Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Maths Studies Maynooth University

Options
  • 20-05-2022 6:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Looking for information concerning Maths Studies at Maynooth University. My son is presently studying maths and economics at UCD (B. Soc Sc, 4 year) but he is struggling with the maths. Originally he had planed to do Arts at Maynooth University with the intention of getting a degree in maths studies and economics (3 year) but at the last minute changed his mind on the CAO application form. My question concerns the difference between maths and maths studies, is maths studies in Maynooth easier/less abstract than maths in UCD? Are there any Maynooth maths students who can advise me? Thanks

Post edited by Shield on
    Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Could you provide a link to the course's website? My searching is yielding nothing immediate to have a look at the modules for.

However, I'd suggest that if he's struggling with maths, perhaps maths studies is not the way to go?

Assuming https://www.myucd.ie/courses/social-sciences/economics-mathematics-statistics/ is the UCD course, which modules is he struggling with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Historyman

Thanks for the reply

He is struggling with 2 modules Multivariable Calculus and Algebraic Structures. Unfortunately boards will not let me post links but if you google MH101 (Art maynooth) and then click on Group 3 and then click on Mathematical Studies you should get information on Maths Studies.

I should have mentioned he is in second year and just completed his second year exams but feels he will fail maths. He did a reasonable Leaving cert in 2019 and got a H3 in maths and H4 in Applied maths.

My question is is Maths in UCD more theoretical while Math's Studies in Maynooth maybe easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,242 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You might be best to phone the Maths dept in Maynooth to discuss. I do know that UCD, Trinity and Maynooth all run fairly high level maths courses. And calculus & algebra are pretty core components of a lot of maths. Maybe he can get a bit of help via tutorials and friends in UCD? Maybe also needs to think where he wants to go with his studies, what are his interests etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Maths studies in Maynooth is no easier than other general maths courses.

Multivarate calculus courses are usually the same in most universities. I compared the Algebraic Structures module in UCD to the equivalent module on the Maths Studies course (Group Theory) and they are essentially the same.

As others have said, perhaps the course is just not for him. Has he been attending the maths support centre regularly in UCD?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi.

I don't know how you managed to end up in our "Test forum" but here we are! This forum is for users to test out how the forum works. It is not used for discussions of any kind. Testing only.

Try asking your question in our Maynooth forum below. You are likely to get more replies from people actually studying there.

https://www.boards.ie/categories/maynooth-university

Discussion closed.

-Shield.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement