Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro Stage 16 - Salò to Aprica (202km)

• 24-05-2022 9:38am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Into the final and tough week. So do Ineos control, Bora blow it up or Almeida pace away from everyone? Time to find out who wins the Giro starting with todays grueling 3 Cat. 1 climbs. 19km at 6%, 12.8km at 7.5% and a monster 12.7km at 8.1% (final 6km or so at 10%). Should be fun. Too late for starting odds but the usual suspects are there - Carapaz, Hindley, Landa, Yates, Ciccone, Nibali and Almeida. Break or not we should see some GC action on the final climb at least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Martin, Valverde & Arensman all away in the break

5th day in the break for Bais. Over 600km now overall, but I don't think today will count for the breakaway competition as I think it has to be less than 10 riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

This has been a fascinating stage so far

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

This is a big test for Ineos right from the start. How many of them will be left by the last climb?

Bora have got Kelderman & Kamna in the break as well, and neither are doing any work.

Ominous...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

stage started early?

Yeah just after 10am.

Wheel change for Keldermann there, if swear if he didn't have bad luck he'd have no luck.

EDIT: Oh wow they got back on, chapeau.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

That fan running alongside Valverde was really annoying. Pity Hugh Carthy wasn't able to clock him properly

If proof was ever needed that the Italians don't do a days work you just need to see them packing the roadside on a Tuesday afternoon 😄

Who is left for Ineos... I only see Sivakov with Carapaz

Edit: Rob Hatch just answered my question

• Advertisement

Nibbles going for a kamikaze descent??!!

My ears are bleeding from the sound coming from Hugh Carthy's disc brakes 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 24,017 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Hilarious that this climb isn't categorised

Stage winner is going to come from the GC group i think, break's lead is collapsing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Made for Carapaz now much as I dislike the idea.

Actually I take that back. Kamna is looking solid. Been a long day though.

Awful shame we lost the likes of Superman and Bardet.

Yeah Rob Hatch mentioned it was the same guys fighting it out again and I immediately thought except without Bardet.

Big win for Jan Hirt!!!!!

• Advertisement

Bonus seconds photo finish - gona be interesting

Almeida held on well but his problem is that the other guys will chip away at him during the week enough that the time trial won't be enough. He needs to try something or he'll have to settle for top 5. He is the one I'm cheering on here but I don't think he can do it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

And isn't it just wonderful, that Valverde was 5th and moves into the top 10 on GC.

Glory days.

G. Martin is now 25mins back, so he's perfectly placed to take half of it back again in another breakaway tomorrow

The last of the grupetto have finished; about 8 minutes inside the time limit.

I'm not really one for closely following the socials so missed all this, let's hope MvdP can win another stage 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cappuccino after 11 (or 12) seems to offend wannabe Italians more than actual Italians. Herbie Sykes not having a belt of the "controversy" on twitter anyway.

Advertisement