Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase

Options
  • 27-05-2022 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,

our landlord is asking for a contribution towards the service charge payments? Is this lawful?

We havent had a rent increase in a while so no issues if it's described as that but can they ask us to pay the service charges?

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

Contact RTB Monday morning. I'm not clear what you mean by service charges?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That would be considered a rent increase and need to be treated as such, RPZ rules etc if they apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Not if it was included as a term in the lease agreement signed by the tenant. RTB say they do not discuss individual leases but Threshold has tenant advice on their website.

Landlords can pass on service charges (apartment management fees) to tenants and various other costs but OP needs to check the lease and see if there is anything in it about additional charges. Some information here also:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭dennyk

As others have said, that would only be allowed if it is in your current tenancy agreement. If your current agreement says nothing about the tenant being responsible for such fees, your landlord can't unilaterally demand that you pay them.

It's important to know that your landlord also cannot demand that you sign a new agreement or accept new terms they want to add to your current agreement. If you've been in your tenancy at least six months, then you have security of tenure under Part 4 of the Residential Tenancies Act and your landlord can only terminate the tenancy for a few specific reasons (and refusing to sign a new or amended lease agreement is not one of those reasons).

That said, depending on how long "a while" is, your landlord might be able to conduct a rent review and increase the rent itself that way, provided they give you the necessary notice and the increase is within the allowable limits. It would be better to have them do that than to agree to pay these extra charges, however, as signing a new agreement to pay those service charges in addition to your rent wouldn't generally be considered a rent review, so there'd be nothing stopping your landlord from getting you to agree to that and then jacking up your rent on top of it.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but we have been given notice about our proposed rent increase. We're in a RPZ zone and only moved in last Feb so my question is this lawful? I was under the impression that a landlord couldn't increase your rent for the first 2 years in a RPZ property? i found the below on the Citizen information website

"Rent reviews for an existing tenancy in an RPZ

If a tenancy is already in existence when an area becomes a Rent Pressure Zone, the first rent review can take place 24 months after either of the following:

• The start of the tenancy
    • The date you were notified in writing of your last review

Subsequent rent reviews can take place after 12 months and must adhere to the RPZ rules."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

Get in touch with rtb

Don't get a meditation it pointless.

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread but we have been given notice about our proposed rent increase. We're in a RPZ zone and only moved in last Feb so my question is this lawful? I was under the impression that a landlord couldn't increase your rent for the first 2 years in a RPZ property? i found the below on the Citizen information website

"Rent reviews for an existing tenancy in an RPZ

If a tenancy is already in existence when an area becomes a Rent Pressure Zone, the first rent review can take place 24 months after either of the following:

• The start of the tenancy
    • The date you were notified in writing of your last review

Subsequent rent reviews can take place after 12 months and must adhere to the RPZ rules."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Advertisement