Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artists who reached #1 with their first or only top 10 despite multiple chart entries

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Not quite a #1, but pretty damn close. INXS reached #2 in 1987 with "Need You Tonight", surprisingly the only time they hit the UK top 10. They were held off the top spot by Robin Beck's "First Time" and I'd argue NYT is the better-remembered of the two songs.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=w-rv2BQa2OU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

That was at the second time of asking. It originally underperformed 12 months earlier. Back then - October 1987 - my local disco used play it on a Friday night with Mediate straight afterwards. By the time, I reached #2, they had released three more singles from Kick, none of which did great chart business. Devil Inside missed out on the top 40, albeit the lack of a widely available radio edit didn't help airplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

Devil Inside was a huge hit in the US, reached no. 2 there.

Mystify, also from the album Kick wasn't released until March 1989, and reached the UK Top 20. This was despite the album having been launched in September 1987, could you imagine that happening now?

Yes, there were a few albums back then which had a long shelf-life for their singles

Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction (released July 1987, final single Nightrain released July 1989)

Def Leppard - Hysteria (released August 1987, final single Rocket released January 1989)

Michael Jackson - Bad (released August 1987, final single Liberian Girl released July 1989)

Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation 1814 (released September 1989, final single State Of The World released February 1991)

Michael Jackson - Dangerous (released November 1991, final single Gone Too Soon released December 1993)

Another one, Scottish pop-rock band Pilot, topped the charts in 1975 with this. They'd 3 other singles peaking between numbers 11 and 34

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YnQZ5AHUk2U

• Advertisement

On the subject of the Rhythm Nation 1814 album, did you know that none of the singles from it charted higher than #15 in the UK? The title track only reached #23!

Yes, well aware of its relative commercial failure on this side of the world. My local shop would only get a handful of copies in of each single. Would love to a proper SDE of it with all the single edits, remixes & extended mixes.

In the US, Pink Floyd topped the charts with their only top 10, "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2".

It was also Oliver Cheatham's only UK top 10 hit, with the original version of "Ģet Down Saturday Night" and the follow-up to Make Luv, another Room 5 collaboration "Music & You" both peaking at #38! In total Cheatham had 7 top 100 hits in the UK, with none of the others reaching the top 75

While she had several top 10s as a member of N-Dubz, Tulisa's only solo top 10 was the 2012 chart-topper "Young". Follow-up singles "Live It Up" (featuring US rapper Tyga) and "Sight of You" peaked at Numbers 11 and 18 respectively. 

I actually quite liked this song, it knocked the awful "Call Me Maybe" off of the top spot. But it was overshadowed by a similarly titled song by the band fun., which I also quite liked.

• Advertisement

21 Savage is now off the UK list. Three songs from his collaborative album with Drake have gone into the top 10.

US rockers Orson topped the UK chart in 2006 with "No Tomorrow". Three further singles peaked between numbers 11 and 27.

You'd think "Would I Lie to You?" was Charles & Eddie's only hit, but they had three other UK top 40 hits peaking between numbers 29 and 38. Yet it's their signature song, which reached #1, that was their only song to crack the top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭gabria

Discovered a new one - Billy Bragg. He reached the top spot in 1988 with the Beatles cover She's Leaving Home , part of double A-side with Wet Wet Wet's cover of With a little help from my friends. He released some other singles and EPs between 1985-2005, none of which charted higher than #11

"It was summertime in northern Michigan..."

Mr. Bob Ritchie's only UK top 10 hit after several years of reaching the lower parts of the top 40, went all the way to #1... he never had a UK top 40 hit again.

Stevie B topped the Billboard Hot 100 with his only Top 10 hit in his native US, "Because I Love You (The Postman Song)". He had five other top 40 hits outside the top 10.

Another one for the list. This reached #1 in the UK in 1987 on the back of the film of the same name.

He had three other UK top 40 hits, including the original release of this song, which only got to #27.

And, in the US, this classic was Meat Loaf's only #1 and top 10. He had several other US top 40 hits though.

Can you believe that? Indeed, between BOOH1 and BOOH2 he wasn't highly commercially successful, and was beset by bankruptcy.

Bat Out Of Hell II is the worst-sounding vinyl album I've ever heard. 75 minutes of music on one LP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

This was also his only #1 in the U.K. as well, but he did have some other Top 10 entries both before and after in the U.K. charts.

Poor Ava Max is now on her SIXTH UK top 40 single with the Kygo collaboration "Whatever", which has yet to reach the top 10.

Advertisement