Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours incursion in garden

Options
  • 30-05-2022 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭

I was collecting my sister, who is 70, from the airport and dropping her home. As we arrived, a neighbour two doors down - all three houses involved are terraced houses, appeared to have employed a builder to dig up his garden, and the garden next door to my sister's, with the intention of putting down paving. The noise was a bit shocking, however, we dropped her stuff, and on the way out told the builder to mind her garden and not to come inside her boundary - the gardens are open plan but the boundaries can be detected by the centre of a short brick divider wall which goes for about 3 feet of the garden. As we were heading off again to get her stocked up on food, we decided to turn back, we both had misgiving that the builder would do as we asked. We returned to the house within 5 mins, and the builder had taken a chunk, maybe 18 inches by 12 inches of grass and soil out of my sister's garden. We said that we were really unhappy about same. The builder said it was an accident. We asked him to mark the line from the small bit of boundary wall that jutted a few feet from the house, but he said no, he could 'eye' it. I said eyeing wasn't good enough, and it should be marked. Then the neighbour two doors down who is employing the builder to do his house, and the house next to my sisters, came out of his house and verbally abused me and my sister for 15 minutes, calling us 'knacxxxers' etc. My sister was really upset. She lives there on her own. He would have previously just apparently for being awkward, blacked her car in her driveway. Anyway, the house directly next door to my sister, whose garden boundaries her garden, and which is also being paved over, with agreement from the owners, by the neighbour two doors down, has been unoccupied for some time. I managed to get the mobile number of the neighbour who owns this house, and tell him that the paving guy had incurred into my sister's garden, removing some grass and soil, and we needed reassurance that he would not go beyond the boundary with my sister's house when doing the paving. They never responded. I got some white line paint and plastic wire and marked the boundary line out as best I could. Is there anything else we can do in this situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,273 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would just verbally point out the boundary marking and request that any damage (which has already been caused) is repaired to suitable standard.

Sometimes you just have to give alittle to have an easy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Thanks, Mickdw. I agree with you, but I hope it doesn't ends with that. I feel the next door neighbour whose house is empty, should have just, out of courtesy, texted or phoned my sister to let her know what was happening, and she could have aired any concerns re boundary or damage with them then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,273 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Why is there not a small marker kerb dividing properties?

Even when it comes to cutting grass, this seems like a poor setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

Just put up a fence, a few wooden boards and posts. when job done remove.

It's a very poor set up. Houses built early 90s. There is a wall about, I think, 5ft high and maybe 3 ft long jutting out form the dividing line between the houses. It's 4 x bricks wide, so I just measured the midpoint and brought the line along from that. The driveways are at right angles, so some of my sister's garden goes along their driveway. It's hard to explain, but not ideal. The neighbours are quite poisonous in the cul de sac. We could never understand why she would not leave. She has an autistic son - in residential care now - and the neighbour who was calling us 'knacxxx', and his now wife used to taunt and tease him, and occasionally swear at him, and some of the other neighbours jointed in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Is there any marker out by the pavement that you could line up with the short wall?

Also paving must be porous and drained properly.

Hi! Chooseusername. There's no marker on pavement we could use. Because the driveways are at right angles, the marker of my sister's boundary is at the edge of the neighbour's driveway. I spoke to the owners of the property beside us. As they don't live there, I managed to contact them through the husband's business. The guy in the last property who was abusive to us is apparently paying for both properties. The neighbours next door said they would give assurances that the neighbour who is employing the paver to to his work and theirs, would not go beyond the boundary line, which I clearly marked in white spray paint. I spoke to my cousin who is an engineer, and he mentioned that the paving had to be porous, and that they had to be careful with the drainage to not waterlog our garden. I informed the next door neighbour of this, and that they needed to go back and ensure that this was done with the neighbour who is paying for both jobs. I hope this works for my sister's sake. They didn't appear today, but we are both concerned that they may not adhere to what we asked. I took photos etc of the boundary line I drew on her garden, and also photos of the damage they had already done to her garden.

Advertisement