Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm environmental survey

Options
  • 24-05-2022 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Hi all got a txt this evening about a survey on your farm for habitat and such like .

Did anybody look into it yet

Application to be in by Fri I think

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Apply online through agfood

Paid 200euro

From what I read, it seems to be a dry run of the trainers and systems for whatever env scheme they are planning for 2023

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Be interesting to see how many sign up.

Getting €200 for a "survey" seems too good to be true. And it's hard not to be skeptical with DAFM and their lack of transparency on what's really involved in various schemes.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

I signed up…

But as you say - you’d be sceptical as to what you’re signing up for…

Biggest worry with all these things is if something is spotted during your survey, that had greater implications than the 200euro…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭alps

Who, the inspector is it?

Or should I be inspecting a gang of em - all rambling around each field for a few hours… 😃

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,198 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The next eco scheme will be results based. For any traditional hay meadows the eye in the sky will make sure they are closed by mid April and not harvested before July 1st. As well I imagine that when cut they may check it is left on the ground 2-3 days and tedded out.

Similarly multi species swards and traditional grazing will be results based. Your advisor will now do a yearly check on the farm AFAIK to check that what you are paid for is happening

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think today is the last day to sign up, unless they extend it.

Had a read through the terms and conditions, no. 12 has me saying fook this;

. Administrative and Compliance Checks • All applications will be subjected to administrative checks, and any other controls deemed necessary, before approvals or payments are made under FES. Applicants shall facilitate such administrative and on-the-spot checks as the Department deems necessary. Applications will be cross-checked with records held by the Department. • On-the-spot checks will be carried out at farm level to ensure compliance with project requirements. • Cross checking with relevant databases will take place where appropriate prior to payments issuing. • Any cross-compliance breach noted during an on-farm inspection will be cross-reported to the Basic Payment Unit of the Department. 

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

And that’s before you consider the plain unfairness of it. Farmers are giving their time and data, and opening themselves up for more stress/threat of payment cut - all for the price of 20 small bags of calf nuts.

On the other side, the Dept are getting very valuable data that gives them a baseline for environmental conditions on every farm across the country. Collectively they can then map out counties, regions, river basins, etc. and pinpoint problem cases.

Next, they can present the data to the EC as part of their “responding to climate change” story.

The data can also feed into future schemes and policy. It should, but the Dept aren’t up front about this aspect.

This data is also very valuable to Bord Bia when it comes to “marketing” Ireland Inc. The industry (processors, exporters, Govt tax take, etc) will benefit more than any farmer, or the environment for that matter.

Lastly, if you sign up, is there anything written down to stop this becoming an annual inspection on the farm? Without the €200 - as happened with EID tags for sheep?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement