Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alternative living in Ireland

• 11-05-2022 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Is there a way to live alternatively in Ireland that doesn't require an existing site? There's a website for Irish mobile homes but a site to put it on is required. Same with an Irish tiny homes website. I've also seen barges but that's not an option. This is all new to me so be glad to hear of anyone's experience etc? TIA!

Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Lots of houses near us have caravans or log cabin type dwellings that the grown kids live in down the back of the garden. As fdar as im aware none of them have planning permission though, but noone bothers them. Some even have nice gardens and hedged off sites around the temporary dwelling.

As long as you dont make it an eyesore i think people wouldnt bother you, but i dont think technically it is legal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Planning permission and utilities is where you will run into problems. All well and easy to buy mobile homes, log cabins, modular tiny homes, etc but you will find it very difficult to get planning permission for something like that and you won't be able to connect to utilities easily either.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

They want people working, spending, paying tax, renting, paying a mortgage.

Anything else you will be treated as an anarchist.

The live aboard barge idea was stopped by waterways Ireland.. came down heavy on boat owners.

I know a guy who lives in a farm shed,... fully wired, plumbed, clear panels on roof and back, invisible from the road, stealthlike.

Inside they have built a homemade house. No planning needed for a farmshed. It means you can't ever sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Unless you declare yourself a 'traveller'.

God forbid anyone living on a boat here, fairly popular in the uk. Squatting was tried here but the law came down heavily on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I might know the same guy :)

Is it a big shed and once you walk in the door there is another door into what looks likie a shed within a shed, but when you walk through that one you think you just walked into a 2 bed house complete with living room and kitchen?

The one I know is truly impressive. Wouldnt mind living in it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,719 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It isn't legal but then again, lots of things our betters get up to aren't legal either only they get away with it in many cases.

It's in aurora , just below the church.. That's all I'm saying.

Yeah, travellers are the untouchables now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

Beckett99, people reputedly live in adapted commercial vans, camper vans & sometimes adapted buses. Is this the kind of thing you’re thinking of? Power & sanitation would be fairly substantial obstacles, I’d think although I suppose an overnight from time to time in a camping facility might help. The biggest issue I’d have thought, aside from the transitory nature of life on the move, would be how to keep warm enough in winter.

Stealth van camping. Look it up on YouTube.

There was a guy posting on this website, answered loads of questions from boardies.

He moves around Dublin, has a few parking spots he overnights at

A non descript white transit van, apartment built inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Beckett99

Thanks everyone for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

In terms of the log cabin in the garden, it will only be investigated if a neighbour makes a complaint. I know someone who works in that department and it will be a year wait before anyone comes out to check it and then just say it's for work and there noting they can do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Entire thread is just going to be suggestions and hints on how to break planning regs, so this is against the charter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement