Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Unpopular Rugby Opinions

• 24-05-2022 8:43am

I've seen these "unpopular opinion" threads pop up in a few various sections so why not get the ball rolling here?

My unpopular opinion would be that the Gallagher Premiership isn't as good as its made out to be and ringfencing it won't do it any good.

Post edited by awec on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Not sure that would be unpopular on Boards. It’s probably widely held.

My unpopular opinion is, Sexton will be our first choice 10 in 2023 and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Peter O'Mahony is very good.

Come at me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Unpopular opinion : Seán O'Brien was overrated and cost as many penalties as he won.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Unpopular opinion : with the style of play Farrell is favouring, it's far more important to have a reliable, steady 10 than a flaky genius. The other backs, and even forwards, are tasked with creating more and more. Ross Byrne should travel to the World Cup.

Connacht get a free pass from most Pundits.

Some of their fans care more about what players they can sign from another province or from abroad than those Connacht actually develop themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Players are effectively indoctrinated from a young age into believing that being professional rugby players is a desirable lifestyle, when it is not. It takes a brutal human toll on men, and not just the Steve Thompson's of this world, but also the Ian McKinley's who will never see properly again, the Dan Leavy's who may struggle to hike a mountain with hids kids when he's forty. Almost all of them will live with physical pain for the rest of their lives, and many of them will have cognitive loss and sensitivity to light for life. And the vast majority of them are bit-part pros who will end their careers without the fulfillment of success or material financial reward for what they sacrificed career-wise.

And we, the fans, are the cause of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

The Munster Supporters Choir is unbelievably cringey

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

There is no country in the world that is worse for talking up their players than Ireland. We tend to ignore the shortcomings of some players or change the narrative to ensure our pet players are coccooned from criticism. New and shiny toy is a massively prominent mentality within provincial fans.

Leinster/Ireland have a scrum problem. But you'll rarely if ever see if commented that Furlong was bested. After the England game, the finger was correctly pointed at the officiating but, in terms of Irish players, all the focus was on Healy/Sheehan when Furlong was the one whistled 4 times. It's not the first time and won't be the last. Furlong is currently in sacred cow territory and can do no wrong (he is a world class player, for the record).

Craig Casey is never going to be in the same bracket as Conor Murray was. His decision making and kicking is miles off. He played against 13 men away to Exeter and couldn't steer his team over the line. He played against an exhausted Toulouse team and lacked control, getting caught in possession on more than one occasion in ET and kicking it away aimlessly multiple times. If Murray had been on the field and not gassed, Munster would have won.

Leinster will have a post-Schmidt type period once Sexton retires. Similar to the exodus of BOD and Nacewa, there's going to be a significant drop in standards and they will fail to replicate the current performances regardless of talent coming through.

Billy Burns is, quite comfortably, the only outhalf in Ireland who can hold a candle to Sexton in terms of linking up with his back line and attacking the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

ROG is not one of the best Irish players of the professional era. He had too many mediocre and outright awful performances to be considered on the level of BOD, POC or Sexton.

He peaked in the 06/07 season and declined rapidly after that.

Post edited by Clegg on

I'll disagree as I believe the prevailing opinion in Ireland is that the GP is a poor league which is overblown by BT. And I think the truth is somewhere in the middle. All the leagues have their moment in the sun.

My unpopular opinion on it is that it was comfortably the best league last season in terms of entertainment but many Irish fans will utterly refuse to drop the chip on their shoulder and admit this. The final weeks were incredible.

Some years the GP is brilliant, some years it's crap. Same with URC (more often crap than not in recent years) and same with T14 (generally the most competitve overall consistently).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

And even after all that you'll still get some people calling players 'gutless' if they lose a match they were expected to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Unpopular opinion: Being a rugby player or fan does not convey moral or any other superiority over soccer players and fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So what you’re trying to say is, Furlong is no John Hayes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Unpopular opinion. Billy Burns is the second best starting 10 in Ireland. Watching him play behind a mediocre Ulster pack and seeing how he is creative and effective is interesting. Despite the widely held view to the contrary, he can goal kick. Just that Cooney and Doak are better. Burns has great pace and is a fine passer of the ball and he doesn't hide 20 metres behind the gain line. He isn't Sexton though and that seems to be his greatest crime. I don't think he is brilliant but he doesn't deserve his current reputation as being shyte squared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭TRC10

Nice to see I'm not the only one who thinks Billy Burns is actually a good player

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

The problem is his goal kicking stats are NOT up to International Standards therefore he's a liability as neither our current 9 or 15 kick - and its like saying Sean Cronin is good around the park (but he can't throw and he's a crap scrummager) - He's a poor man's Paddy Jackson.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Burns is a very capable goal kicker.

In the two seasons where hes taken more than 10 kicks at goal hes been above 80% for both.

2017: 85% (40 / 47)

2020: 83% (10 / 12)

hes also 100% for Ireland in 2020 with 7 from 7

his issue is, at times, he hasnt been the main kicker in the teams hes played for.

Doak and Cooney are better kickers for Ulster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Unpopular opinion (he says, bracing for the backlash…):

Leinster underperform with regards their numbers thru the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Probably true. Although when games are dead certs 95% of the time they don’t tend to be too interesting.

Mine would be that Irish fans are actually pretty rubbish. Very conservative and happy to sit and watch games quietly.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Unpopular opinion.... I don't have an unpopular rugby opinions

😜

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

We are certainly the best band wagon fans around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

All fans are bandwagon fans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

Drinking in your seat should be banned

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭busy bee 33

Abolish Ireland’s call. Amhrán Na bhFiann or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Unpopular opinion.....The Lions tour is outdated and should be binned...

It has served its purpose but is irrelevant now....

Just Like the Barbarians....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Even as someone from a unionist background I never had any problem before Ireland's call was introduced to just the Irish national anthem being sung.

BTW I've watched the Angelus on RTE before the evening news bulletin on many occasions and it never has bothered me doing so.

The better you were at rugby the less likely you are to wear branded gear from your province.

A surefire way to know if someone is talking nonsense in analysis is if they start to question the moral calibre of a player (ie they resort to words like cowardly, gutless etc). This should be self-evident considering the bravery they show stepping onto the pitch, but it's a very common trope in professional and amateur analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RAKM

Paddy Jackson should be playing for Ulster and Ireland.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement