Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Cailin Ciuin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭No Bills

• Registered Users Posts: 6,778 ✭✭✭sporina

its fannnnnntastic... go see (but bring tissues)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This is a properly gorgeous film - gentle and elegant but really moving. Beautifully acted, wonderfully shot, and just overall something very special. There can be a tendency to over praise or over criticise Irish films, but the rave reviews from both sides of the Irish Sea are well deserved here. Go to see it if you can - a big moment for Irish language cinema.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mark Kermode was most praiseworthy of this, seems to be championing it a little

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Really loved this. Could easily see it being a player in the best international film Oscar race next year.

• Advertisement

sure was - honestly.. never been moved by a movie like that before.. "mov'-ie" personified (to me)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Went to see it tonight, just brilliant. I’m always wary of rave reviews as expectations can be set too high then, but it was so moving. Just gorgeous.

i have never been affected by a movie like that before.. twas like I was being drawn in - without knowing.. twas quite meditative really upon reflection..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Didn't feel like I was watching actors (the family, the girl). Really glad I went to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

I'm always wary when it comes to irish films, and usually that's not without cause. I'd read universally good reviews but even then I feel sometimes irish critics when reviewing irish films may be slightly liberal with their praise. It's hard to sort the wheat from the chaff but in this case the reviews where spot on. It is absolutely brilliant. Sincere and genuinely moving, there was definitely potential to veer over into mawkishness but thankfully that never happened. The acting from everyone is superb, it's almost like watching a documentary it's that well done. I used to visit relatives down the country when I was kid and this is ridiculously accurate in capturing life on a farm in rural Ireland. I think its set during the 1970s which adds to this atmosphere of stillness and quiet which is lovely. Go see it if you haven't already, not because it's an irish film and you wanna do your duty but because its simply a really good movie.

• Advertisement

a powerful review - fab.. yep - twas sooooo good..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭rogber

Saw it in the IFI recently followed by Q&A with director and cast.

Can only echo all the other comments, it's a beautiful film and weepy without being at all sentimental.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the source material: the story/novella Foster by Claire Keegan. A beautiful piece of contemporary literature, and this is a rare case where both book and film are equally excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I saw this yesterday. I was aware that it was as being praised and had won at the IFTAs but knew nothing else and honestly I was grim and depressing.

What a fantastic movie. Brilliant performances, a heartbreaking story, fabulous cinematography and filmmaking.

You know a mile off that the Kinsella’s have a secret and can easily guess what it is - it has been done a thousand times - but how it unfolds and the aftermath make it seem new.

The kid is an absolute treasure.

I haven’t yet been brought to tears by a movie but I came damn close when Seán left the Kimberley biscuit on the table for Cáit.

I have the book but actually don't wanna read it having watched the film; I dunno why - a combination of the fear that I might loose the magic of the film or that it might affect me even more deeply (though I am lucky to be able to say, I had a great childhood; good parents, food and shoes etc... and got to run free in the countryside)

Post edited by sporina on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭rogber

I can only urge you to have a rethink. The book is exquisite and the small differences between book and film are also very interesting to observe.

But yes, maybe at the end of summer, when the images from the film have faded a bit and the book can be read on its own terms :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Davy05

Is it only in cinema's or can it be streamed anywhere?

Went to see this last night. An absolutely stunning little movie. The cinematography was beautiful.

i really think its worth seeing in cinema.... in order to fully get into the vibe of the movie.. like, its kinda meditative - zero distractions needed in order to feel its full impact.. well, that would be my thinking on it anyway.. depends on the person I guess.. if your not easily distracted then at home might be ok..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Saw it a few days ago and thought it was great.

When she ran to the well on her own and fell in, I thought she was going to drown, that would have been beyond dark

• Advertisement

yes, I was like, if "this" happens, i'm walking out.. 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 28,774 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's a gorgeous film, isn't it? So evocative for those of us who grew up in the 70's/80's.

My niece has a part in it, so we were at the showing for the opening of the DIFF - and while I'd heard about it, and the book, I wasn't prepared for the effect the ending would have on me - I was in absolute ribbons coming out of the cinema!

Between it, and Arracht (couldn't be more different, but equally gorgeous), and Róise and Frank (which I haven't seen, but is on my list), all collecting awards all over the shop, the Irish language in film is having quite a moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Every single aspect of this is just magical. Honestly, one of the best films I've seen in years. I would urge everyone to go see it. It's magnificent.

I never go back to the cinema a 2nd time to watch a movie, but I did for this. Just as remarkable on 2nd viewing. The cinematography is extraordinary; the performances magical; it's almost a meditative experience in some ways.

Is this still eligable for the awards season next year? It really is that good.

"meditative" for sure.. my sentiments exactly.. twas like the director brought us down to the basics.. then BOOM.. and I wasn't expecting it.. I felt angry for a time.. but then touched.. it really was beautifully made

Yes I kept thinking something bad was going to happen the child.

I kept telling myself drowning in the well was way too predictable but the way scene unfolded - and so slowly - my heart stopped. I was so relieved to see her walking across the field the at I nearly cried.

It was a delight to hear Wanderly Wagon playing on the TV off screen.

I hadn’t heard of Rosie & Frank. I would look it up - will keep an eye out though. Thanks for mentioning it.

Getting to a cinema is difficult but I want to go see this again too.

I really wanted this movie to just keep on going

I had assumed before going that the movie was going to be set in the Gaeltacht so was surprised that it was Waterford.

Was there households and communities around Ireland at that time Irish was the first language?

Or was it simply the desire of the filmmakers for Irish to be the primary language of the film regardless?

• Advertisement

i actually asked the director about this - his answer was "We made it under the Cine4 scheme which is for Irish-language films and is funded by TG4, Screen Ireland and the BAI"

Advertisement