Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rim brake road bikes becoming rare

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Yeah, brake blokes are key. I notice a much bigger performance difference as between crap blocks v. swisstop yellow than as between rim and disc.

From experience, the average leisure cyclist's descending skills are pretty poor too. Braking and line choice etc. But 'disc brakes' is sold as a ready-made solution.

I'm happy to have them on my CX and MTB bikes, but love the simplicity, reliability, and aesthetics of rim on road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Quote from the rider - he likened them to “giant machetes,” adding, “I’ve been lucky: I didn’t get my leg chopped off, it’s just some muscle and skin. But can you imagine that disc cutting a jugular or a femoral vein? I would prefer not to.” - hysteria.

The funny thing was it was his left leg got cut and he claimed he rubbed his leg on his opponent's rotor while they were riding which was odd given that the rotor is on the left hand side of the bike so this couldn't possibly have happened unless he unclipped and slung his leg over his opponents back wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

My bike has rim breaks. Does that mean I’m officially old school now?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

You are going to have an accident as they are obsolete and wont work any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭oinkely

Jaysus, I'm rightly feiced so - rim brakes, alu frame, 9 speed durace. A triple whammy of obsolescence!

Have no experience of discs on road bikes - but have never found any real issue with rim brakes on road. One very wet morning going to work on a rim brake mtb with xtr v brakes i did have a little trouble heading down through bray town. Pulled over and added a few turns to the cable barrel adjuster and was grand again. To be fair i did look briefly at changing for a disc brake bike but figured the spend wasn't worth it, and most likely the divorce from an extra bike would be far more traumatic so moderated my riding on really wet days to take into account the vagaries of rim brakes.

• Advertisement

I've bought a set of SwissStop Flashpro BXP (neither green nor yellow flash are still made, yellow king seems to primarily be for carbon).

If they end up being significantly better than what they have on them, I'll send you a thank you PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭ARX

I have a set of those that I still haven't fitted, thanks for the reminder 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

They're blue now I think? I think the older green ones were the ones that worked well in the wet. Now I think it's just alloy pads, don't remember a distinction for wet braking. Big upgrade over 105 pads in my opinion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a spinal tap sequal happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dork disk still on in the OP. Should be a permaban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FlatToTheSquareRight

Started cycling during lockdown myself, never ridden rim but seeing the prices of second hand bikes I'm tempted to switch. I've been racing a 105-spec disc brake bike and for a similar used value bike I'd be looking at a bike 1-1.5kg lighter. How much difference in braking performance will I notice, given that I'll use it exclusively in the dry though on carbon pads/rims?

I have the inverse question - I've never ridden a disc road bike and I'm wondering what the advantage would be in the dry (I generally don't go out in the rain other than commuting or shopping). People talk about better modulation and wet performance etc, but in the dry do you get shorter stopping distances, or what is the benefit over a well-maintained rim brake bike?

I'm (ahem) somewhat north of 80kg and can hit 60 km/h going down Killiney Hill and I've never had any problems braking at the end or if I have a stopped car in front of me. What would discs do for me in that situation? If someone ran out in front of me from Killiney Hill Park, would disc brakes make a big difference there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭fat bloke

They would definitely be better, I mean if they weren't then what the hell would the entire endeavour have been about at all. That's their undeniable upside. But the downsides imo of increase in weight, expense, maintenance complexity and, for the want of a better word, apparent finickiness lead me to want to stick with rim brakes.

As well as the fact that, like yourself, I don't have an issue with the braking performance of my run braked bike. If disc brakes are excellent at braking then I would say rim brakes are very good. Very good ifms good enough for me.

Then there's the aesthetic aspect to it.

Look, to each his own is what I say, buy what you like and all that. What really irks me is being forced to buy a disc braked bike through the industry's strong-arming obscelescence of rim bikes/frames/wheels.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's always been obselence in the industry though. It's not just with rim brakes/disc brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

While I'm not a big fan of disc brakes and am a rim brake purist, I'd agree with Weepsie about obsolescence in the industry. People probably said the same thing about handlebar shifting, clipless pedals, non-quill stems etc when they first came about. Added cost, complexity, weight, and maintenance for objectively small performance benefits, and I would never go back to any of those things now. Saying that I won't be changing to discs until I'm forced to and will be holding onto rim brakes until Shimano pry them from my cold lifeless hands.

Well, it's the "better" part I'm trying to understand. Are they "better" in that they do the same as a rim brake but with one finger rather than a whole hand, or are they "better" in that they bring you to a stop a metre before the car that pulled out rather than two metres after it?

Anyway, I just ordered a rim brake Canyon Endurace so I'll be flying the RB flag for a while (by my overdeveloped forearms ye shall know me). 400 quid cheaper and 740g lighter than the same bike with discs. I was actually going to get the carbon disc model, but that's not available until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Main advantages of discs I find (in order):

• Better braking on wet roads (esp vs carbon & rim combo)
    • Can fit wider tyres
    • No wear on rims

Main advantages of rim (in order):

• No bloody noise (I really hate how finicky road disc set up is to avoid rub and/or squealing)
    • Lighter
    • Simpler

I think the above pro’s and con’s have a different ‘value’ to everyone and if you’re running aluminium rims or carbon rims the relative advantages/disadvantages weigh differently.

I love the extra stopping power of discs and all day comfort of wider tyres on that set up. I also love the lightness and simplicity of rim brake bike which just feels faster.

Would be great if industry kept both options alive but I think rim brakes are on the way out. If shimano can sort the disc noise issues (which I think is to too low clearance between pads and also potentially frames holes not being exactly square) then I would be happy to go all in with them. I expect that the weight issues will be sorted on another couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Iv got both, definitely feel like my hands work much harder on the rim breaks, the difference between them is huge, but ultimately they both work just with different ways of riding them. I've had a few moments now where I'm bopping along and iv forgotten what bike I'm on and iv had barely enough time to brake in time. The rim breaks are tuned wicked tight as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

As someone with both (and several different disc bikes at this stage) - I'd fully agree with this as a summary. I've got a 5k bike with disc brakes and when it works everything is great but I've had to adjust the front brake far too many times to stop it rubbing. I'm considering trying a new caliper even.

On the other hand I've a bike I bought second hand nearly new with rim brakes for about 850 which is lighter and on a dry day, just as good in almost every way (aside from only taking 25mm tires)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies. Based on those, I'm happy enough that I went for the rim brake version of the Endurace. Perhaps it'll be my last rim brake bike ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the biggest issue i had with disc brakes was specific to a set of BBB branded pads which got contaminated way too easily, and then which i couldn't decontaminate; in the wet they were effectively useless. they weren't even squealing, they were so bad, and the bike felt dangerous to cycle. didn't have that issue with any other pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Yeah it's often game over if the pads get contaminated however if you hold them with a pliers over a blue gas flame for about 20 seconds it will burn off any contaminants and then give them a quick sand in a circular motion they can be as good as new.

I just hate disc now the longer ive reverted back to rim. I look in awe at the 105 logo on my rim brakes on the canyon. Simple, tidy, neat and stunning looking. They dont squeal or make noise and are aesthetically better looking than two saucer plates in the centre of my wheels.

that was my point. i couldn't rescue those particular ones, have cleaned other brake pads before with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Even within rim brakes, with the move from 126mm standard spacing to 130mm!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You can stretch and squeeze steel frames, despite what youtube will tell you about a protracted process, I forced it, and it fit (and worked). Bring back steel bikes, say no to carbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Was briefly tempted recently to look at switching to a gravel or road bike with disks mainly so I could fit wider tyres for very occasional off-road sorties. After a bit of research (and common sense) I decided on new wheels instead that would be of benefit on 98% of my spins. A clubmate was selling a little used pair of Ksyrium Pro Exaliths and they were exactly what I was looking for - lighter and stiffer than my Ksyrium Elites, much improved breaking especially in the wet and a slight whistling sound that could annoy you but I like! I recently put them to the test going up and down some fantastic roads in the Julian Alps (Slovenian/Italian border) and they were superb.

It ocurred to me that there must be a lot of high-quality "good wheels" hanging in sheds after people have switched to disk bikes and sold on their non-disk bikes with stock wheels. Getting your hands on them might be a problem but there should be some finding their way onto Adverts at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,212 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

One benefit to discs is not having an ugly braking surface on rim brakes. I ordered a SwissStop cleaning pad which loons like some sort of sandpaper eraser block which will apparently make it look like new. We'll see...

Advertisement