Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dexcom G6 Garmin Datafield

• 23-05-2022 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, I'm a Type 1 diabetic and I recently got a Dexcom G6 glucose monitor. In the USA Garmin allow you to download a dexcom datafield and display it on a cycling computer.

There are 3rd party apps available which supposedly allow you to do this outside of the USA also. Just wondering has anyone done this successfully as I can't get it to work despite hours spent on Youtube.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Welshkev

Yes, I've done it and it's great, a real game-changer.

These are the instructions I followed: https://nightscout.github.io/nightscout/new_user/

There was a bit of trial and error and trying a few different things out but got there in the end. Suggest you put a couple of hours aside to work though it and concentrate fully as there's a lot of dependants that work through the system.

You also need to download the app from Garmin connect and select that as a field on your Garmin device.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 slow pedelar

Brilliant. Thank you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had it working on my watch but could never get my older Garmin to do it and had to piggyback it through my phone but that was the older Dexcom. Currently on the Medtronic Guardian but thankfully due an upgrade in September and will be switching over to the T slim pump and the Dexcom sensor. Very excited to get my CGM data up on the Wahoo rather than having to glance at a watch. I hated races where my pump would start beeping and I couldn't tell was it high or low, and the comments about whose mobile is going off. To the point where i just silenced the alrms for race time. I think once I can get it on my Wahoo at least I'll know if its time for sugar or accepting I am just beaten. Let me know how you get on with it, I am hoping it is as useful as I expect it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭philten

Nice to see some t1 diabetics in this forum! I use medtronic cgm and used nightscout to get bs reading to garmin fenix watch but was a bit of a faff tbh. I just pull out the medtronic to see the reading and have it on vibrate to alert if blood sugar dropping or rising.

Have a while before I can upgrade but tempted to go with a dexcom sensor and tslim pump next. Be interested to hear how you get on with it after you change from medtronic @CramCycle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had the same but I had to use the Contour USB as a go between and have it plugged into my mobile in my back pocket. Needless to say, even with straps, it wasn't kind to the USB-C connection on my phone and hence when I changed to Medtronic I didn't bother trying to get it back up and running. It was good but if you had to take your phone out a lot for work/life, then it constantly snagged the cable. I didn't like the alarm for hi/lo for sports as you never knew what it was mid race. Fine for any other type of cycling, and doable for racing but you had to be near the back to reduce the risk to other riders or off the front. AFAIK mine is due in September so Ill let you know then (or remind me if I forget about the thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement