Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible first foray into EV ownership as a petrol head

Options
  • 25-02-2022 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭

Hi All, long time lurker in this EV section (have a few posts racked up in the ICE sections though) and I apologise for the long initial post.

We're considering changing Mrs Tracos 2007 ICE to an EV so info gathering at present. We have already decided it will be PCP. Looking at higher spec models and will be aiming for largest battery pack. AWD is nice to have but can be done without. Probably 222 at earliest or 231 reg even. The logic behind PCP is that if there is a massive tech change we at least know what the minimum value is. If they remain stronger or get stronger there is the upswing. If we go again in 3 years then I may buy this car out and use it as my daily whele Mrs Traco goes new again.

As a result I have a few questions.

Is there a website where I can compare all the models, sizes, range etc. I have already downloaded Tesla Bjorns spreadsheet but just wondering if there are other resources. I'm finding websites and dealers a bit lacking if I'm honest as models and specs seem to be changing quickly. The model threads are great but I think I'm getting more confused the more I read them. Is there new stuff on the Horizon that I should consider?

Vehicle wise we are moving from a Mercedes ML 320Cdi and while its big, thirsty and powered by the devils fuel it is still a very confortable place to spend miles. I'm 6'4" and a bench mark test is my ideal driving seat positioning and then me trying to sit behind that seat. I am a petrol head so daily a Superb Estate with 350k kms on it now and car also be found behind the wheel of a Transit several times a week. I also have a weekend luxury car and a mid engined sports car for fun or mondello. I am not anti EV and while resonable clued in I am no expert. I did have a very extended test drive in a M3P

The brief here is a long range comfortable family machine. Mrs Traco has one day a week in the office and that's the entire length of the M50, otherwise its WFH so very local spins and weekend trips.

Aside from all the gadgets I want comfort and good space, ideally 250-300ish kms range at GPS 120KPH on the motorway with heat and sounds. I'd like to stay below the 60k mark if possible but you know misison creep, man matsh etc etc.

To date I have looked at the BMW iX3 (Model M Sport Plus €81k), interior was a little cramped I thought, no way I would fit behind seat in my prefered driving position so drivers seat would need to be moved forward but good boot. Haven't driven it yet but its pricey, no frunk, looks more traditional but didn't feel as premium as BMWs I have owned in the past, I'd need to spend more time with it but it didn't feel like the price tag would suggest it should.

Ioniq 5 (Model 73 Premium Plus €55k) - much roomier inside but thought the headrest pushed my head forward a bit. I would need to really check this as no way i could live with that. It didn't seem to have any forward - back adjustment? I could get in behind my seat and space was adequate. I did drive it and it was very pleasant. Not sure about the screens and GUI so would need longer to assess, can the colour schemes of teh interfaces be changed, like is there "skins" available?? Exrterior / interior colour schemes very limited as she would like Navy and cream. The blue only comes with black interior and I don't want to be wrapping a car. I'll probably be shot here but I thought the boot was a bit small compared to what we have and also my own daily superb estate. On an airport run I can get easily get 3 full size suitcase and wheely bags into the boot of both current cars but the Ioniq seemed very shallow from floor to roof. I personally love the look of the Ioniq 5 and maybe its cos I'm old school the interior didn't wow me but maybe thats the new EV world.

Kia EV6 GT - to me this seems like the most appealing on paper. Not available until 2023 though and looks are a bit marmite. I think I like but I'm not sure. I do like the specs as they are posted today for 60k but whow knows how that will change as has been evdident in various threads.

Going to look at ID4, Enyaq and EV6 this afternoon and tomorrow. Not sure if Audi merits a look as they seem small at the target price and same goes for Merc.

Others - Volvo XC40 Recharge, just not sure about this one. Front grill bugs me and am I paying a premiun for an asian car with a European badge, mind you same can be said for the iX3 thats made in China. Tesla Model Y - not sure about the stle and no need for 7 seats. Will be in the US in March so may look at one there.

So if there are a list of good independent sites or resources I would appreciate it. Any really good youtube channels.

Also if anyone has any words of wisdom or feels teh need to set me staright please fire ahead.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭zg3409

Note prices of new are going up. Lead times of certain cars are 6months+

Tesla model Y will be in Irish soil soon, teslas gives access to Tesla supercharging network.

Most EVs with 60+kWh battery will get you 300km, more in the summer. You probably need to create your own spreadsheet with pcp costs. Note final value after the pcp is important to calculate as pcp deals vary a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

The interior of enyaqs can be lovely if you spec it up. And Skoda usually have a decent sized boot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Currently the only Tesla Model Y's available in Ireland ate the 5 seat variant, no word yet when the 7 seater version is coming.

As a petrol head how did you find the M3P?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭eltoastero

As an EV6 owner I highly recommend it. No hassle meeting your range and comfort requirements. My only point to note is that if you go GT-Line, that lower roofline + sunroof combo could cause you some trouble. I'm 5'10" and in the seat's lowest position my hair grazes the headliner (in fairness i've about an inch of hair there). But at 6'4" you might struggle even in the lowest seat position - I'd be interested to see what you think following your test drive (unless you test an Earth model with no sunroof - no issue with headspace I think).

If I were to go again I'd highly consider the Polestar 2 (Which wasn't really available when I was looking). Lovely looking thing and I'm sure it drives very well too. I also have a soft spot for the Ioniq5, my reason for ruling it out last year was due to the 72.6kWh battery not being available here (vs the 77kWh battery in the EV6) and I didn't like the "leather" seats in any of my 3 test drives (fabric all the way please).

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Base model Tesla Model 3 is circa 53K ( in white) & its pretty quick ( 300bhp) with a range of 400-450 kms in summer and actually comes with loads of tech that are options on other brands, if your pocket stretches a bit further a Model 3 Performance is savage especially if you're a petrol head and its a performance bargain you wouldn't be disappointed, it keeps up with much more expensive machinery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭Patser

Jaguar I Pace might be worth a look at, supposed to be a lovely drive, good looks and features and sits higher than a Model 3.

There's a new I Pace Black edition that has a lot of extra premium features included at about €80k price range.

A speaking as another ex-petrol head, you'll love EVs, acceleration from the start like nothing else

• Registered Users Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I saw my first MY recently, and I gotta say it's not a good looking car IMO. Looks basically like an M3 with a bubble on top

I know it's a very subjective viewpoint, and there's plenty of good aerodynamic reasons for it being the shape it is, but I still can't see myself lining up to get one

M3 on the other hand...👍

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I seen my first one up close recently and agree about the looks. And the 19" wheels look okay in pictures but looked horrible, to me, in the flesh.

But like you said it is subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

How about the Mustang Mach-E?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭fafy

For in excess of a 50k budget, as well as those mentioned i’d definitely be test driving the Polestar 2, starts at a little over 51k, plenty of range, power, and great design, open for test driving now.

https://www.polestar.com/ie/polestar-2/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Yeah you want a car that looks good if going for an EV. If the budget stretches, go for a BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I would say Rimac Nevara but you'll probably catch me out with the "on the road" part 😜

Post edited by the_amazing_raisin on

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Yes, thats the Ireland website, with after grant prices + delivery + metallic etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭eagerv

Looks like the Standard range single motor will be the only one that gets in under the grant, unless paint and delivery is very cheap and you add no extras to the long range single motor, which might still scrape in under the €55K.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Polestar not available to order yet in Ireland.

Look for a proper EV platform. Wait for BMW to make one, don’t buy their current half arse attempt with the i4 that has seen owners standard on the side of the road and serious short comings with regards to space and design constraints as it shares the ICE frame

Go test drive as many as you can and see what you like some like the minimal design of the Tesla, others like the Boeing 747 design with 100’s of buttons. It’s a really personal choice at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MakersMark

When I do take the EV plunge, assuming I can't get a Cybertruck or other e pickup, I'll be going for the most HP I can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

It's not available yet in eu but check out the nio et7. Closest in refinement and comfort in an ev. Fully charged did a really good review.

Biggest issues are that ev's don't quite offer the comfort a good ice delivers. Especially the ones you drive. Tread carefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Mr Q

And for some strange reason they have made the single motor version FWD.

Thats the fist EV i’ve seen with a potential range of 1,000 km, but likely to be close to 100k over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Full credit to Polestar for publishing CO2 figures for producing the car, but still fairly eye-watering numbers. Save the planet - Buy a new big heavy car, eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭loopymum

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

I seen loads of them now, was in the UK lately and they are everywhere (so seems plenty of people like them), their still not growing on me. I really don't like the look as you said looks M3 with a big bubble on top it's like something out of the Jetsons.

Still a big fan of the M3 looks.

Saw a few Polestars in the flesh, classy looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

I see only High spec Polestar 2 can be ordered now for July delivery.

Advertisement