Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working for farm relief

Options
  • 25-05-2022 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Anyone on here working with the farm relief? A friend of mine contacted them recently about a job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

€11 a hour gross pay to the worker in early 2021 it was. Farmer claimed he was paying them round €16 a hour for the same worker.

Be making good money them frs on the backs of the workers & farmer's.

Lads in suits of clothes again I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Well €2 of that difference would be gone on employer's prsi and then VAT on the bill?

(8.8% and 13%)

Leaving FRS with €3 an hour. Then FRS have to insure against any midtakes by the employee. Surely another €1.

Leaving €2 less overheads. Office, secretary, accountant, wage processing, advertising, any other staff.

Doubt they're creaming it.

And to the OP. Yes I worked for FRS but back in the late 90s and early 2000s.

We were getting €10 a hour back then as students. The €11 an hour above is hardly great pay.

It can be hit and miss. I remember one summer getting nothing off them for 4 or 5 weeks of the summer just before the harvest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

I think you mean 'mistakes' not 'midtakes',,,,

You owe me €1 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Prsi 11.05%, holiday and bank holiday pay 12.9%

Op, your friend would be better off watching donedeal or indeed posting a ad on it themselves offering their labour etc. Lots of work on farms at the moment advertised there.

Paid monthly to the worker with frs.

€11 an hour? That's poor. Can't have been much good in fairness. What are tesco or aldi paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Ad on done deal, worked great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Worked for them 30 years ago and this will tell you how things have changed. Worked for a lad with 120 Dairy cows back than and he had a full time farm manager and he used all so get in casual farm relief. He was what we used to call a gentleman farmer and you bring your own samages because you wouldn't get inside the door. Probably need 500 cows today to be able to pay a farm manager. On the 11 euro an hour you are not paying any tax on it and you are learning a bit and hop on as many machines as you can and get some free training and your getting a free farmers tan out of it so not bad for a young buck starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

For a available worker or anyone looking to earn extra income, stay away from frs, paid monthly & low pay.

No doubt your man Dan is experienced & that won't be recognised with frs.

Lots of ads online in many counties looking for help presently.agree good terms & conditions from the get go, so your man knows where he stands.

Frs is more positives for the farmer looking for help than from a working man's position.

Give us the goary details of your experience. Sounds like it wasn't pleasant for you. Did you get paid? My understanding is that frs always pay on time even if they have to wait for payment themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You'd think that farm workers wouldn't need FRS to get them jobs, Farm workers are in the demand now.

Hard to see where you'd get problems deaing with FRS if they pay on time, what else is there to it

Id say demand could be quieter this time of year. It's a pity our milk supply is so seasonal, all the work compacted into a few weeks.

Probably still plenty poor/bad payers out there too. Working for a farmer doesn't really offer any route for progression in most cases either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Its mostly the same farmers the whole time looking for help because they will kill any one that works for them with work .I heard a lad that used to a bit of relief milking for local big herd until they put up a bigger rotary .He just said the pace was even too hectic ever before the bigger parlour and then you could not even get a minute for a pis with the bigger parlour

Oh yeah, young lads are foolish if they opt for farming with the opportunities out there.

I'm sure the poor employers are well flagged on the grapevine/whatsapp and so they should be.

some horrific poor stories coming from student placements these days

The greencert placements are scandalous, nearest thing to slave labour, 120ish per week is it?

I presume if you worked for frs and got on well, you may get an opportunity to up skill some what. Theres good money to be got out of farming without actual farming, look at Cammy (thesheepgame), between scanning and shearing I'd say he brings in a tidy sum. Shearing is hard going, scanning is too but maybe not as bad.

• Advertisement

Scanning and shearing is great for a young fellow, you'd get well set up for €40k and have work across the year........even sheaering now is year round if you wanted it part time from the farm.

Both scanners and shearers are getting scarce now

I suppose scanning would take a long time to get good at. Surely a case of practise practise practise and could be hard to get a farmer to let a novice at it without getting them checked by a more experienced scanner. Over the last few years a good few vets have got into scanning, cow scanning anyway, not sure are there many new lads at sheep scanning.

Advertisement