If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Damage to rental.

  • 21-05-2022 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9 sun2022

    Just wondering, I intend to replace a hob I have damaged in my rental. It was already old and damaged when we moved in, but I chipped the corner of the hob which I take full responsibility for.

    i have a question, how in general should I handle this, should I buy an entire new one, or is it the case that I would only have to part pay as it was already heavily used and damaged when we moved in?

    it Is still fully functioning and safe but of course I understand that this bit of damage was my doing.

    i can replace it discreetly, or I can tell the landlord but I’m just wondering is it better to say nothing and replace it, or is it the case that I don’t owe the full cost of replacement since it was so worn in the first place? It’s hard to find this out so hoping for advice, also don’t mean to come across as scabby, I have replaced other things that were broken on our arrival and not complained just this is a big expense so wanted to see what the situation is! Thank you in advance!


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

    You can't replace it without the LL approval.

    If you have a fair LL they might be happy to leave the damaged but working one & for you to pay something towards the next one when LL does replace it.

  • Registered Users Posts: 7,617 ✭✭✭whippet

    Don't replace anything with out discussing it with the landlord .. it is his property and his hob

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭brainboru1104

    You should tell the landlord, they might be reasonable and replace it themselves or only ask for part contribution.

  • Better letting the landlord do it, they can write off the tax against it. Depending on the age of the hob they might be OK replacing it themselves if not offer a contribution for the damage you caused, the fact it was well used you should not be liable for the full cost of a new hob.

  • Registered Users Posts: 9 sun2022

    Thanks everyone, I will let him know it is damaged and see what he says!

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

    I chipped our hob at home badly and fixed it with this stuff, it's brilliant near invisible repair. They were only chips but it says you can do larger repairs, look on youtube and see. The key part of this was the lacker it matched the glass very well

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

    Just leave it. Say nothing. If it was already damaged he wont notice and he will be repairing it anyway when it is damaged enough.

    Thats what people would do in their own houses if they chipped the hob. They would curse and swear for a while and then just learn to live with it.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Fian

    Actually no they can't write it off against tax, at least not immediately. They can claim a capital allowance for the cost of the hob over 8 years.