Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperately looking for house to rent

• 27-05-2022 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I am a mother with 2 children desperately looking for a house to rent.

My recent Landlord has sent me an eviction notice because of house sale.

I always payed my rent in time during the 6 years of my tenancy.

We are non-smokers and are looking for a detached house all over Ireland, min. 3 bedrooms, proper condition without mould, reasonably priced.

No problem paying rent in advance, if required.

I am heavily worried about getting homeless,

please post any offers! 

Thanks

Stacy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Why do you need a detached house ? That cuts out alot of property.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Stacy1978

Detached is preferred, but semi or terraced might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

First I would say drop the reasonably priced. It like your implying below market rent. Why would anyone rent below market rent to someone they do not know. Have you prepared a good dossier? Payment slips, landlord references etc

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

All over Ireland? Does that mean you aren't working?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Is a three bed flat not good enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,771 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 19,008 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

We are non-smokers

Are the kids adults or is there another adult in the mix too?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

This is why boards is so great. Every person so far came into the thread not to offer help but to cast judgement on the OP.

Many areas have facebook groups for property rentals, you could try joining them OP. But the one in my area is all people looking for property, hardly anything posted for vacancies.

I've been looking for a 1 or 2 BR flat for the past year and a half. On daft there has been 0 property to rent in town for that entire time period. It's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

Apply for a council house.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭tvjunki

If you are using the above to find a place, ask yourself if you were a landlord based on what you have written would this encourage a landlord to approach you. Would help if you say if the children are adults. You did say as Donald Trump said it does imply there is another adult you have not mentioned or your children are adults. If you are working say it. Your budget etc.

You are not being evicted unless you have not carried out the obligations as a tenant. E.g anti social non payment of rent not looking after the property. You have been given notice to leave. Your words would not put you in good light.

Suggest contact letting agents in the area you would like to live in. Have references, proof of income, work and character reference ready to go. Present yourself at the office as if you are going for an interview. You may find that they have properties ready to go for the right person. Ask your landlord if they will give you a reference. Have previous reference handy as well.

I cannot see the big thing about Daft and everyone using it as a marker from rentals. There are other avenues to find a rental property. Ask your friends and family to put the word out you are looking for a place. If your children are in school ask other families if they know a place.

I have used Daft 4 times in 15 years and in all cases I got a tenant through word of mouth. Many potential tenants do not read the advertisement anyway. Maybe that is why there are such few properties advertised on it.

Good luck with your search.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

yup, plenty of judgmental arseholes on boards alright

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Just to be aware, very few landlords use daft for advertising a property.

It's yesterday's format.

Agents have lists of people pre-vetted and that's how to proceed.

Pick your areas, check for the main letting agents there, provide your details and hopefully they will have something by the time you have to leave your current address.

Current landlord has to give you notice in an official format and with specific time. - a few months if you've been there 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Or maybe people clicked in out of curiosity and wonder how the situation is so desperate but the conditions of a detached 3 bed are so important. If I was desperately trying to put a roof over the head of my child I wouldn't be so picky.

What's wrong with a 2 bed apartment?

There was a single mother of 1 child on newstalk breakfast on Thursday saying she needs a 4 bedroom house. Why? And then she had the cheek to say the government has let her down. Not her own pride and selfishness, the government. And

...its clearly obvious our property markets are starting to catastrophically collapse now, people are becoming desperate, such postings are coming from this desperation and pure terrier of being possible homeless, so they tend to be highly emotionally charged, and understandably so....

Well then don't set criteria of a 3 bed detached house as the base level requirements

...once again, in the act of desperation, logic leaves the building, if it was ever in the building in the first place. have compassion towards those that find themselves in this desperate situation, theyre simply terrified, they dont need strangers on the internets passing judgement, and criticising them

Ah stop. If the situation is as desperate as made out to be then you ask does anybody have any accommodation, roof and plumbing required, everything else optional. Does she want a 4 poster bed too? And I'm assuming a north facing garden won't be tolerated.

funnily enough, we call this 'emotional maturity'!

once again, in such situations, logical thought is virtually impossible, this is a person panicking, once again, such people dont need strangers casting judgement and criticism!

Yet the logical thought is there to admirably say that anywhere in Ireland is acceptable. You're wrong, if there's a desperate requirement to house children here then you take anything you get, you don't set criteria that has you competing against tech employees with deep pockets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

haha I saw that. She was offered a house and she said no as it only had two bedrooms and said it's too small. She needs a bigger house for her stuff she said.

Imagine being in need of housing, being on a list for 10 years knowing you probably won't get an offer for another 10 years and then reading that. You'd feel sick.

Unbelievable.

Simple solution to that nonsense, offer her an appropriate house in her area and if she declines then it's straight to the very end of the housing list. Cut this entitlement out overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭standardg60

Evidently not panicking enough not to dictate what requirements are a minimum.

If only people looking to buy had such entitlement to those choices.

I think that is why people like the OP receive little sympathy from posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Stacy1978

Thank you all very much for discussing the matter.

Hopefully someone will offer proper accommodation for us.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

Nearly a million people living below the poverty line with housing costs factored according to a recent report.

Perhaps you should claim asylum in one of the direct provision centres.

Or get ready to compete with another 40,000 cheap labour imports from outside the EU that are being fast tracked into the pyramid scheme.

Lots of options.

Country is being run like a treasonous joke at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sw59td

4 bed, 3 bath detached in Kerry Pike for 3000€ per month

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

OP, ask your landlord which auctioneer s/he is thinking of selling the house with and ask if you can contact them to ask if they deal with rentals and to explain your situation.

Their auctioneer and your landlord will be eager to rehouse your family ASAP so they can sell. Word of advice though please don’t mention that you want a detached house. Just that you require a 3bed and are willing to travel within reasonable travel distance of x area

In fact I would contact every auctioneer in your area and explain your situation with your references and ask your current landlord for a reference

Good luck

ETA also contact Threshold to confirm that the notice your landlord gave you is valid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

edit: PM this sort of info, and don't expect a reply

Post edited by L1011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Disgraceful question.

Landlords may not discriminate based on receipt of HAP.

Are you a Public so-called "worker"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Your contributions to Accommodation forum and Work Problems forms are Thatcherite pull yourself up and stop claiming put downs.

A poster can present themselves with a genuine difficulty and get told to work or starve.

Never a mention of HAP, the landlords dole or the the business supports that companies were happy to claim during lockdown and lay staff off when it ends.

And yet like me you are not a 1% percent elite self made millionaire, just an ordinary worker and no shame in that

So why do you look down on everyone?

Advertisement