Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texas School shooting 19 children and 2 adults murdered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I beginning to think it's the only way this stops ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Jim touched on that. Every time one of these shootings happens I think of this vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,672 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Seems logical that kids and staff should have electronic passes to get inside a school, a fcking nobody should never be able to walk in off the street, apartments have it, why not schools

• Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Suspect is hispanic populace of the town is majority hispanic, I don't know the identity of the victims. It didn't seem relevant to the ongoing discussion about GRT (Great Replacement Theory), and there was no stated terrorist or political motive. Just that he was suspected of murder and on the run already when this mass shooting took place.

Counterfactual; he was already on the run for murder. I suppose one way or the other you might have indignation that a criminal was killed while shooting at or killing police, you might have also had indignation if the criminal suspect was unarmed but killed by arresting officers from 'fear for their lives etc.' imho that would not have been the most appropriate carriage of justice for the underlying murder charge, ... "the witness has rights" I think is what Tom Cruise said to the judge right after he proved to everyone in the courtmartial that Jack Nicholson's character was a disgrace to the law and to his uniform and had ultimately caused the murder of a young marine.

You can drink in Dubai and pretty sure you can live together. Texas like a lot of the South have dry counties were alcohol is illegal, but you can have your assault rifle to kill your kids classmates.

• Advertisement

Armed security and metal detectors haven't stopped it ,only a case recently a child brought a parents gun into school in a back pack ,

Guns need to be dealth with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭CPTM

I've a strange phobia of guns. Just holding one or being in the presence of one would make me incredibly uncomfortable even in a very controlled scenario. It's strange because it's not like Ireland pumps out anti gun rhetoric every day to children, so I don't know where I got it from.

Going to a gun range would not be enjoyable for me for example. So I'm not sure what I'd do if I lived there. Move probably!

You'd wonder what can be done...jesus someone,shooting a heap of kids,and lads getting political pops in,over the abortion debacle there

It would rot your soul,to think of it ever happening here,but the utter entrenchment of politians to place/protect their side above,working hand over fist to curtail it is demoralising in its short sightness

Id love to see an age breakdown of these school shooter,it always seems to be kids not out of teenage years,and even a simple compromise of no private guns until 21,could save so many kids lives

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Awful news but not in the least bit surprised unfortunately. It’s America and if nothing was done on the federal side after sandy hook then nothing will be done. Hungerford, port Arthur, and dunblane were all mass shootings like this tragedy today in Texas, but there’s one difference, and that was that action was taken to prevent them happening again.

Maybe they need a civil war to sort themselves out and reset.

With all due respect it seems pretty distasteful to egg on this notion.

• Advertisement

This is the norm, but not the rule, and depending on how relaxed a school has been, maybe they haven't adhered to such a rule, but you'd think with as many shootings in the US as there are, that would be the case. We don't know what the security situation was at the school as of yet (that I know of) and we don't know how he gained access.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

America is a dump.

Been a good few cases where the parents firearms were used, so while linking the ownership age to their drinking age wouldn't work, same as the drinking age doesn't.

Having requirements for the firearms to be kept in a locked gun safe might, and sure some areas in the states require it, but I know a few people who ignore that even here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Well, the more the merrier. There is a small chance this might get interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Damien360

This should be looked at in the same light as 1996 Dunblane in Scotland. A tragedy for all the families except the shooter. Ignore all the gun rights nonsense as it’s too ingrained in US culture to change. It’s a pity this whole event will be forgotten quicker than Dunblane and the debate will rage for all but one week until a celebrity speaks some irrelevant nonsense to make the news and the world will move on.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

One of the things that I laugh at is when you hear Americans say they have guns (yes, plural) for protection but they're locked away in a safe.

"I'm going to get this weapon to protect myself but it's going to take me an absolute age to get access to it for when I need to protect myself."

Anyone who says they lock their guns away but they need them for protection are liars of the highest order.

Horrific tragedy.

Let's politicise it.

Seriously though, absolutely unbelievable trauma. May the **** who did this rot in hell

Why do Americans say shooter instead of gunman?

They don't even like mentioning gun it seems.

Understandable, first experience firing a gun was at the range and you get a very kinetic sense of how deadly the bullet is when firing, from Newton's laws. That small 9mm bullet is launched with basically the same net force that is sent back into your hand. It's immense awe and undeniable fear, even for gun enthusiasts imho, of the kind of raw dispatching force you wield in your hand. Not unlike the nerves you get around heavy machinery, but with much higher stakes and room for error.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

A country that allows you to fight overseas and die before they let you legally buy a beer because it has a minor impact on drink driving deaths (as opposed to actually just policing drink driving). They are puritan about everything but guns. Inexplicable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,296 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wish I could say I'm shocked something like this could happen however sadly it is just all to common place in America now.

RIP to all those children and teacher.

Probably because gun gives the impression (to me at least) of a handgun , I.e. small. Shooter could be any weapon including automatic. Maybe it covers all bases for reporting purposes.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's possibly a tragedy for his family too - CNN reported that he also shot his grandmother before he went to the school. Seems to be a common thing that family members are killed before someone goes on a mas shooting spree.

Unfortunately this is a problem that seems to be unfixable. If serious federal intervention didn't happen after Sandy Hook, it's never going to happen. Unfortunately too many Americans are welded to that stupid notion of the Second Amendment, and any politician standing up against it is going to find themselves with a short political career.

I think it glamorises the perpetrator.

A dreadful term, let's Irish don't adopt it.

Glad you laugh at it. It's nothing to do with this tragedy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Not a surprise though and if America doesnt care theres nothinv can be done. Biden wont run for president again. Try and do something worthwhile.

Btw forget gun control. Control the ammunition.

How is it disrespectful , what other options is there , nothing else will or has worked in America , everytime this happens we hear of new tighter controls which by the time the politicians and gun rights groups get their way the new gun controls amount to nothing ,

Guns are the problem take them out of peoples hands and these massacres stop ,

It's a country built on massacres from American Indians to blacks massacres of people are a regular thing historically in America,

Common denominator every time unlimited access to firearms and ammunition

• Registered Users Posts: 32,998 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We will have the usual crowd of politicians asking for thoughts and prayers, until the next spree, then the next ......

Lets be honest, few in the US are serious about addressing this issue. If the murder of young kids at school isn't going to get the issue fixed, then what is?

Australia had an idea to sort out these types of events, and fixed it. But the will isn't there in the US to do it.

• Advertisement

Chris Rock had a sketch years ago saying you will never control guns but price the ammunition to insane levels. The sketch had a guy saying “I’d shoot you if this ammo didn’t cost me so much”. It’s not actually a bad idea to circumvent the second amendment but not sure how practical it would be. But it is the only time I’ve heard a genuine attempt at a solution to the problem.

Advertisement