Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Only the scruffy looking herders

• Registered Users Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Only a few hours to go

• Registered Users Posts: 81,759 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It’s live

T'was glorius. Spoiler without context:

Post edited by Overheal on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Right...

I must stay out of here until i see it !!!

"Hello There"

Also , If anyone would like the chance to win some "merch" .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 60,320 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well those two episodes were great fun and maybe the best thing done since the original trilogy for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,874 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very enjoyable first episode.

Sets things up well.

The little girl is really good which helps.

RIP Lola :( let's hope it gets fixed.

Benny Safdie didn't last long!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Characters do this do that, go here go there, basic storytelling. It's neither very good nor very bad.

Moments of cringe with nobody including obi wan being able to catch a toddler. The sisters gang is predictably a huge plot contrivance. Like how did they get that far if they are constantly bickering with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭corkie

Surprised no one started a thread or two on the Star Wars forums?

HomeTopicsEntertainmentSci-Fi & FantasyStar Wars

Below contains breakdown of the 1st episode, 2nd not published yet. Spoilers galore.

I enjoyed the Part 1, and now watching Part 2 while typing.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Niche fora are by and large dead these days, bar a few exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Amenhotep

Awful.

The political analogies were cringeworthy ... the mary sue Leah that grown adults can't catch ... and she's a smart smart kid too , outwitting Kenobi.

God Disney has murdered SW, I should be happy that they did a good job on the Mandalorian at least..

And the only decent bad guy is killed off immediately !! ...

• Advertisement

It’s a bit more than that. Obi is broken entirely unconfident in his abilities, hasn’t really trained or even used the force in almost a decade. On the run, in hiding, with a naive quick witted little person with the ability to roast people who won’t shut up and who obi wouldn’t hurt a hair on her head. A 10 year old is no Toddler (ages 1-3 typ). Frankly I think it’s adorable and makes it a bit sweeter that she basically falls for han and loses her ability to savage him other than to call him a scruffy looking…. Nerf herder! “Who are you calling scruffy?” Interesting character arc choice

The grand inquisitor makes plenty of his own presence in Star Wars: Rebels. The rebellious sister is newer. The Inquisitors were probably most menacing in their prime, after order 66, and have gotten slower about their jobs since, the deeper that Jedi go into hiding. And her rebel streak seems specific to Kenobi only, I imagine they’re more effective than this on a Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That was....fine?

The only real issues I have with it is the actress playing the 3rd Sister. She's rubbish. And how, exactly, would she know that Anakin is Vader? That better get tied up later on.

I think she's great really; how she knows either of them is an open question, but presumably related to the prologue/flashback scene we got. All I could say is there was one very weird jump/roll she did but that's not the actress, that's the crew & director.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I reckon she was one of the younglings from the opening scene. Presumably she saw Anakin committing all the murders, feels betrayed by the "great Jedi Knight" Obi-Wan and was taken in to be trained as an inquisitor.

Personally I don't think she's supposed to be likable in any way, she's an Inquisitor after all and it's clear the other Inquisitors don't like her. She brash and impulsive, arrogant.

@Overheal All I could say is there was one very weird jump/roll she did but that's not the actress, that's the crew & director.

Reva starts leaping over buildings, as Obi-Wan goes after Leia and the various bounty hunters continue their pursuit. Reva’s movements and the fact that she’s on a rooftop is reminiscent of the introductory scene in the first “Matrix” where Trinity’s powers are being revealed. Maybe not reminiscent. It’s an exact copy.

I got the 'Matrix' vibe when watching, glad to see I wasn't the only one.

https://youtu.be/cSf98VAu8fk?t=58

Compared to https://youtu.be/fbmCFTXdF-o?t=28

Post edited by corkie on

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

She's 100% one of the younglings at the beginning that possibly witnessed Anakin running amok. She also could have saw the recording that Kenobi saw in RotS that shows Anakin giving fealty to Palpatine, and that was clearly referenced in the recap.

It's a decent start, but not great. The first episode was paced pretty well. Then we're back to these inconsistent runtimes that Lucasfilm love so much with the second, and that felt like it accelerated proceedings a little too quickly.

I was half expecting the homeless clone to call him "General", but that would raise questions about whether their inhibitor chips are always on after activation.

I didn't want to do any gushing/spoiling much in my posts but aye, Debrah Chow made planet 2 feel like an Anime, even from the establishing shots, the landing pads they scene fade in from looked to me almost like an older painting compositing - Star Wars is an old hand at using painted backgrounds, and I got really strong Akira vibes from that shot (On Disney+ go to Episode 2, at 2:13:00).

I'm still just in love with your guy at 16:46. I was so ready for anywhere the story wanted to take me at that exact moment.

Oh, and props to Ewan McGregor's portrayal of PTSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Probably is one of the kids at the beginning or at least part of that training group.

It's not that she has to be likeable. I was just irked by some of what she was doing and how she was doing it. It was just too "try hard". I felt she was the weakest thing about it so far.

@Overheal I edited my post an used spoilers, maybe you could delete your quote of my post?

As there is a spoiler warning, I didn't think to put my quote in spoilers. Sorry to anyone reading getting this far in the thread.

Also didn't think it spoiled anything of the plot.

With Joby Harold also involved, no wonder people are getting 'John Wick' vibes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Just watched episode 1.

The black chick is the worst actor I've ever had the pleasure to witness. Pure shite. So shite I don't even know her name.

Other than that very enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

Kid Leia can outrun 3 grown adult hunters and a Jedi twice, even though she runs at the pace of a full nappy kid...hmmm

I got a mandalorian vibe from this, just swap characters and location and it feels the exact same basically, even the same director. High hopes have been dashed. A very middling 2 episodes.

Just to add, enjoyed the mandalorian a lot but I don't want to see the same plot/story repeated here.

1:

Me as the episode ended: wow that was a good episode... but why was it a good episode

Episode credits: Directed by Deborah Chow

Me: Oh yeah, that'll do it!

Oh that was a clever plan by Third Sister and the episode was so well put together to reveal it to the audience.

Lots of early build up and reveal combos. Like Third Sister explaining the Jedi nature followed up by Kenobis falling for the trap. Also Kenobi telling the Jedi to bury his Sabre followed up by he himself digging up his own one.

Leia is sooo tiny!

Just checked the wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obi-Wan_Kenobi_(TV_series)

Mostly a mix of the same writers throughout. Plus Deborah Chow directing all episodes! All bodes well.

Final pro: No vespa bikes! (yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

2: OK! That was cool!

Wow! Ewan McGregors face! What a scene!

Grand Inquisitor dead.. from a sabre.. on a mission to capture Kenobi.. no way that doesn't bring Vader out.

All seems in good hands with Director Deborah Chow

• Registered Users Posts: 17,749 ✭✭✭✭bilston

1st episode was quite slow, but it set things up.

The 2nd episode obviously had a bit more action and I enjoyed it.

The last scene made me a happy middle aged man!

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

Very enjoyable, the kid playing Leia is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭KilOit

Garbage, woeful acting and laughable special effects. Kids show.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Hmm......that was not very good at all was it. Not quite Boba Fett awful, but massive improvement required.

Some broadly enjoyable scenes, with McGregor as watchable as Obi-Wan as ever, but a generally weak showing all round with near everything else. Absolutely zero menace or threat from the main villain, with even her tone and delivery akin to the very worst of "new Star Wars", full "Disney Princess" mode engaged with Leia (who appears to be aged between 4-12 years old for some reason depending on the scene) which got old quite quickly, so I'd hope she's not in tow much beyond, and while there's obviously a feel of the prequels which is fine, there's an awful whiff of 'Solo' from it's ill-judged humour to it's formulaic narrative. The entire inclusion of Kumail Nanjiani, the weak movement CG etc

As said, most of McGregor was fine as expected. Distanced from the Force and his previous life (albeit supposedly using his exile to commune with Qui-Gon which doesn't quite align to said removal from his old life, but let's not go there just yet). Luke's toy. His reaction to hearing of Anakin's survival (albeit surely you'd expect he was aware of Darth Vader's existence at some point over the previous 10 years considering the overall threat to his charge, but let's not go there.......let that one slide for now......after all, the far bigger issue of their confrontation is the real meat in this sandwich). The wino-Clonetrooper was a nice little touch for those familiar with the Prequels. The shaky cam use with the Jedi Temple flashback etc

Some positives, but clumsy decisions and poor execution drags it back to fairly middling for now. The hope is there that things will improve, but we shall see.

Post edited by McDermotX on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Only watched the first episode. Fairly ropey. The CGI is really poor, which is surprising given the usually superb quality in the shows. Honestly found myself wondering was it a stylistic choice to mirror the flat backgrounds in the prequels. It’s probably just development through whatever stage of covid they were working through. Alderaan in particular was yikes.

Advertisement