Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me decide on what job to take

Options
  • 28-05-2022 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm currently on contract with a few weeks left. I'm panicking as I need a job to pay rent, bills and food. I'd even take a minimum wage job as I can just about survive but won't be able to afford anything fancy.

I have had two interviews this week and waiting to hear back. And I'm just thinking of what to do if I get offered work.

Both jobs has got the same pay of €11 euro an hour, which isn't a whole lot.

One job requires me to be available for different shifts, morning, afternoon, evenings, weekends and bank holidays. With this job, it will be hard to take up a second part-time job if I need to because of the different shifts. But it is in a good company.

The second job will have overtime involved, so it would be easier to get more money. I don't know anything more about the company but checking their Facebook page, they seem decent.

With the cost of everything going up, I need money more than anything.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If there is overtime on offer it is closer to a sure thing than trying to find a second job…

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

Stay on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BagsOfGold

I'm not on the dole. And can you explain to me how I'm meant to survive on €208 a week please? My rent is €200 a week alone and won't get enough of a handout to help pay rent if I claim social welfare?. I done calculations for a minimum wage job and once I get rent paid and save €50 euro a week for electricity, I can probably just about manage on €130 a week for food/toiletries/bus/phone credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,707 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Take whichever job you get offered.

I'm after finishing my second interview. And I know more about the position. It is day shift hours. There might be overtime depending on the work.

So even if there isn't overtime. I can take up extra work in the evenings. But what for? For extra money. But then my life.. which I won't be living with two jobs. But then I won't be living with one job either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Could you look to do some online training or a course to build your skills? I know there are free courses that could maybe help long term for a better paid position? Is there an option to train and be promoted within either job? Best of luck OP, tough going.

Yes, there is an option for growth in the second job as the company is only expanding now. So that is something... And with day shift hours, I can maybe do an evening course as well.

The first job is just a mix of everything that it will be hard to make any kind of plans for outside of work.

I might not even get any offer yet. But there's no harm in thinking things through, just in case.

Advertisement