Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debate: Does it annoy you that RTE are only Broadcaster on HD on Saorview?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

As the availability of UHF channels frequencies get less due to mobile networks advancement .A new form compression is need for terrestrial television. Without loss of picture quality and especially for 4K.In other words less bandwidth been used .To squeeze more channels into the channel frequency . That's my thinking for the future for terrestrial TV .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

High capacity DVB-T2 mux combined with the high compression codec HEVC is the next step for broadcasters. Already included in most if not all TVs on the market now. Already the broadcast standard in Germany for a few years now. Will be used by broadcasters for 4k terrestrial transmissions, France for example by the 2024 Olympics.

Beyond that 5g broadcast is a likely candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Everything changes, UHF will be taking over by internet services in time.

You could see another clearance of the band, 600 MHZ maybe, we'll be left with a group A red tip aerial, so in time we may end up with 6g broadcasting.

5g terrestrial broadcast, if it eventually replaces DVB will share spectrum with 5g internet services, hi-tower hi-power for broadcast, low-tower low-power for internet services. Various trials happening around the world.

WRC-2023 will be making decisions on the future of the UHF band but no changes before the end of 2030 as broadcasting is locked in by regulation until then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Meanwhile in Italy they are closing down the SD channels so you can only see them in HD, another batch went on the 14th (Rai news 24 - Rai 4 - Rai 5 - Rai Gulp - Rai Movie - Rai Yoyo - Rai Sport - Rai Scuola - Rai Premium - Rai Storia) and most of the rest of the main channels will be HD only next year.

They are even offering scrappage on old TV's if you can't get HD !!

https://www.tivusat.tv/S2/

Entro il 2021 quasi tutti i canali saranno visibili solo a un dispositivo HD e 4K: è necessario predisporre di un decoder satellitare DVB-S2 per vedere il meglio della tv.

Note : It's FTV so to see it full time you need to buy a tivusat card. You can only buy them with a receiver or CAM and you need an Italian PRSI number to activate the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Can't see myself any pressing reason in the short to mid term for Ireland to go on from its present terrestrial DVB-T/MPEG4 broadcasting network to a newer generation of transmission & compression. Unlike Germany, HD channels can already be accommodated on Ireland's terrestrial network and unlike France no Irish broadcaster has signalled intentions of wanting to broadcast 4K via DTT. Should anyone want to broadcast via Saorview there's still plenty of spare capacity over the two DVB-T multiplexes even for HD. In Italy the terrestrial conversion to DVB-T2/HEVC is being done in parallel to their 700 MHz band clearance as the capacity gains by moving to a higher capacity per Hz system in DVB-T2 alongside moving from MPEG2/MPEG4 to HEVC will be badly needed in a reduced UHF broadcast spectrum - if you take a look at the digitalbitrate.com website you'll see that at present there are 28 DVB-T multiplexes serving Milan and 26 in Rome! (One RAI mux in VHF Band III, the rest in the UHF bands).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

We have two nearly full HD channels , a children's channel and a channel that should be in HD but isn't because it would cost too much for the state to pay the state because a broadcaster bailed out by the state complained.

There's a news channel and two +1 channels that wouldn't be needed if you had a PVR , or you could fold the debate channel into the news channel or show it in the midnight hours.

Then there's 4 low res channels that show mostly UK content and mainly exist to advertise their subscription services

In hindsight it would have been nice if Channel 4 HD had shown here during their spat with Freesat. Ah well.

There used to be 69 channels reserved for Television on three bands. How much of the country could you cover with a single mux T2 VHF channel ?

Should anyone want to broadcast via Saorview there's still plenty of spare capacity over the two DVB-T multiplexes even for HD.

Looking at the stats for the 2 muxes just now there appears to be very little spare capacity, approx. 1 Mbps on each mux, not enough to bump up an existing channel to HD

if you take a look at the digitalbitrate.com website you'll see that at present there are 28 DVB-T multiplexes serving Milan and 26 in Rome! (One RAI mux in VHF Band III, the rest in the UHF bands)

Italy is a mess when it comes to broadcasting spectrum, causing lots of issues for its neighbours in their attempts to clear the 700MHz band, Malta and Croatia come to mind, interference from masts in Italy using frequencies allocated to their neighbours. The EU's RSPG "Good Offices" procedure offers bilateral assistance between the parties involved but resolution of issues happens slowly

When VM bought the TV3 ground I figured that was the end of any HD channels on Saorview. I was hoping that changes would be made then.

RTE1 1920×1080i, RTE2 1920×1080i,

RTE3/Jr 1440×1080i, TG4 1440×1080i,

All others 720×576. If room is allowed.

Now with the addition of RTE2+1 and Sky News, spare capacity is scarce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Shilock

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Adding additional video streams to the current Saorview platform is not so much about the raw bit rate currently available but more about the perceptive video quality of each channel that is/would be available. 2RN are very conservatively set up for the bitrate they allocate for their SD channels - The Dublin digitalbitrate.com receiver (at https://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=PSB-MUX-2&liste=2&live=15&lang=en ) shows that some SD streams are averaging up to 3Mb/s video for a 544x576 resolution, so the pictures might be soft looking but they very rarely suffer from marco blocking. This is compared to an average video bitrate of around 2.5-2.7Mb/s for a 720x576 resolution video stream on the RNI_1 mux in NI, or around 1-1.3Mb/s for the two (MPEG4) SD channels on the UK PSB3 multiplex that have a 544x576 resolution themselves. At my own rough calculations, you could likely get either one new HD or three new SD streams on each 2RN multiplex (especially if you eliminate the Saorview info channel & 2rn testcard, which are taking up very little bitrate themselves) and the perceptual loss of quality to the current channels on the platform would likely be minimal with most viewers not noticing.

And yes, Italy is definitely a place where there seems to be very little regulation of broadcast spectrum (as is Spain to a lesser extent). However, if the current channel offerings are to be maintained after their 700 MHz clearance then they'll have to upgrade to newer generation technology - RAI and Mediaset will likely no longer have 4-5 multiplexes each for them to play about with by this time next year.

Capt'n Midnight - we can all talk about the current state of what's available on the Saorview platform (though the bit about Channel 4's a red herring - Freesat isn't aimed at viewers in ROI, plus the HD channel on satellite only currently carries advertising for the London region, not to mention there is no Irish HD version at present), but there's not the many of us can do much about it. Saorview is only a primary viewing platform for a small percentage of households in the state and so terrestrial television broadcasting doesn't hold the same political weight as it does in say the UK or France. I've said for a long time now that one thing that hinders more channels potentially appearing on digital terrestrial in the Republic (other than the structure of its present costs) is that there is just a single broadcasting "layer" where both multiplexes are available from all 64 sites - a multiplex that was only available from around a quarter of the sites but would otherwise cover approx 85-90% of the population, similar to that of the commercial multiplexes in the UK, might be more viable in terms of cost to potential broadcasters. Finally, if energy costs of the current Saorview platform are or become an issue, there's a quite simple solution - reconfigure the present multiplexes to have their FEC changed from 2/3 to 1/2 while in parallel reduce the ERP by 3db. This would reduce the current net bitrate of each multiplex from 24.1Mb/s to 18.1Mb/s while the required SNR for reception of each multiplex falls, depending on the method calculated, by 3-4db. Compared to a single DVB-T2 multiplex in VHF Band III which (assuming other than the 7MHz bandwidth is equal to the configuration of the PSB3 mux in the UK, a fair comparison as the current two 2RN multiplexes are configured the same as the PSB1 & 2 multiplexes in the UK) gives a net data rate of 35.2Mb/s - the above 3db power reduction & FEC change gives 36.2Mb/s capacity and involves no equipment changes (new receivers or STBs needing to be added, new VHF aerials at TX & RX sites etc.) except possibly a retune for some receivers, and should result in no loss of present terrestrial coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 doughnut2000

The bitrates used on Saorview seem to be very high.

Post edited by doughnut2000 on

I seem to remember that all Saorview approved receivers are supposed to be T2 compatible apart from the original set top boxes ?

Jan 2022 Saorview Tariffs https://about.rte.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/RTE-Saorview-Wholesale-Access-Reference-Offer-Appendix-B-01-Jan-2022.pdf

SD channels can be between 0.8 and 8.0 Mbps , HD 2.0 to 9.0 Mbps and sample charges would be

HD channels at an average of 6,130 kbps €1,500,000 per year

SD channels at an average of 2,530kbps €619,000 per year

So a state owned company would have to pay a state owned company less than a million which would cover the zero extra costs of getting TG4 in HD on Saorview.

RTE Jr, is now broadcasting on ch.17 as well as ch.7, so just wondering what's coming up? if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Channel 17 would fall into the entertainment category I think, so I can't think of anything that might launch there. I was hoping some more news channels might launch, but they would be in the 20's. I guess it's just a bit of messing around by the tech guys in Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Given that it's exactly ten channels up from the original, then that would point to a +1 version of RTE Junior.

Alternatively, RTE Junior may be moving to clear the way for a new channel in the general entertainment section. But picking the number 17 as a replacement seems a bit random.

Either way, the fact that it is immediately viewable as opposed to hidden, points to a fairly quick change may be about to take place, assuming it's not a technical error.

LCN 11-20 are reserved for time-shift channels which would point to an RTEjr +1, but why?

It wouldn't surprise me if an RTE3 would be rattling around in their heads, the whole thing seems a little odd.

So we have Virgin Media Four launching on Saorview ch.7 on the 24/08/22 which explains why RTE Jr. moved to ch.17.

• Advertisement

Post deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Are VM in HD yet? Considering that they're buying a lot of sports rights lately they should be

No they are not and there's hardly enough room to carry on any of the two multiplexers for HD content. Too many SD and not enough HD, shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,235 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

All so they can show yet more repeats of crappy game shows. Having a third VM channel was a joke never mind launching a fourth.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

This topic still annoys me as much as ever, even more so now as the all the BBC1 regional variants, plus BBC Alba and BBC Parliament will move to HD only on satellite, plus ITV 2, 3 and 4 HD also now being FTA. VM1 should be in HD on Saorview and TG4 even more so. Whats stopping TG4 going HD on Saorview I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Regarding TG4 and VM One it's down to cost. Broadcasting costs more on DTT rather than on Satellite

The government would have to give TG4 more money to pay another semi-state for the ZERO extra costs of transmission.

The problem is that TV3 demanded it shouldn't have to pay for the electricity needed to transmit it's signal.

This could have been solved by having a non-commercial multiplex (RTE/TG4) and a commercial one (VM/Sky) with the costs shared by the users of each.

Instead the non-commercial stations have to subsidise the existence of the second multiplex.

All the main Italian state and private channels already moved to HD only.

TG4 should be in HD on SaorSat but aren't https://www.lyngsat.com/Eutelsat-Ka-Sat-9A.html

If Saorsat is cheaper than Saorview then we'll use the satellite option, VM1 and TG4 should of course be in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Schorpio

TG4 seems to be broadcasting in HD on Saorview this morning. My H7S is reporting a resolution of 1440x1080.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Advertisement