Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reality as an executive officer in civil service?

• 19-05-2022 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi! So I have read the description and have an idea, but just that really with more personal experiences added in, Is it generally relaxed or high pressure? Have you enjoyed it? I’m looking to change career path entirely and am a bit wary in case it’s a big mistake! Currently in a high stress job with no flexibility and it’s time to move on for me!

Comments

everything depends on dept, unit, manager- genuinely

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sun2022

@[Deleted User] thanks I figured I was being a bit vague, but happy to hear of peoples personal experiences just to get an idea. I don’t know anyone at all in the job in any department so clueless! I understand different managers would make or break it as a nice job though particularly if they were not nice!

generally youd be maybe running a small team of clerical officers doing pretty standard work along pretty standard processes and youd be managing the quality, output, performance with maybe a bit of your time going towards planning and projects (where youd be feeding in at a low level to goals and checkpoints)

but thats "generally"!

@[Deleted User] thanks so much! Do you find it fits into much of the stereotype of it being a handy job (in general 😂) I’m not afraid of work by any stretch but the place I’m in now is horrendous for taking any entitlements ie impossible to book annual leave as chronically understaffed due to said working conditions. Basically I have young kids and rent to pay so I need somewhere that for the most part accommodates the needs of having a family?

Ive worked in places where EO was hardworking stressed job managing hardworking stressed people, and ive worked in places where its a very fair gig and the role was more process and planned work with no staff than busy operational stuff

in general, somewhere in between is definitely the norm and youd expect to have a decent weeks work see you finish predictably on time with your manager happy

• Advertisement

@snoopsheep that’s so helpful thanks do much. Did you ever have any major issues as an eo? Even in the worst area you worked that was stressful, was it something that could be improved on? My job at the moment is medical in nature so really high stress and if things are not done by a certain time there are serious consequences so I guess what I’m hoping to hear is that even at it’s worst this line of work won’t be as stressful or mentally taxing! I’m a bit terrified leaving a secure job at the moment with the cost of living and doing a probation again but at the same time I think it’s the right choice to do for my family. I just am afraid Of leaving a bad job for a worse one! Is it easy to move around once you get in there if it is a really stressful department? Is it true it’s nearly impossible to get sacked from the civil service? I’m sorry for all the questions!

The EO roles at the far end of stress that you cant change do exist, but as as far as I've observed they are in the minority.

Id say that even if you did land one of those roles youd be serving your time and then looking at yr options for rotation out (or, if you had ambitions that way, using the tougher role you had as a platform for advancement).

the worst place I ever worked had a stream of people getting EO them HEO or AO within two years because the work was clearly a cut above the usual, so its not like you dont see that rewarded (with the usual caveats!)

to address the rest:

youd be very unlucky to be put in an EO role as important as yr current role sounds where there weren't clear supports for you to lean on.

mobility policies are now well established for moving around once youve served eg two years i think would be the most ive seen enforced for a new joiner

historically its difficult to get sacked from anywhere! the civil service has very strong policies and defences and procedures to be followed in any disciplinary process. people not making their probation does arise, people being let go does arise but its extremely rare in my observation and in fact its a lot more likely these days that people resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Snoopsheep has gone a good job describing your possible scenarios coming in as a EO. You might end up in a pretty busy spot with some staff to manage but as long as you're reasonably capable you shouldn't have too much hassle handling it. The work tends to go to who can handle it, so you might have 2 EO's attached to the same place but one is useless and the other is a great worker, the better worker will be busier.

If you ended up in a place you didn't like for whatever reason you can apply for mobility straight away, do your 2 years and be on your way.

Post edited by EarlyStorms on

Advertisement