Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkeypox virus

Options

Comments

Not that straightforward sadly. The smallpox vaccine is a live virus so it's not recommended for high risk groups. There is a non-replicating version but it's not in production yet.

Anyone over 50 though shouldn't need one as they would have got it as children.

No, because it's not a pandemic - and we can't run for vaccination every time a virus or bacteria or fungi pops up.

There is also merit in having exposure to these viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

We are not living well.

The planet is reacting to our unsustainable and unhealthy ways of living and it is fighting back like an immune system. It's going to fight back harder and harder until either we're gone or adapt to live in synchronicity within nature and our inherent design.

Exactly.

Eating Big Macs has enraged Mother Earth to unleash a virus at gay sex festivals to punish the rest of us.

Makes perfect sense when you think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

It's the bigger picture, and I'm correct.

Try this one.

I like chicken fillet roll....I don't like high prices....need cheaper meat....need to export meat production to China because it's cheaper because it's shittier food standards....need to transport chicken meat from China to fill a roll in centra for 5 cent profit...Chinese need to intensify meat production....multi-level farming where birds live-in cages above fish farms so as fish can eat the shyt of birds, to be fed to pigs who live in abhorrent conditions with cattle that are fed scraps that are fed to chickens in close contact with uneducated people living in slums....nature responds in kind to unnatural ways of life....covid 19....pandemics...death....but I like chicken fillet roll for cheap.

So yeah, you want a chicken fillet roll for cheap, you get a global pandemic.

People get what they deserve for how they live, no matter how many steps in between.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

we don't import chicken from china. Most of it comes from brazil and thailand.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Monkeypox = Covid 2.0

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

This...completely correct .

Men in general very poor at going to the doctor about any issues particularly anal or genital .

Monkeypox can be passed on by hand to hand , infected bed clothes etc contact as well as respiratory droplets and sexual contact . Once a person is contagious the vesicles can burst and droplets can infect anything or anyone they touch who is susceptible also , a bit like chicken pox.

It doesn't check your sexuality first.

While not as contagious as Covid , everybody, not just the LGBT community needs to made aware .

Good article here ..

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-01493-6

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The astute decision would be to cancel Pride Day, sorry.....weekend, sorry...It's a whole month now. But that's basically sacrilege, just like cancelling Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Apparently in Ireland "they'll be isolated, they're doing contact tracing and all the things you would expect in sensible public health measures." Hmmmmmm.....

But I see they didn't keep the Irish guy (presumably?) in hospital.

And again, no info shared, for privacy reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

I hear the Clayton hotel at the airport is in lockdown with a monkey-pox air hostess in quarantine.......

(Flashback joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Glenomra

I read that the Russians are blaming US biolabs in Nigeria for the outbreak. Opportunistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,019 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

As a gay person myself, I can say that you are absolutely right: an entire month for "Pride" probably irritates more people against the so-called LGB-T community than it does to cause mass support.

Most people do mass support LGB-Tism, and good for that.

But we don't need nor require an entire month to talk about it.

And to @Goldengirl, you're wrong. Given that this virus is primarily transmitting within LGB-T circles, it's absolutely paramount that our community - in particular and above all else - must be targeted with an information campaign, just as with HIV and the means to take precautions to prevent catching this infection, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Anyone know if there has ever been a case of monkey pox in Ireland prior to 2022?

Think a fair few posters could benefit from reading this...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It hasn't been a notifiable disease before now, so there's every chance there have been cases in the past but the HPSC or HSE have not been notified because there's no obligation to do so.

Only a complete idiot would claim that "Monkeypox was a sexually transmitted infection (STI) or “gay disease” that is only spread between men who engage in sexual relations with other men".

That's not the claim.

The claim is that this virus is currently circulating among the LGB-T community to a far greater extent than everyone else - and that is a rock-solid, irrefutable, non-contentious fact.

In the same way that not all HIV is spread among the LGB-T community. Many straight people have it, too.

But as the statistics show, HIV and Monkeypox, and syphilis actually, is far, far, far more likely to spread among the LGB-T community.

That's why an information campaign is needed to target this community above all others.

To brush this fact under the carpet is to ignore the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Still only a couple hundred cases in Europe and yet there are articles every other day in the Irish media on it. Bizarre, but presumably a hangover from the covid gravy train and the media looking to drum up hype in order to generate clicks. It really is nothing like covid and never will be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Bizarre considering how not very harmful and how low the case numbers are that we are hearing so much about it. Would nearly be worried the media will whip this into something and drum up some hysteria if they keep creating articles on it. The Journal also has an explainer article posted just this evening on it.

Exactly . But apparently only gay people need to be informed of this according to another

poster here , never mind the fact that gay people and MSM live in homes and interact with other people !

Nobody is saying that is not the case ...just that everyone needs to be informed and aware , not just the LGBT community

It can be spread to anyone through close contact so family members and roommates can pick it up , gay or straight .

I don't know about you personally , but most of the homosexual people I know mix or live with straight people too .

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Mr_Jacko

From listening into conversations there seems to be quite an amount of misinformation being spread about the virus which is concerning.

It baffles me that if people only did a quick google search and fact-checked themselves they'd know what they're spouting is clearly wrong.

No.

Saying that "everyone needs to be aware of Monkeypox" is the same as saying "let's ignore the fact that most current transmission of the virus is among the LGB-T community". It whitewashes the problem and assumes that risk is equal among all in society. This is done to do away the stained link that a biological virus is somehow socially linked to a particular demographic. Well, it is. The link exists.

We can pretend the link doesn't exist, or never has existed, between HIV and the LGB-T community, or we can do the exact opposite and target this population accordingly with an effective information campaign that promotes safe sexual practice / isolation of those more likely to experience symptoms. This has been proven to work in the case of HIV, and it will work in the case of Monkeypox if we take the same approach.

And yes, of course the virus will spread.

Monkeypox can spread from a gay man who has recently attended a gay sex festival in Madrid, travel back to New York, and spread it to his housemates with whom he has had no sexual contact. Nobody has argued otherwise. This is a certainty; it will happen. But that's not the question, and it serves as an unnecessary red herring and total distraction.

But you are repeatedly denying, or are perhaps unaware, of the spread within the LGB-T community at present.

Which is it?

This is either wilful, in which case you are denying the facts to promote a sanitized approach to how we address the matter. Maybe you dislike the valid association between current viral spread and the LGB-T community. Or it's not wilful, in which case you should take the time to become accustomed with the facts surrounding the current spread of Monkeypox disease in society.

In either case, action is warranted - not by me, but by you.

The one thing we can say with absolute certainty is that sweeping the problem under the carpet by trying to decouple the link between current viral spread and the LGB-T community is a brazen act of irresponsibility. It means we cannot come up with a targeted approach to limit the spread in the most likely group to transmit the infection at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Everyone doesn't need to be informed and aware, it's more fear mongering from the press, the people at high risk should know who they are by now and who they've put at risk. This has been mainly spread through LGBT events in Europe and saunas in other countries, the media are tip toesing around this not to cause any stigmitization, which is wrong in a way as it's having an adverse effect on some already fragile minds that need to be protected from this kind of sensationalism. Contact tracing should alredy have a good handle on this, where's the good new stories?

We're not all in this together. Call it like it is and make the advertising targeted, most of us shouldn't even notice there's a campaign happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Jesus Christ, of course everyone should be informed and aware. To watch out for symptoms. Or do you want a teacher to ignore their symptoms and go into school and infect their students? You know with young people more at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,019 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

An approach only targeting men who have sex with men with information and awareness is ludicrous. A dual approach of specific targeting of men who have sex with men PLUS a general approach of information provision to the entire community is best. And shaming men who have sex with men about it like some here are doing wont work from a public health perspective either.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Have we any plan on how to vaccinate those at risk?

So far, I've seen that we have vaccines but just healthcare workers has been mentioned for vaccinating. Can't they still vaccinate close contacts before they show symptoms? So how come family members or people they live with aren't being mentioned for a vaccine?

Advertisement