Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heifer

Options
  • 19-05-2022 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi all, have a heifer I noticed about a month or so ago very lose, dosed her with levafas diamond and she seemed to dry up for a short while but it's running straight out of her again the past few days.

She had begun to lose bit of weight and has that sunken in look to her now, I've also noticed she's starting ylto lose condition.

Should I just send off a sample to see what the issue is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,141 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What age is she

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

She'll be just turning 2yrs now

Get her tested for johnes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Thanks for that. Will be doing dung sample anyway.

Have heard of johnes alright but don't know what it is. Can anyone explain what it is exactly?

How is it tested for and is it contagious?

• Advertisement

It would have to be pure water for it to be johnes

Normally they exhibit symptoms after 3 years. You could isolate her in the mean time while waiting on the test.

Johnes infected animals would have a condition score of 1. They would have a very gaunt appearance

We test all animals over 2 for johnes annually. Some 2 year olds do test positive. Not all positive ones show symptoms and testing isn't 100% reliable. Scouring is one of the later symptoms

Advertisement