Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for windows in waterford area

• 19-05-2022 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey guys, so the title pretty much says it all. I'm looking to get my windows replaced in the house while avoiding cowboy builders that do the job half-ar*ed, like the ones my parents got in County Tipp which didn't fill out the gaps with expanding foam or use proper filler outside. I don't mind paying extra or the job taking longer if it's properly done. Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Depends on the house. In my old house which was a standard sort of house with standard window sizes and shapes, Jimmy Maher windows came highly recommended and duly turned up and did a super job. He was pretty much a perfectionist and wouldn't leave until it was perfect.

In my next house which was significantly bigger with correspondingly bigger windows which were all sorts of weird shapes none of the local crews would even quote me (not even Munster Joinery).. and on that occasion I ended up with Cresthaven due to how big the job was. They weren't cheap, but again, really, really stellar job.

So I have had two good experiences albeit for two very different types of job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

I have used Cresthaven on three occasions and have one more job to do this year, always excellent workmanship, well finished and easy to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I had Pat Kerley do a porch for me and i know him well enough, he also did a few jobs in work for us, I use Cresthaven for spare parts for work etc both of these guys are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

If you goal is make your house warmer, often windows would be one of the less effective ways of doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...so single glazing, with poor fitting is okay, and doesnt effect insulation all that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

It depends on the property. Single glazing will be a weak spot, but even quad glazing, which is sold in Ireland now can be a weak spot in your insulation. I don't know if the OP has single or double, but having a good seal is the most important thing. Sometimes a poor seal can be cheaply fixed. New double glaze is high performance and it has a lot of advantages over single or even old double glaze, but Id argue ventilation/airtightness would be more important to do first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭RubyK

We got new windows from Bunhamon Joinery last summer, highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭deisemum

We've gotten windows from Pat Kerley and Harris Windows and were happy with both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Is Pat a local man? I never heard of that surname.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Not Waterford but South Kilkenny I'm pretty sure, but just to echo others we got the whole house done and very happy with the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mfgssdr2

Jimmy Maher put in new balcony doors for us last month. It was an absolutely brilliant service from start to finish. Everything was very easy to arrange and completely reliable. Jimmy and his team arrived very punctually. They worked really hard and did a super job. They were also very friendly and good humoured. I would recommend this company very highly!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 feckwunker

If you're going to shill the least you could try to be less blatant about it.

Advertisement