Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling holiday recommendations

Options
  • 22-05-2022 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any good recommendations on place to go for a cycling holiday this time of year? I have been to Tenerife a few times and love it, but feel it is time to try something different.

Would be looking for some of the things Tenerife is able to offer like great weather, stunning scenery, long not too challenging climbs, cheap beer, good food, stuff to do on days off. Girona seems to be popular at them moment but I know nothing about it.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I went to Girona a few weeks ago with some lads from my club. Plenty of great routes there including the Costa Brava - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/88306845

...or the Rocacorba climb (~10km with average of 8%) - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/88307218

We stayed in this cycle friendly hotel:

Hotel costabella
    Avinguda da Franca 61
    17007 Girona 
    Costa Blanca
    Catalunia

There are a number of places in Girona that hire decent road bikes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Check out Dan Craven's website , ourgirona (should've gone with mygirona) for some great routes. The st. Hilarii climb and to the dam is good one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Enduro

Ha! So true. Who ever came up with the name clearly hadn't got the knack of coming up with something truly memorable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I was in Girona in September last year, really enjoyed it despite being nowhere near fit enough! I had to abandon Rocacorba half way up for example...

Great little town, amazing restaurants, nice sightseeing too.

I've previously done Mallorca, staying in Puerta Pollensa and enjoyed the cycling more although the town itself was a bit meh in the evenings, felt much more like a tourist resort than an actual town. That said it did have a beach!

edit so say that we're planning on returning to Mallorca this year but most likely to a different town such as Inca that might have a bit more about it and also gives better access to some of the better routes without needing a bus transfer etc.

Post edited by mr spuckler on

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

How about Slovenia? Beautiful country, great roads, good drivers, great scenery, relatively cheap. And it's the cleanest country I've ever been to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Harder to get to but it certainly is a beautiful place. Having driven the Vrsic pass before I'd love to give it a bash on a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

I strongly recommend French Pyrenees if you have legs to cycle big mountains. Flight to Lourdes and you are 40 minutes away from the bottom of Tourmalet, Col d'Aubisque etc.. You can truly feel the spirit of Tour de France.

I did French and Mallorca holidays one after another and French Pyrenees was way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭fat bloke

We spent 2 weeks in Mallorca over Easter and while it was great and fantastic and all that, I did think that the place had deteriorated slightly from its previous heights terms of being a premium cycling holiday destination. A sort of post covid hangover dip in standards. One of the bike rental places clearly hadn't upgraded their bikes in a number of years and they were well passed their best. Not in good order. Similarly a lot of the roads were in disrepair and badly in need of resurfacing.

Money needs to be spent to reverse the trend or cyclo tourists will go elsewhere.

Girona is a great destination for cycling too. Great selection of roads and routes and bike hire places.

Advertisement