Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Wait till the food shortage and astronomical food prices kick in that may cause the start of the unrest, time some power went back to the people, I for one would march. I'm not sure if it was Churchill who said society is only 9 meals away from anarchy.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

The goverment are centainly spending like they dont believe a recession is coming, driving up inflation, booking out the hotels, HAP payments on rent, outbidding first time buyers, money from the magic tree. It will be great to see it all come to an end

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

It'll be a case of spontaneity for marching. Something somewhere in the zeitgeist will give, probably out of the blue, and that will be the snapping point.

There's no point marching unless you have a point.

For all the controversy and disbelief it would initially cause, the main problem in this country is that there are too many people. It is intrinsically and fundamentally connected to housing scarcity and cost, suppressed wages and unaffordability, social immobility, school places, hospital care, you name it. A pyramid has been purposefully constructed over the last decade and it needs to be dismantled. There is no other option, tasteful or not. Blame the people who created it.

People need to leave, and the people with their own country to return to are top of the list.

Migration has been the fuel of this unsustainable path, and it's like removing oxygen from a fire. It cannot continue if that element is removed.

Controversy or not, predictable insinuations or not, sustainability is the future.

What shortage of food you are talking about ? Thanks to sankcions against Russia in 2014 Russian agro export today are on second place after gas and oil ! Because Russia started invest to own farming industry 8 years ago. Ukraine are huge wheat exporter what is true but unfortunately 2 thirds will be grow in Donbas and will be in Putin and allies hands! And will be sold in Asia and Africa by Putin creating more allies for Putin.Yes Boris Johnson and Brussels ,... will be kicked of but if they play smart that's is them problem.Shortage of oil and gas wheat and fertilizer in Ireland and big prices ? Who fault that Dublin toghether with Brussel banned russian ships from entering Dublin port ? Recession ? The EU created recession them self's jumping under US rap and saying No to cheaper gas from Russia because US want sell own gas in Europe ! Which is more expensive but who cares ? There will be no shortage of anything ! There will only shortage in UK and EU politicians pockets !The same as shortage in them empty heads !And please don't start telling that is the Putin fault because he invaded Ukraine.You don't know what is really going on there and why this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Another Putinbot. The sanctions will be worth it in the long term if we can damage Russia. You might find Russia will be having a few problems servicing aircraft and unfortunately you can't dig the parts up or throw a few seeds in the ground to grow them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

We have northing to worry about, Leo said yesterday we wouldn't be going into recession

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Getting in on the Irish housing market will still reap benefits should it be looked into. However, it is tough to find the specific markets to bet against that a basic trading app will enable you access.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ericfartman

I'm seeing in a lot of companies folks where redundancy is been offered to more and more people and there downsizing teams and joining up divisions. The current cost of living isn't sustainable.

From running advanced calculations It will happen around May to September 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's funny seeing politicians etc say Irelands economy is resilient and can withstand global issues.

Irelands economy is reliant on american MNCs. When the American MNCs are going on cost cutting measures, they'll cut staff and they'll cut staff in the high cost locations such as Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The consensus in the us is that they might avoid a recession, so it's possible the Fed engineer a soft landing, here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭hayse

Leo isn’t worried about anyone outside of the red cow roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭chuchuchu

This was always the weakness with Ireland, now the tech companies are taking a hit on the stock market, so lets see how it plays out

From my side we started cutting our family budget.We stopped shopping traveling on weekends buy food on expensive spots I started bring food for breaks to work from home same as my work mates.Before we had 1 microwave in canteen now 3.No more pubs no more restaurants and I started work overtime at work as much as possible trying create reserve for heating at winter time because heating oil will cost me 600 per month when before its cost me only 300 and because any day at work could be my last day.On weekends now I cut fire wood because bringing pallets from work every day.Before we had plenty pallets of my work place back yard now none because many guys bought stoves and everybody hunting for them.We will not travel for Holliday this Summer.I found less people shopping at Tesco and Dunnes than in Lidl or Aldi.Also I found more empty spaces on shelves in a shops except Lidl and Aldi for sure.I wouldn't say we have less quality life we still buy food which we like just we started buy less and look at prices more often we also stopped throw food out because we buy how much we need.We also canceled Disney subscription and left Netflix only.No new car this and next year for sure.So we have great family life at home barbeques at evenings or weekends more reading more DIY and more walk.This year and next will be very bad as I see by signs around but one thing I sure there will no recession for Leo same as wasn't for Bertie.There will be huge amount of money taken out of economy when many people as us will start cut budgets and spend bigger money on bills what will hit many businesses badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Your "rant" as you call it is based on your reality and it's a reality that's shared by a great many people. I have numerous acquaintances who are in their late 20's and 30's and they're at a complete loss as to how they're going to be in their future and they're all in decent jobs to boot. None of them have any hope of buying a house. They've simply put that to the back of their minds out of necessity. I know people in their 40's that are forced to house share with a bunch strangers. Fucking house share...in their middle age. We have fucked things up royally...AGAIN...in this arse of a country because we are beholden to a strand of neo-lib politics that can only see boom and bust.

We've lost the run of ourselves and it looks like we are going to pay for it every 10 or 15 years until we abandon this silly "endless growth" fallacy that lies to us and says that every year has to be more profitable than the last and we need to stop allowing things to get out of control so badly.

As for "staff shortages"...maybe pay staff a decent bloody wage that makes it worth their while doing the shitty job in the first place and you mightn't have "staff shortages". They're really going to try and exploit the desperation of poor Ukrainian refugees for their cheap labour wants.

Cunts.

*Now that's a rant 😁

Who is saying this?

Markets certainly don't think a soft landing is coming. Most companies cutting earning forecasts for the rest of the year and stocks tanking.

I know for a fact that there are multi nationals looking at their costs right now looking for cost cutting measures.

We have seen them announce slowing hiring. Next we'll see hiring freezes. Then we'll see the layoffs. Once the layoffs start, then people will realise the bad times are here and they'll tighten their belts even more as the uncertainty persists.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They oversubscribed to that division because of the pandemic and massive exponential growth in it's use because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah and MS certainly made their money during Covid. Lots of it. Teams is everywhere now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Some big players in the hospitality industry have already targeted Ukrainian workers but the take up was surprisingly poor. They are doing just fine with the free accommodation and benefits. It might change but Ukrainians are not the solution to the staff shortages in hospitality.

Comforting words from Boris

What else he could say ? Once he will open his mouth about reality his rating will below skirting board and people will come on streets as this happened in London in 2010.They all will keep telling lies and blame Putin.

Whatever chance we have of avoiding recession, the UK have no chance. They will have some very tough years ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

It's not a recession that's happening, it's the beginning of something bigger.

You don't have a lung removed due to smoking and think you're going back to the "normal" of smoking again once you're let out of the hospital.

The utter shyte that has brought us to this point was never normal and it's not coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The financial system is about to collapse. The powers that be know it and are causing as much damage in a controlled fashion now so as the shock won't be as great when the collapse does happen.

The powers that be are also trying to lock in their own wealth and security by making the average Joe take the hit.

Interest rates will rise causing defaults on a massive scale.

We are in for a lot worse than a recession in my opinion.

This video sums up in a slightly humorous way some of what has happened.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpwZlw4QseM&t=73s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I dyed the front of my mullet blonde. Picture a Pat Sharpe style mullet but in dark brown with the fringe dyed blonde.

Spectacular and yet at the same time, grounds for incarceration in a psychiatric institution. 🤣

The problem of existing inflation that this is not monetary inflation.This inflation not coming trough money from financial institution this inflation coming from energy sector caused by sanctions against Russia and "green energy ".The prices of gas has been rising from September of 2021 ! Not from end of February of 2022 ! We are Very Lucky at the moment because China stoped own economy due with COVID quarantine what reduced demand of gas in China and prices on market.Once China will move own economy the price of gas and electricity will sky rocketing !So now ECB will bring rates up what will bring mortgage rates up ! From all corners same " experts " songs ECB Must bring rates up otherwise there will be hiper inflation.But look the prices rising not because people has more money ! The prices rising because shortage of gas what bring prices of fertilizer / food and rising prices of electricity up ! So what they gonna do now ? Rising rates what will make mortgages/ rents higher at the moment when people has more to pay for gas electricity food and etc ? Many "experts" says that cause of inflation is printed money ! Does anybody got them ? I didn't and I don't know anybody who got them ! But I know that everyone has to pay double price bills from own savings !The problem that whole economic system is collapsing and doesn't work anymore ! 300 trillions debt is total debt of countries in the world and it's rising ! Default in Lebanon now Shri Lanka next Pakistan and other the only question is who the next.I am pretty sure Ireland will meet Troika soon enough with even worst austerity than before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,084 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'm curious as to how this recession will reveal itself to the general public.

With the help of hindsight we could see how the 2008 recession was going to play out.

Construction supply meets demand, and interest rates rise.

Construction stops, builders unemployed, people serving the building industry unemployed.

Economic growth stops, more unemployment, higher taxes, less tax revenue etc.

But how will it play out this time.

How are going to be the first to start losing jobs ?

What industries will start to shrink ?

How will it have a knock on effect ?

I can imagine that inflation will stop people spending and that will have a knock on effect, of less spending, less turnover for businesses, thus people will be let go, places will close etc.

But will it be chronic, will it not regulate itself in a short period?

Advertisement