Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Obi Wan Kenobi - Disney+ (may contain spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just watched the first episode. It was fine, better than Boba Fett already though that was hardly an especially high bar. But this is, and will be, just another prequel or sorts so will always suffer from that small sense of redundancy. The Mandalorian always kept me guessing - this won't.

Leia was a nice surprise, and while her smart mouth initially gratted, I remembered the adult in New Hope had a lot of sass.

Props to Ewen McGregor though; he really came at the role as someone suffering from PTSD, and there was a lot of silent acting that sold a great deal. He looked exhausted, beaten. Does remind one that the prequels completely misused its talented cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,632 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

maybe this is a show that won’t please everyone, but so far I like it.

i feel like Reva yelling at a ship taking off wasn’t that effective though. Girl, he can’t hear you anymore, the doors closed and they’re off.

looking forward to see the Click - the aha moment that connects why she enters the Star Wars universe with a hardon for catching Kenobi. I’m starting to think she can’t be the girl from the temple bc the ages don’t make sense- a child joined the inquisitorious to chase Kenobi for 10 years? Or did she join them recently, and theyve been searching for him. This isn’t cleared up yet imo. Just a scolding from 5th brother telling her to give up he’s been hiding for a decade etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Oh yeah! Oh no! That's gonna mean some big Dark Side stuff coming up! and Deborah Chow doing it! 😲

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just watched the first 2 there now.

Love Leia already. As Obi Wan says at one point, very like her (real) mother. That said, I liked the 2 elder Organas too.

Yer one the Sister is awful though! Like seriously bad! Everything that's wrong with the diverse strong female character trope of modern TV/culture. Agree with the Matrix vibes from her running on the rooftops but seemed very clumsily done vs that movie?

Obi is still awesome to be fair. Enjoyed the repeated sequence of his ordinary day - reminded me of Bob Odenkirk (of Better Call Saul fame) in Nobody (awesome film if ye haven't seen it yet)

Don't think I'd rate it as well as Mando so far but a massive improvement from Boba anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,283 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Disney will be adding a warning to this due to the due to similarities to Texas school shooting and  Jedi school massacre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,141 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I didn't think was much use myself. But, jesus, she wasn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ironically enough, the opening montage of the prequels actually made them look much, much, better than they actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,557 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That first episode was just tedious so dull and so hard to get through. I guess I have been Spoiled by the excellent Star Trek S.N.W. Who wants to see a washed up depressed man travelling on a barge 4 times in a row? So dull. It was the worst ever Star Wars anything.

The second episode was not much better. Ye because 10 year old Leia can outrun all these inquisitors and Obi One. Ye right.

Alderann did look beautiful do. Terrible to think it gets blown to pieces later on.

Ye a

Unless this series improves I see it being a big flop.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Had meant to say same; the montage had me thinking "jeez, when it's neatly combined like that, the prequels look awesome!' while watching... amazing what good editing can do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

First episode was strong, second episode was a lot better. Ewan McGregor excellent as you would expect.

I saw the AV Club point out that Leia meeting Obi -Wan as a child maybe conflicts with the message she sent in A New Hope, don't think it's that big a deal myself, but I think it's something they need to be careful of, especially if they want to use Vadar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Better be a decent pay off for the 3rd sister as right now she seems like just a badly conceived character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

I don't see it conflicting. The message starts off very formal and official, but at the end she says "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope" in a very personable, sincere voice. It's a plea for help for everyone, but also from her. There's also Obi-Wan's decision to go to Alderaan straight after seeing the message. She never says her name, or her fathers name, but he knows who she is and why it's important to help her.

He also only introduced himself to her as Ben not Ben Kenobi and Leia didn't see an old Ben in A New Hope so yeah so far I don't see a conflict myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

If Star Wars to date is anything to go by, I wouldn't grow attached to any of the Dark Side characters

Reva already reeks of redemption, then death by Vaders hand. She reminds me of Trilla from Jedi: Fallen Order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Only watched the first episode so far, some of that was really bad. Genuinely felt like one of those fake fan made youtube trailers at times.

I want to love this, so hopefully it will improve. But not a good start. I mean that scence of the lads chasing young Leia... :facepalm:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Disney getting their hands on star wars was a disaster.

George Lucas keeping in his own hands was also a diaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Yeah, he wasn't great either. A couple of mature storylines wouldn't go amiss

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JSNNSJ

After seeing and hearing lots of reviews and being told by friends that the show is possible one of the best Star Wars series yet, I'll have to give it a watch tonight to see how through those rumors are. Kenobi is my favorite character of the Star Wars franchise ever since I was a child, very happy to see Ewan get his own solo series and get the recognition he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

They had a chance to make a great Star Wars universe till Lucas decannoned the Expanded Universe.

When Disney bought the IP that is where there should have gone with the expanded universe and left the movie universe as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought the first two episodes were good - not astounding but a lot of fun and Ewan is good, the young Leia is alright as well.

A lot better than Boba Fett. The chase scene in the forest though was painfully cheesy.

I don't know what the hell Disney are playing at with quality control though in the overall sense, everything they've made since taking over the brand has been ridiculously inconsistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Huh? Disney decannoned the EU in 2014

There's no source material. We don't have comic books. We don't have 800 page novels - Kathleen Kennedy.

Emo is correct. Disney Star Wars has been a disaster.

Lucas never considered the EU as canon. Disney just doubled down on it.

Another annoyance is the common Disney trope of the disillusioned Jedi who turns his back on the ways of the force.

Its not believable for Ben to be a mopey ex-Jedi because he is tasked with looking over young Luke. What good is he if he is no longer any good in a combat situation.

We also see him attempting to communicate with Liam Nesson which would require him to use force powers. On top of that it didn't take too much convincing from Smiths for him to lead an off-planet rescue mission. It makes no sense at all why he would abandon the ways of the force. Its just more journeyman level writing from Disney.

• Advertisement

They pulled some items from the Extended Universe, like Admiral Thrawn, into the main canon but IIRC most of the old novels, games and spin offs (especially those charting the original film's characters) were consigned into an umbrella of "Legends". That's my understanding anyway. For sure all those post-Jedi stories of the New Republic and Imperial Remnant (which was a vastly better idea than what we got with the First Order bollix). Doubt we'll ever see the Yuuzhan Vong though!

Advertisement