose had cooling problems .they only are manual shuttle .the same tractor as a 390 no comfort slow gearbox .Grand tractor if you are not in a hurry and not doing a lot of work .

For similar money you probably buy a 10 year newer superior landini vision or mccormick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

4255 was common with power shuttle and most were 40k out of the factory.

How's the McCormack going for you? I think they're a nice type tractor but not common around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

Just resurrecting this thread as I bought a 4255 lately privately (not from a dealer) and twas a clean 5000hour looking tractor but could be a bit of a money pit too. Didn't get much of a chance to inspect it thoroughly before buying it. Now I have it in the yard at home seems that It won't go into L range. It's 12/12 manual shuttle, 4 gears on the lever with the plus and minus symbols on the gear lever. It's going into medium and high ranges OK.

There's a good bit of play in the gear linkage so I'm hoping if I replace the short link at the end of the gearstick it might take some of the play out of the linkage.

Yeah the short linkage at the bottom might need replacing maybe €20 or €30. Very easy fix you can do yourself. Take it off and have a look. It might just be stiff also if the previous owner rarely used the Low range. Or I find sometimes that if you are in one range and moving across 2 ranges either up or down it wont go across the 2 ranges in one go. What works for me is to drive forward a foot in Medium and then shift down to Low. Same thing happens sometimes on the way up.

• Advertisement

Thanks @Jimmy G M, there's a little bit of wear on the gear lever where it connects to the shaft going into the gear box, a little bit of play here adds alot of travel to such a long gear stick.

I wonder is there a thermostat on these tractors on the oil cooler pipe? Back end on her seems to be a getting a touch too warm

A warm back end is completely normal for these tractors. I was a bit surprised myself when we got our 4255 first, you could feel the warm air coming in the back window when topping, drawing in bales or whatever, compared to the 390T that we had at the time also. Asked the garage we bought from at the time and he said thats normal. 11 years later no issues with the back end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Same here on a 4355 back end gets right hot doing any work but hasn't had any major issues

Thanks for the replies @jimmy G M @dozand @Dozer1

That's reassuring. Is there a noticeable whine or change in tone out of your tractors when in reverse, kind of like on a car when put in reverse?

There could be alot more hours on the tractor than I thought as engine hour odometer ain't turning and the rev gauge ain't working either. So I've to get to the bottom of that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

might be altermator problem with revs not showing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Dozer1

@divillybit no noticeable noise in reverse in mine anyway

Advertisement