Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going part-time and 10 years from pension age

Options
  • 20-05-2022 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

I spoke on this discussion board re being a nurse and being unable to work 3 x 13 hour shifts in a row. I have now been offered a part-time job - 2 grades up, so instead of getting 62k for full-time hours, which includes shift allowance - 20 Sundays per year, and an extra qualification allowance - basic pay 50k, I will now be moving 2 grades up to an Admin (Complaints Dept) role, where I will be starting on 84k, but my pay will be half of this so 42k as the role is part-time - 17.5 hrs per week. I have been asked if I could consider a full-time post in this - the work is 9 to 5 when it comes up in September, but I don't think I would - being in a Complaints Dept in Healthcare is tough mentally. I need to take the part-time 17.5 hr post, and move from full-time nursing post, as being in my 50s, I can no longer manage shift work, and I have other health issues which make me tired. Is moving from 62k per year to 42k per year disasterous for pension purposes. I have very little pension so far, equivalent to 3K per year for working in HSE for 17 years part-time, and I will have about 4k per year further if I stay in current private healthcare company. I contribute currently 300 per month for AVCs. I will be short about 7 years for full Irish pension, but have contributed to my UK State Pension, and now have 22 years there. My family are all for working until you drop, but I really want to go part-time, do people think I'm mad in terms of income and pension. I don't have a mortgage, but kids in college, but they have no accommodation costs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Take it. You know yourself that full time will only get harder-to-impossible as you age.

You will be making more from part time than many make full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I'll give a non-financial perspective on this.

My mother was a nurse from the age of 17 until she retired at the age of 60 - when she had a heart attack on the way in to her shift in ICU.

She had constant service apart from when she had to quit for 10 years due to the marriage bar. This affected her pension and she topped up with AVCs to bring it back up to line but was alway chasing her tail especially towards the end. She did the 7 days on 7 days off night shift ... always said that she was able for it physically - but in hindsight of course she wasn't.

When she did retire she was diagnosed with early onset dementia and never got to really enjoy her retirement that she worked so hard for. Her generous pension subsequently was used to pay for her nursing home care until she passed away at a relatively early age. While I can't ever confirm it I do blame the stressful work and physical and mental impact of shift work for the deterioration in her brain.

What this has thought me is that retirement is there to be enjoyed and one's health going in to retirement is more important than the extra few quid in the pension. You will have put your kids through college, have no mortgage so what goes around comes around and if you need support in your twilight years you have it available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think you should do it - go part time. €42K is a very good salary for 17.5 hours work. Could you look into putting more money into your pension as you have no mortgage to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Thanks to all of you for your advice. I think I will just take the part-time work. The thought of spending the next 10 years working full-time in a highly stressful environment, with mega amounts of workplace politics, and backstabbing, and having to 'watch one's back' all the time, is just hugely depressing and life sapping, but I could do it if I only did 3 days per week. I also often get small amounts of consultancy work from time to time, out of my day job, which brings in about another 4k per year - I have an extra qualification that allows me to do this.

Advertisement